References to YHWH in ancient documents

by Doug Mason 110 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What I found interesting is the letters YHWH were inserted into the places where the original word Lord was in the Greek text. I always thought the word lord was put in to the place were Adoni was used. If I’m correct its where the word El is used that became Adoni and the word Baal was used becomes YHWH.

Anyway if we could find the original text somewhere I’m willing to bet that the gods Baal Hadad and El, names would be where we now see the word Jehovah used in the Bible but that also the gods Marduk, AmunRA, Enki, Enlil, Anu, Osiris these names would also be at times where we see the name Jehovah.

• oppostate
    oppostate

The form Yahwoh is as much of an assumption as other proposed pronunciations.

The form Yahweh is how Latin would pronounce IOVE or the Roman name for Jupiter (Deus Pater, God Father). And btw the Latin form for Joshua/Jehoshua is IOSUE. (Notice the Hebrew ending AH changing to E in both).

The form Jehovah in some of our Bibles is an Anglicization of YHWH as is Judah/Jehudah for YHWDH. (Take off the D in there and what are you left with? YHWH Jehuah).

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

YHWH is not a name......but a formula.....the four elements of matter....earth,air,fire and water.

Jesus is the fifth element.......that which brings life to "dead" matter....he is the "quintessence" which means "fifth element"

He is the pyramidion......the head of the four corners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidion

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

When you look at a dollar bill and see the pyramidion with all seeing eye hovering above the truncated square....this is the fifth element hovering above the four classical elements of matter.....this is the Christ.....the quintessence.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thank you for your comments. The argument from the book I largely quoted from is that Yahwism arose when Moses brought it from the south (Midian) and that it disappeared. The main proponent and contributor to monotheism being second Isaiah (chapters 40ff), written at the time of the Neo-Babylonian captivity and exile.

The Judaism that emerged from that period did not reflect the prior majority religious experience.

Thanks for pointing me to that book, Slim. At $100 (Australian), it will have to sit on the back burner until my Pension stretches that far. I managed to download a review, so I will see what that says.

Regarding the letter "J" - it was the last letter to make it into the English alphabet. In German, it is pronounced softly, as a "Y". I know this personally as my Viennese mother's surname was Jellinek, pronounced as "Y".

If the WTS wants to reflect the practices it touts, then it should use the ancient form of the Hebrew. That will show it was not meant to be pronoinced.

As for the name of "Jesus", this is a mangled form of "Yeshua", which should be anglicised as "Joshua". This name (Joshua) is the earliest name that contains a reference to YHWH.

I will look into the work by Emanuel Tov (one of my "heroes").

The god named EL came to the Hebrews from their northern neighbours. He was the main fatherly god alongside his wife Asherah. They produced 70 gods, including Ba'al, and the pantheon is known as the "Elohim". We encounter El and his brood in Genesis Chapter 1.

The god named YHWH came from the south. He was not part of the Elohim. Moses (an Egyptian name), who was influenced by his father-in-law, brought YHWH with him. Previously, the people had worshiped EL (as El-shadday).

Doug

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Emanuel Tov is indeed an excellent scholar to read. In particular I liked reading his introduction to the text/textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible. He came out supporting Iao as original in the LXX in an essay in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bible-Book-Transmission-Greek-Text/dp/0712347275/

I think Frank Shaw's thesis (less expansive than his later book) is available online somewhere, but I can't find it right now!

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Earnest,

Thank you so very much for referring me to the book by Emanuel Tov.

The copy I downloaded from your link commences the discussion on page 224 (PDF page 246).

I will study it carefully and adjust my thinking as required. Every day I learns something new, and I appreciate your help.

Doug

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

Did Jesus send out 70....or 72?

Was the septuagint written by 70....or 72?

Will Muslims get 70 virgins or 72?

Why did Confucius have 72 disciples?

Notice the relation between all religions?....it is the zodiac.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Wow, Slim, there is just so much to discover but so little time do it all.

Thank you for pointing out that book, which I have added to my wish list.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

hangedman,

Blame the Kabbalah.

Blame Gematria.

Blame the irrationality of Religion in all its forms.

Why oh why do otherwise rational people behave so irrationally, speculatively?

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit