Phenomenal Woman

by COMF 24 Replies latest jw friends

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Comf,
    Loved that poem. Have always wanted to read some Maya, maybe I will have the impetus now!!
    Thinker makes me feel just like those lovely words!!!
    Thank you for sharing it.
    TW

• mommy
    mommy

Comf
    Thank you, I loved that poem. I did a search on the web about her. What a phenomenal woman! I found one of her other poems really touching, and thought I would place here as well. I noticed she has a poem entitled Insomniac But I couldn't find it posted anywhere. I would really be interested in reading this one as well. Again thank you, keep them coming
    wendy

Alone

Lying, thinking
    Last night
    How to find my soul a home
    Where water is not thirsty
    And bread loaf is not stone
    I came up with one thing
    And I don't believe I'm wrong
    That nobody,
    But nobody
    Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
    Nobody, but nobody

There are some millionaires
    With money they can't use
    Their wives run round like banshees
    Their children sing the blues
    They've got expensive doctors
    To cure their hearts of stone.
    But nobody
    No, nobody
    Alone, all alone
    Nobody, but nobody

Now if you listen closely
    I'll tell you what I know
    Storm clouds are gathering
    The wind is gonna blow
    The race of man is suffering
    And I can hear the moan,
    'Cause nobody,
    But nobody

Alone, all alone
    Nobody, but nobody
    Can make it out here alone

• hippikon
    hippikon

I had an affair with the perfect woman once. Then the alarm went off and I woke up

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I AM one of those full figured women, and there are days I wish I could see my bones again, like I did when I was modeling...but then my children come and lay in my lap and nestle their heads against my ampleness and sigh contendedly how they love me, and all those ad campaigns for "less is more" leave my mind.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Tina,

Have you ever read her autobiographical novel,"I know why the caged bird sings"?
    I read this book about 9 years ago--it's an outstanding read! I think the book goes beyond "incest," and takes the reader on a black girls experience of growing up in the South. You're right, some "religious right wingers" would have problems with the honest language in the book. Maya Angelou also teaches at a college (I can't recall the name) and is very active in her church. I don't care for her religious views today, but admire her writing and empowerment skills. She's a neat person!

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• bijou
    bijou

There's a Canadian singer by the name of Amy Sky, who put this poem to music.

From her website:

Just how Amy managed to receive permission to use Dr. Angelou's poem is a fateful if not serendipitous
    story. Unable to reach Dr. Angelou after many unsuccessful attempts, Amy was scheduled to appear on
    the Dini Petty Show, a national CTV television interview program. She soon discovered that Maya
    Angelou was booked on the same program and the two met for the first time in the green room. Amy
    outlined her musical desires to the Nobel Peace Prize-winning poet and Dr. Angelou agreed to allow Sky
    to put the poem to music.
    If you like country music, you might enjoy it.

MP3 version: http://www.amysky.com/mp3/Phenomenal_Edit.mp3

• JAVA
    JAVA

hippikon,

I had an affair with the perfect woman once. Then the alarm went off and I woke up
    lol--Back in my JW days I knew a young man who was on the lookout for the "perfect woman." One day he found her, but she was looking for the perfect man. Life and "alarm" clocks are cruel teachers.

--JAVA

• Tina
    Tina

Mornin Java!
    I agree with your comment in it's entirety! Yes that book is a great story about the female black experience!
    I've got it somewhere in my library and comf's post reminded me how great a book it is-think I'll re-read it.Toni Morrison is great too.
    My son is doing a paper in college about her work,The Song of Solomon,I can't wait to read it :>(he won't show me a word until it's completed lol)
    Just an aside,he asked for a brief discussion on Circe and Odysseus last night? Wonder if that something he's using in his paper? Sorry just wondering aloud,regards,Tina,handin Java some coffeemate lol.

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• bijou
    bijou

Tina, great book!

Here's the poem:

A free bird leaps on the back of the wind
    and floats downstream till the current ends
    and dips his wing in the orange suns rays and dares to claim the sky.

But a bird that stalks down his narrow cage
    can seldom see through his bars of rage
    his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
    of things unknown but longed for still
    and his tune is heard on the distant hill
    for the caged bird sings of freedom.

The free bird thinks of another breeze
    and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
    and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn and he names the sky his own.

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
    his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
    his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
    of things unknown but longed for still
    and his tune is heard on the distant hill
    for the caged bird sings of freedom.

-Maya Angelou

• JAVA
    JAVA

Tina,

he asked for a brief discussion on Circe and Odysseus last night?

I'll bet JanH would be willing to help with his questions; tell your son to email Jan at [email protected] That stuff's too boring for me--sorry about that Jan.

Thanks for the Coffeemate Tina, but I like it right out of the coffee pot.

--JAVA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit