My family

by lriddle80 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    But my plan is to text my mom regularly, just talking about my life, not about how she should leave that crazy cult, but just as a daughter texting her mom. I am fully aware she won't text back and she hasn't. Do you all think it's a good idea?

Just a couple of things come to mind:

I'm not saying anythings wrong with your idea but I'm curious as to what your motive is for texting if you are certain of not getting a response? What are you hoping to accomplish? You seem quite sure about her blocking you. Even if it works it may make you look a little pathetic like a dog who keeps coming around after being repeatedly kicked and that somehow you have an overly strong need for Mommy's approval. Maybe she'll appreciate you more if you aren't so available for awhile. You could leave certain instagram or facebook posts open to the public so that you can give her a peek at your life's highlights should she happen to spy on you . You could even make them a little cryptic..."Tomorrow is going to be a life changing...wish me luck !!"

Another thought:

For some JW's all they care about is whether or not you are officially DF'd . If you can prevent that from happening, your mother might be one of those who is willing to skirt around the shunning business based on that technicality.

I've read on this forum about those who have obtained restraining orders that block the elders from communicating with them in any manner and have sent a letter to the elders that says that there will be legal action taken against them personally if they make any sort of public announcement about them. They sited defamation of character, harassment and violation of privacy as the basis of the charges that would be brought upon them.

Be sure and keep track of dates and times of phone calls, when letters came and any voice mails that they may have left.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

So, I am a believer in Jesus alone for salvation. So, I just tried to stress to her that if she is trusting in Christ alone for salvation, not an organization...then by all means be a Jehovah's witness. Her whole life is tied up in it. I am just worried she isn't really saved because the organization puts themselves in an elevated status. I want to believe she is saved because she believes in Jesus as the ransom. I just know the whole Jesus alone is in the Bible. And I personally believe in the trinity, which took me over 10 years to finally admit. Once I couldn't deny it any longer. But I don't really know if that is necessary for salvation. I hope it's like horseshoes in her case - close enough!

(I know a lot of you don't believe in anything and that's your path, but just speaking about what I believe in this situation.)

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I see what you mean about how it looks. My husband said something similar.

Honestly, it's a "I am not dead!!!!" Kind of feeling.

I am railing against their cruelty in my mind. I am angry.

Ok, I guess I might stop texting her and let her feel it for a while. I have to forgive all of them for this shunning. I will just work on that for a while! It is what it is.

Jesus said if I try to hold onto my life I will lose it.

Thanks for letting me see that side of things!!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I am just worried she isn't really saved because the organization puts themselves in an elevated status.

I think I'd stop with the Jesus saves business. No one likes that....especially not a JW. If there in fact was a Jesus and he died for all mankind, it's a done deal...end of story, so you can relax...it's in his hands. As a JW she already believes that he existed and that he died for mankind salvation even if the two of understand the details differently....the big chunks and the outcome are the same in the end. I'd say you should leave her alone about this or you run the risk of alienating her even further. No one likes it when someone who thinks they have it made and knows everything about Jesus, tries to save them. It's as if you are saying that you've got it made and they're damned unless they see things your way.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Thanks!! I think you are right about that! I will.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Honestly, it's a "I am not dead!!!!" Kind of feeling.
    I am railing against their cruelty in my mind. I am angry.

Of course you are....no one likes to be dismissed or marginalized especially by their family. However it seems to me the more narcissistic one is, the harder it is for them to cope with not being able to have their say, to weigh in with their opinion and to make their presence known. The narcissistic side of our personalities thinks that everything we do and say is much more important than it really is, that we deserve to be heard and that everyone should be keenly interested in us and what we have to say.

The more reasonable side of us knows this isn't so but we still wish it was. The more we demand from people in this regard, the less they'll cooperate.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Man, I do struggle with narcissism, so I get what you are saying! You nailed it! I hear you!! Thanks for telling me those hard truths!

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’m not outspoken cuz of my mom, but when she’s gone...

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The Trinity is a complex incomprehensible doctrine regarding the ontology or nature of the one God. God/Jesus nor the apostles made this a necessary truth to believe in order to be saved.

Before I came to believe the Trinity we had a Jewish Christian (Ramond Sampson) from university come to our Bible Students fellowship to educate us on the subject. He read the creeds and related scriptures and closed by saying we couldn't be Christian's if we didn't believe the Trinity.

After the study as we drove him home my brother asked him when he came to believe the Trinity. He said that he did not hear about the Trinity until a year after he was saved. We all had a good laugh.

Let's be careful not to add anything to the salvation formula...grace, by faith, in Christ's redeeming blood.

• tiki
    tiki

Interesting story here...it strikes me odd that after a 10 year disappearance and the open heretic (from the jw perspective) activities/stance they are gunning for you now...They must consider you a threat to the purity of the congregation. At any rate I'd say ignore them all and do what you want when you want. They really have no hold on you and as far as jw family goes, what they do as far as relationship with you is their call....their choice, and their responsibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit