Apathy and of course Scandals!

by KW13 11 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

I remember as a young dub, being told by others and particularly from the platform that Apathy was the number one enemy and in many ways i think that's true today. People are seeing a change from the 70's - 80's (the last time the end 'felt' close to many) and now the witnesses are in a rut. The society seem to have backed off from making bold claims and instead seem to be trying their best to retain the members they have as opposed to trying to gain attention of others as they did in the formative years of the religion when they wore sandwich boards - throw in the growing spotlight on child abuse issues and you've got yourself a religion that's trapped in a purgatory of sorts - the majority of long time members will stay in the religion and die in the religion but as time goes on i think are clearly losing interest and the 'fiery passion' that used to be so obvious before and outsiders just arent interested as there are better, more interesting things to do.

This religion won't die in a huge fiery blaze of glory, but i'm almost 100% certain that it will fade out into nothingness other the next 100 years (30 years?) as it becomes less profitable and loses it's members to old age and lack of interest

• freddo
    freddo

Interesting observations KW13.

On the subject of apathy I believe that in the "First World" countries it is the number one killer for JW's.

Here in the UK we still have the ongoing UK Bethel move to Chelmsford distracting those in their late 20's through early 40's from falling attendances and hall closures; but underlying there are few "reaching out", few "coming in" and younger and younger teens are a significant proportion of those getting baptised.

I predict another UK bethel round of lay-offs soon - when the printing presses stop in March 2018. Mind you they might send some of the little darlings to Chelmsford for a couple of years before finally saying good-bye to them. It's like they are digging their own graves!

Now the great edifice of Warwick is completed how are things in the USA?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The watchtower is going to implode imminently, and apathy is part of it.

On the related topic of Chelmsford, there was a video update played at the meeting two weeks ago. Has this been discussed on the forum? I have been looking out and not seen any discussion.

Basicslly the video said residential buildings are coming along nicely. There was no mention of printing and no explanation what the actual function of the new branch will be. Instead there was a sister who gave up a job she "loved" to volunteer at Chelmsford who is sure she made the right decision. And there was a brand new brother (baptised months ago) who is a bricklayer and said they have so many thousands/millions of bricks to lay and they could use more help. The video was well presented but it didn't answer some crucial questions about what on Earth is the point of the whole thing. I actually don't think this omission was lost on the audience.

• KW13
    KW13

Hey freddo, im a uk dweller myself near manchester so i have no idea how the usa is doing :P

that said, you make some great points and i do genuinely think your observations regarding the bethel futures are spot on - shrinking numbers, less income = downsizing!

• KW13
    KW13
    On the related topic of Chelmsford, there was a video update played at the meeting two weeks ago. Has this been discussed on the forum? I have been looking out and not seen any discussion.

I didnt see that. have you got a link?
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No link I saw it live. I've been waiting for it to leak to forum and discussion but I've not seen it yet. Dark?

• KW13
    KW13

yeah, its unlikely to leak i guess?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't know, other ones have leaked, no? Like the "digital future" one. I think it would take a UK elder to download it and leak it to someone.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

What precisely is the point of the UK Chelmsford branch? With no printing and all video content coming from the US, what will they all be doing there?

So they maybe need a Service dept. and legal/child abuse dept. to keep the dwindling publishers in line, but I guarantee that puppy will be sold off within the next 20 years, and within 50 years there will be virtually no UK Jehovahs Witness congregations left. Maybe some in the major cities but that will be it at most.

• Finkelstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit