Elder "D": Catholics No Longer Believe in a Trinity

by Saename 15 Replies latest social current

• dozy
    dozy

One of my earliest awakening moments was finding out that the "Trinity" brochure was so full of misquotes and outright deception that it was profoundly embarrassing. I'm no theologian , but I would imagine that the Catholics would argue that the Trinity doctrine is biblical but is also backed up by later church writings and tradition.

I do remember ( reluctantly and foolishly ) agreeing to accompany a pioneer on a call she had with a Catholic theology student and we discussed the Trinity , amongst other subjects. The guy knew his bible far better than we did , and basically tore us apart.

• TD
    TD
    My guess is that Elder D views a Catholic admission of no express biblical reference to trinity, as the same as an admission of it being unscriptural.

LOL - Yes.

And paradoxically, "Elder D." would unhesitatingly claim that Jesus is Michael without realizing the ideological cake-eating he's indulging in....

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

No- nothing has changed. It's part of the cathecism so pretty impossible to change. Unlike JW doctrine that can be flipped at the drop of a hat- it's very hard to change doctrine in Catholicism. Catholic beliefs are based on bible and "tradition" so any catholic admitting the trinity is not stated as it is understood now in the bible isn't saying it's not true.

Your elder probably heard or read something about catholics saying "trinity" is not found in the bible and due to his ignorance just assumed it was a game changer. That's what happens when you only read stuff about your own religion and never look up objective information on other religions.

• Saename
    Saename

mentalclarity, thanks for your comment. That's what I pretty much assumed.

• label licker
    label licker
    Witnesses are no different. They believe in 1) Jesus 2) Abbadon and 3) Michael. All three in one!
  • Steel
    Steel

The idea of a bi unity of Jesus and God comes out of the old testament and the generally idea what new testament writers believed about Jesus. I don't feel like writing another essay about it but it's generally pretty simple.

It's not some Devine revelation bullshit like the watchtower teaches but a matter of understanding old testaments quotes and ideas used in the new testament.

I really don't know why they think they have such a slam dunk on the subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit