Have you seen this appalling new Caleb and Sophia video??

by stuckinarut2 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• minimus
    minimus

I can’t watch longer than five minutes and I’m totally bored

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The whole Caleb and Sophia series is disgusting propaganda for children- shame WT shame on you.

They must be making this crap for babies and toddlers I can't see older kids swallowing it.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

They don't even show what kind of video game it is. Apparently we're supposed to believe all video games are violent and evil.

• Della Street
    Della Street

so subtle about higher education ...

• javierjiminy
    javierjiminy
    They made Satan and the higher education poster the same color. That's Disney level of subliminal messaging right there.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You can clearly see how kids raised as JWs are systematically and explicitly separated from their peers and made to feel different and alienated from the outside world, and thus prevented from developing relationships that might grant them either an alternative viewpoint or a possible source of support outside the cult that might aid them in exiting. I suspect that every one of us that were raised in the cult can relate to exactly the awkward, conflicted, timidness that caleb displayed when he was offered a turn at the game. That feeling is weaponized by the cult to separate kids from the rest of the world. This video demonstrates that they know exactly what they're doing.

I agree that they definitely (and given how deliberate it seems to have been, intentionally) tried to subtly downplay her education, even were she not to cheat. Sophia's goal of becoming valedictorian and giving a speech with an encouraging message for her peers is one that would be difficult to attack face-on, so instead they use timing to create an equivalency between caleb's obviously bad (in a JW's eyes) fantasy of playing a violent video game and winning the adulation of his peers (creature worship! on no!) by first playing the caleb fantasy (something a JW will immediately recognize as bad in a dozen ways) immediately before playing sophia's thus setting hers up as a parallel and implying that it is equally unacceptable.

Not to mention the fact that a teacher worth anything would never tell a student "if you ace this you'll be at the top of your class" because it would either be untrue or irrelevant to say that. Either she's already top of her class (in which case acing it would indeed leave her at the top of her class) so it's entirely redundant to point out that acing that test would put her at the top, where she already is or she's not at the top of her class, in which case her acing the test is insufficient to place her there under any circumstance - whoever is ahead of her must also fail to ace the test, at the very least.

It was a bit funny to me, though, that they also acknowledged the idiocy of the average JW - they had Sophia (an apparently bright student who would have, therefore, understood the utility of at least guessing at the answer) leave the question blank rather than provide an incorrect answer...Apparently relying on a JW audience to be able to quickly work out that she'd gotten the wrong answer to a simple math problem is a troubling proposition.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

What a complete load of BS that one was!!

So Sophia can not be at the top of her class unless she cheats! Really WT? I guess kids can't be smart from hard work and study!!

This type of propaganda makes me sooooo happy we are out !!! Our kids are out too!!! Thank God!!!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    sheperdless: Actually, there was also a strong suggestion that Sofia should not aspire to graduate from university. That part was disgusting.

Yeah, now that I'm at home, I watched the video again ... you're right. They present higher education as some type of boastful pursuit.

On a technical level, the cartoon is really well made. However, the entire script (content) is actually harmful.

I will quote from Zoolander:

"Mugatu is so hot right now he could take a crap, wrap it in tinfoil, put a couple fish hooks on it and sell it to Queen Elizabeth as earrings."
  • StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I guess kids can't be smart from hard work and study!!

They don't have that much time. They need to priorities field service, personal study, daily text and meetings.

• TheTruthBR
    TheTruthBR

Better 8 minutes of a JW video than any minute of a Cedars video, is not it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit