I'm still on my JWN holidays but had to pop back to share this experience.

by nicolaou 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm a postman with the Royal Mail and was assigned to train a new starter yesterday. My line manager introduces me to 'Dave', within seconds my JW radar was on maximum! In his mid to late 30's, politely spoken and with that haircut - I just knew it.

The post he'd applied for was Saturdays only, he said he did a lot of volunteer work. Okay mate. I put it to one side and we get on with the job at hand. I actually like him, he reminds me of myself nearly 20 years ago. He was clearly nervous and awkward around these worldly chaps with their bawdy banter and I felt a twinge of empathy for him.

Finally, we're done on the manic sorting floor and into the calm privacy of a postal van. It's just me and Dave for the next few hours.

Me: "So what kind of volunteer work do you do Dave?"

Dave: "I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses . . . "

Me: "I thought so, I used to be one too."

After a few seconds silence I assured him it was all cool and not to worry, and he opened up. Dave's been working on decontamination at the Chelmsford site, has served in Eastern Europe (met his wife there) and spent six years at London Bethel. He's an elder just waiting for his cards to be transferred to the new congregation and be made up again.

He never once asked about my 'status' or in fact anything about me at all. I found that I wasn't offended by that, I understood. Driving back to the office l made it clear to him that though I haven't been disfellowshipped I have left 'The Truth' but that I was more than happy to work shifts with him again.

Now here's the odd thing, I felt protective of him knowing how much of a fish out of water he's going to be on that sorting floor. I'll be watching out for him and, once the other guys suss him out, they'll accommodate his reticence and maybe tone down their language . . a bit.

He was so obviously powerless outside of JWdom and he shook my hand firmly when we parted, he seemed genuinely happy to know that at least one person 'got it' even if I didn't go to meetings anymore.

It was a very odd day but this rabid apostate and the uber-spiritual, ex Bethelite Elder might just be at the start of a beautiful friendship . .

See you around guys!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside
    He probably is thinking Jehovah arranged the situation, to help you return to the organization,lol.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I reckon he's going to pull you out of Satan's world back into the Kingdom Hall. Yah
  • zophar
    zophar

Really appreciate your ability to empathize. Good of you to recognize how naive a JW can be in a "worldly" setting.

It may be eye opening for him to find that you can find a real friend who is not a JW.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Hey Nic I missed you. I was just thinking about you the other day, my shed's fallen to bits and I fancy getting a summerhouse. Really interesting experience. Yes they need our empathy I agree. It's not a great way for anyone to grow up. You sound like you were really cool.
  • millie210
    millie210

Who better to look out for him than you? Hes very lucky. I bet he knows it (although he would have to make up another word since JWs arent fond of that word "luck".

Nice to see you again nicolaou

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Oh nicolaou, you've done it again!
  • jhine
    jhine

You old softy ,

Jan

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Love the way you handled the situation and your empathy/kindness.
  • tornapart
    tornapart
    You're a nice guy Nic :) It'll be interesting to see how it goes between you...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit