TIME MAGAZINE -Cult article - singles out Judge Rutherford

by Terry 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    It is a sad and claustrophobic life inside and those who hang in there are drained of life like zombies. Their happiness is a lived-in depression still waitin' on Jehovah.

That makes perfect sense. I think one of the contributing factors to my successful escape was that all my JW friends and most of my family turned their back on me when I became inactive due to my work schedule. By that time the people who were truly looking out for me were non-JWs.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Like many others, I too wonder what happened to the Cadillacs. If anyone can come up with the VIN numbers, perhaps they can be traced. Wouldn't it be cool to actually have at least one of them in working order? I'm sure lots of us folks would chip in to make it happen if they still exist and we could find them.

Oh well, just another pipe dream that's more fun to imagine than it is practical.

Thanks for posting this, Terry! It was a great find.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Oh yeah, forgot to point out that the article got Rutherford's name wrong. It's not James Rutherford, it was Joseph Franklin Rutherford.

They also failed to state that his self-styled title of "Judge" was on the basis that he served as a temporary judge in a Missouri circuit for a few days. He was hardly the legal scholar he wanted people to think he was.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Bookmarked, Terry. Thank you!

Cannot believe Time had their number back in 1930. Rutherford turned it into a Californian cult during that period, no question.

He even bagged the obligatory acolyte mistress and a couple of fast cars!

• Dagney
    Dagney

My parents were baptized during Rutherford's reign, so I was raised with stories of him. We live in Southern California and on any given trip to San Diego we drove by the house. I don't remember my dad telling about the "princes", but I do remember very well it was Rutherford's house. I felt very similar to this Time article even as a little girl when hearing about Beth Sarin, "yeah...whatever."

Nice find Terry.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I can remember my mom telling me that at the 1950 Yankee Stadium assembly the speaker (I can't remember who it was now) saying "What would you say if I told you that we have princes here among us today!?" that a sizeable amount of the audience rushed forward to the edge of the stands to peer down into the baseball diamond expecting to see the ancient worthies resurrected there in front of their eyes.

You think "were they really that gullible or stupid?" and the answer is yes, because it's what their leadership had been telling them for the previous 25+ years.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

saying "What would you say if I told you that we have princes here among us today!?

I heard the same story from an old time witness I knew in the '80s.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

TIME sure had this cult's number, even back in 1931!! What a fuggin' crook!

The very first time I'd heard of "Beth Sarim" and the Judge's (2) 16-cylinder Cadillac's was on the 1986 Documentary, "Witnesses of Jehovah", where they showed the mansion and a photo with RutherFRAUD standing next to the Cadillac's. My jaw was on the floor. What you have to realize as well, was that during this time, the rest of the USA and the world was going thru The Great Depression! The 30's especially, was tough on the midwest because of the great "Dust Bowl" storms of the plains. So much hunger, hardship, and poverty, and this snake-oil salesman was living like a millionaire! Living off the donations and traveling the world! Oh, and did I mention drinking like a fish DURING "Prohibition" in the USA? He'd have Canadian Whiskey smuggled in by the Canadian brothers. What a total piece of shit human being.

And so today it remains the same. The Gluttonous Bozo's still live by the creed, "Rules for thee, but not for me!" They've learned their lesson well from previous WT leaders, the very ones who's asses they kissed and licked clean to get where they are today. Disgusting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit