"Are you humble enough to admit you were wrong?"

by stuckinarut2 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fair enough. Good points.

Witnesses are so arrogant and CONVINCED they could not possibly ever be wrong...so I suppose its a moot point.

I will try it one day though with ones I know. Ones I was once close friends with!... Very mildly and very calmly, in a respectful and sincere manner...

• LV101
    LV101

Steel - you're a good man - I would have called a lawyer and sued him for slander. I'm sure the law would have only protected him as part of religion but I would have sent him a letter from a professional -- attorney, sharp shooter - lol - anyone! What a loser to say that!! I'd make sure he knew not to come on or near your property. It's amazing those jerks feel safe.

I like DOC's advice. I know those losers aren't worth wasting your time or breath dealing with but just plain wrong.

• freddo
    freddo

They are too FRIGHTENED to be humble enough to admit they could be wrong.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I like it Stuck. I've been thinking for a while about approaching the JWs I see at the carts occasionally in my town. I couldn't memorize all the good suggestions I've heard on the forum but your question I would like to try, especially in connection with the 1914 generation and Armageddon being delayed. This has been taught from door to door for years so why wouldn't I know about it? No explanation of who I am needed.

Obviously they were wrong, but to put it to them are you humble enough to admit it, yes I like that. Then perhaps it would lead into a discussion. If they start on the latest explanation, overlapping generations, well nothing left to do! Just stand back and watch them trying to explain it, hopefully at least then it may strike them as ridiculous!

• stillin
    stillin

I love the apologies that you get from the pseudo-humble. "IF I said or did anything that offended you..." This could read " This is YOUR problem. Sorry we have a mess but I stand by my actions and statements."

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@stillin Oh yeah. Also, "I can appreciate you feel that way" - such a word game. It's not a "feeling" we have, but rather cold, hard, simple facts. By relegating what we're saying to a mere feeling, the JWs have no issue mentally dismissing the points we raise. And "well, it seems you've already made your mind up about these things and the Witnesses, so there's no point getting into it further" - I'm sorry... whose mind is the one firmly made up? We're open to reason and discussion and varying opinions. We're not the ones terminating conversations with such a quaint cliche. And "we're not here to debate." Of course not. You're here to preach AT people, no matter how many times you say, "we love to discuss the Bible with people and learn more about them."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great point wake me! Witnesses are there to preach AT, not have an actual discussion.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    stucky - I wonder how that would go?

Jobo: Please go to our website for all answers to your questions. Oh, and give us money while you're at it!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's a good one. But they are more scared than humble/proud, I'd say.

I still want to try out my zinger some time:

"Are there any subjects that your leaders won't allow you to discuss?"

To which I expect the inevitable ironic reply:

"I don't want to discuss that."

• Londo111
    Londo111

Those are good questions to people who are ready to wake up.

But under Watchtower indoctrination humility is entirely redefined.

Humility = agreeing with Watchtower

Pride = disagreeing with Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit