References to YHWH in ancient documents

by Doug Mason 110 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Is there any debate on the following Hebrew name being written as ‘Jeremiah’?

How come it has a gimel at the start?

(I posted this message yesterday)

• johnamos
    johnamos

Its not meant to I just made a mistake in typing it out…

Anyway, what I would like to know is how is it that the following Hebrew names are written out and pronounced in English?

Jeremiah – ירמיהו

Jehoshua – יהושע

Jehoshaphat – יהושפט

Obadiah – עובדיה

• Earnest
    Earnest

Nehemiah Gordon has just announced on his blog:

...the incredible milestone of finding God's holy name with full vowels [Yehovah] in over 1,000 Hebrew Bible manuscripts. Nehemia speaks with some of his team scouring Bible manuscripts in libraries around the world, as well as some of the people who have been key in spreading this vital information to Israel and the Nations.

There is a discussion on youtube here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFMN5XazK-Q

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Erm, when were these manuscripts written ? have they been assessed by Scholars who have no axe to grind ? So many questions, but I am smelling Bullshit.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Nehemiah’s Gordon is full of shit! Finding gods holy name in over 1000 manuscripts with vowels what bullshit. They had to add vowel points to the Hebrew writtings century’s after the original writings were written. So I guess he could be right if you want to say theres manuscripts written after the 10 century AD with gods name in them with vowels.

• johnamos
    johnamos

I have to admit that I was excited to check the youtube video based on hearing that the vowels points are in these found manuscripts, but these guys put an end to that excitement real quick.

If they don’t show the manuscripts and give more information about them then what they are saying means nothing to me.

Having said that, with or without manuscripts I am of the belief that Yehovah/Jehovah is the correct spelling of God’s name that is if the above Hebrew names are correct.

If there are many Hebrew names that start with JEHO/YEHO or end in IAH/YAH and the part that makes up that part of the name is from יהוה (JHVH/YHWH) and if it is accepted to use the vowels E, O, & A for these names then it only stands to reason that these vowels should be used in writing out God’s name.

Example:

Jehoshua

Obadiah

JeHoVaH

• Earnest
    Earnest

Crazyguy : So I guess he could be right if you want to say theres manuscripts written after the 10 century AD with gods name in them with vowels.

Manuscripts and papyri from the time of the Dead Sea Scrolls did not have vowel-pointing. However, the oldest extant manuscript of the entire Hebrew scriptures dating back to 1008 CE (or possibly 1009) according to its colophon, is the Leningrad codex and that has the tetragrammaton with vowels, as I mentioned in my earlier post here.

All Hebrew mss beyond this date also have the tetragrammaton with vowels as far as I know. I am sure Nehemia Gordon will publish the provenance of the manuscripts he refers to. The most recent one http://genizah.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/fragment/MS_Heb_b_9/9b comes from the Cairo Genizah and is now housed at the Bodleian Library at Oxford University.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Look we’re talking vowel points put into the manuscripts in the 10 century, that’s crazy late. We’re also talking about them messing with a dead language I mean even the Dead Sea scrolls we’re not all written in Hebrew a lot of them were in Greek and Aramaic. Hebrew was a dead language way back, it was like the priests of Rome speaking Latin when everyone else was speaking every other language.

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

YHVH represents the four elements...earth,water,air and fire.

Two of those are female/negative/passive elements...the two "heh's"......those represent earth and water.

Two are the male/active/positive elements..."yod" represents fire and "vav" represents air.

In an earlier post I said John represents the summer solstice and Jesus the winter solstice.....however they also represent the four elements in the bible....but you wont see it until you understand the patterns.

John represents the female/passive elements of earth and water....and Jesus represents the male/positive elements of air and fire.

John 3:31 Jesus says this about John

"the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth."

John is the man of EARTH with his camel hair garments and eating locusts.....and he also baptizes people in WATER.....the two elements of EARTH and WATER.

Jesus represents the male/active elements of AIR and FIRE.

John himself tells you this at Matthew 3:11

"I baptize you with WATER for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and FIRE.

We see the element of fire....however...where is the element of AIR?

The word "spirit" means "AIR"........so there we see the four elements right in front of us in the scriptures....earth,air,fire and water......YHVH......it's not a name...it's the four elements......

• Earnest
    Earnest

Crazyguy : Look we’re talking vowel points put into the manuscripts in the 10 century, that’s crazy late.

What is crazy is that we still have the complete Hebrew scriptures after more than a thousand years. The Masoretes, who devised the vowel notation system, worked on it between the 6th and the 10th centuries so what we have in the Leningrad Codex is the finished product, not something that had just been decided.

Crazyguy : We’re also talking about them messing with a dead language

Hebrew has never been a dead language. Prior to the vowel notation system pronunciation was part of the living language, just as it is today. And many of the Masoretes were Karaites who had no qualms in pronouncing the divine name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit