Hobbies

by peacefulpete 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

I hadn't really thought about it before, I guess I have quite a few hobbies.

Music - I've played classical guitar since I was a kid. My wife and I regularly get together with friends and play rock, blues etc., I guess I sing too. Just bought a violin, damn it's tough!

Outdoors - We are avid hikers. I love foraging, especially for mushrooms. The first thing you see when you come in our house is a pile of surfboards. I recently started fat tire biking in the sand dunes, that's super fun! .We like to go snowshoeing in the mountains. I could go on, we really like the outdoors.

Travel - My wife is an amazing trip planner! We just came back from three and a half weeks in former Viking territory.

Plants - I like to grow herbs, hot peppers and that kind of thing. For ex-jw therapy I had a nice indoor cannabis operation for a while. Personally, I don't use the stuff, but it was fun giving people large quantities as birthday gifts etc.

Cooking - I really enjoy cooking and do the bulk of our day to day cooking. I love to cook for friends. I cook a wide variety of styles.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    I love foraging, especially for mushrooms.

I had some soil trucked in to fit in low areas in lot next to the house couple years ago. Crazy, I picked couple pounds of Morels from the middle of the lawn last year. This year only a few. I guess that's normal. I imagine the soil was from a woods.

I really enjoy cooking

My wife works hard so the least I can do is cook some of the time. Most everything winds up being a 1 frying pan stir fry/concoction. She loves baking.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

I stir fry a lot!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Gotta man cave out in the woods. Dogs love it. Kids come with their friends sometimes.

sort of a hobbie property.

• titch
    titch

Hobbies, eh? Well, I indulge in radio. By that I mean, that I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, having been licensed since 1986. Hard to believe that it's been 36 years, this month, but it has! I also have a few radio scanners, that receive a bunch of frequencies, and I do monitor those once in a while. I have 3 good working 35mm cameras that use film. I used to enjoy going to local parades here in SoCal, and photographing celebrities that were in the parade. But, since COVID-19, a lot of parades have been cancelled. So, I have kind of lost interest in photography. I hope to revive that interest in the future.So, there you go. Best Regards....Titch.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm retired and have time on my hands for two hobbies.

I like assembling 1/700 scale model ships. I put together a lot of models as a kid; the newer kits are much more detailed and have more parts. They are more complicated, more fun, and more money. I have ten battleships, five aircraft carriers (one under construction), and a few odds and ends, including the Titanic. These models are typically a little over a foot long.

I also write. I have five novels for sale on Amazon, plus one being serialized on Amazon Vella. One of the novels (and a sequel that I'm revising) plus the serial have ties to my experience as a JW. I haven't made a lot of money, but it's enjoyable. Most of the books are based on history, as are the models, so there's a connection between the two hobbies.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I used to play Table tennis at lunch time in a few places where

I once worked and when I retired I joined a Seniors Citizens group that had a TT group which I became a part of and I also at the same time joined a Keenagers group that had Table Tennis on the agenda.

And participated in that for a number of years.

I have now been a member of a Men`s Gym at the local Health Clinic 3 doors away from my home for the past couple of years.

Not only my body benefits from these exercises but so do my eyes

If you know what I mean ,wink ,wink,nudge ,nudge ,say no more ?

let the reader use discernment .

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Gosh, I have so many hobbies and interests.

1. Physical fitness / bodybuilding /weight training

2. Target Shooting

3. Hiking / bicycling

4. Projects around the house, tools

5. Putting together LEGO Technix sets (soooo much fun!)

6. Listening to all kinds of music

7. Reading. My wife has the entire Stephen King Library. Huge bookshelf.

8. Travel. I've been to 3 continents so far.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

titch..I and my wife are hammies, or long time ago were. The local club got over run with seriously scary preppers. I guess the leader is in prison now. I have a friend who has a huge setup always trying to get me to get involved again. It just never clicked with me, it was the novelty of getting the license. He builds radios like many do in the hobby, great guy.

• titch
    titch

Peaceful P: Well, I do hope that over the years that you and your wife have been "hammies" that you have renewed your licenses every 10 years. It's very easy to renew the license when it comes time to do so, which you probably already know. Yes, the fact of getting the license can be a novelty. It was for me when I first got licensed in 1986. Communication by radio has been interesting for me. Oh, and yes, What is a "prepper"? Just curious. Best Regards, Everyone.....Titch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit