Watching the Rio Olympics? What's your sporting interest?

by smiddy 28 Replies latest social physical

• jaydee
    jaydee

Oh Landy.....love your work....... Just Brilliant

• prologos
    prologos

The Olympic maschine is a lot like the watchtower, some of the athletes work their guts out, but it is the big shots the ORG, that reaps the benefits. case in point Jesse Owens, 1936.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I can't believe that Womens' Beach Volleyball has not been mentioned.

One of the greatest sports ever created.

Rub a Dub

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer

My preference is gymnastics but I enjoy most all of them except for the team sports. I love the Olympics! My favorite part is the Parade of Nations during the opening ceremony. So many people from such different backgrounds living and competing peacefully together for a few weeks. What's not to like?

I hate the coverage in the US though. BBC does a much better job.

• Landy
    Landy
    I can't believe that Womens' Beach Volleyball has not been mentioned.
    One of the greatest sports ever created.
    Rub a Dub

A friend of mine managed to get a job wiping the sand off the player's bodies after a match. The pay was $20 per hour.

it might not seem like much but it was all he could afford to pay.

• cofty
    cofty

The BBC does an excellent job of covering sport.

No advert breaks ever!

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer
    The BBC does an excellent job of covering sport.
    No advert breaks ever!

The commentary is also straightforward and focuses on the athletes instead of the "wittiness" of the commentators. And they give fair coverage to athletes from other countries, not just their own. Despite what the rest of the world thinks, there are Americans who realize not everything revolves around us. I cheer for Team U.S.A but mostly I'm on Team Whoever-Does-the-Best.

I don't understand why they'll move a sport from BBC One to Four, then Two, then back to One, etc. But for no ads, it's worth it

• cofty
    cofty
    I don't understand why they'll move a sport from BBC One to Four, then Two, then back to One, etc

The major news programmes at 6, 9 and 10 pm on BBC One never get moved as a rule. Also the BBC2 Newsnight programme at 10:30. So the Olympic coverage gets switched during the news. In the UK you can also press the "Red Button" and select a menu of Olympic events that are being streamed simultaneously.

• bsmart
    bsmart

I'm in the US.... I like the gymnastics and swimming, I have it on all the time though, mostly to avoid reruns this summer.

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer
    The major news programmes at 6, 9 and 10 pm on BBC One never get moved as a rule. Also the BBC2 Newsnight programme at 10:30. So the Olympic coverage gets switched during the news. In the UK you can also press the "Red Button" and select a menu of Olympic events that are being streamed simultaneously.

If it's to avoid preempting news that makes sense. But I was trying to follow men's gymnastics and it seemed like every 15 minutes they were shifting it around not for news, but to cover another sport. I'll pay more attention next time.

A "red button" too? I was already jealous of you guys, you didn't have to rub it in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit