I wrote to Mr. Angus Stewart regarding the "inactive" status claims made by the Watchtower at the ARC

by EdenOne 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This is the email I have just sent to Mr. Stewart Angus, who has been conducting the questioning of the JW leaders during the Australian Royal Commission dealing with child abuse cases among the Jehovah's Witnesses, concerning the claims made that a jehovah Witness who wishes to walk away from the organization can simply become inactive and avoid being shunned:

------------------------------

Dear Mr. Angus Stewart,

I have followed with interest the videos of the ARC regarding the Jehovah's Witnesses in Australia. You are extremely knowledgeable in your interventions and I praise you for your level of preparation.

I have seen that lately it seems to be a strategy of the Jehovah's Witnesses leadership to argue that a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses can chose to become inactive, rather then formally disassociate from the cult; this way they give the impression that it's a matter of choice that former members get shunned. More revolting even - it is suggested that it is the disassocoated member who has chosen to shun the Jehovah's Witnesses (!!), thus reversing the burden of blame upon the victim of shunning. Those who leave may indeed want nothing to do with the religion, but in most cases, certainly they don't want to sever ties with their friends and relatives who chose to remain as members. Those are two different things, but dishonestly the leadership of the Jehovah's Witnesses attempts to conflate them.

Allow me to suggest you this line of questioning:

A publisher of the congregation isn't considered "inactive" until 6 consecutive months have passed without reporting any ministry service hours. If someone wishes to no longer be an active member of the congregation, with immediate effect, must he wait 6 months until he is consider such? What is his (her) status during those first six months?

According to the Watchtower literature - especially that whose audience are the congregation elders - if someone doesn't formally disassociate from the Jehovah's Witnesses, but makes a public claim (can simply be during a conversation with friends that gets reported to the congregation elders) to the effect that he ino longer considers himself (herself) a Jehovah's Witness, that person is considered as having disassociated himself (herself) from the congregation, thus resulting in shunning. Therefore, it is NOT TRUE that a person can simply become inactive in order to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses and avoid shunning.

Accordingly, if a Jehovah's Witness who has become inactive, but is found to have engaged in some "sinful" behavior (such as sexual misconduct or apostasy), that person is still under the disciplinary jurisdiction of the body of elders of the local congregation and may be subject to a judicial committee and be disfellowshipped and subject to shunning. This proves that an 'inactive' is still considered a member and has no freedom of behavior or speech. Many years may pass (and eventually it must require a change of town) until the elders may decide to not take disciplinary action against an inactive member who is known to have adopted a behavior that would normally result in disfellowshipping of an active Witness.

Let me tell you something that happened in my family, in Portugal, Europe: My son, who was baptized as a Jehovah's Witness at age 11, became inactive at age 15, and stopped going to the religious meetings and report ministry service hours. More than two years later, he was summoned for the National Defense Day (NDD), which is of mandatory attendance for all citizens. It is customary that Jehovah's Witnesses' apply for Conscientious Objector status to avoid attending that one-day event, given their objections to participate in warfare, military service and their claims of neutrality in political affairs. However, in Portugal, failing to attend that event precludes someone for applying for a job as a civil servant later in life. So, my son decided he shouldn't give up that option, and he attended the NDD. In a letter written previously to the congregation body of elders, it was stated that he felt that he was simply complying with the secular law and that by complying with the law of the country he absolutely meant in no way to disassociate from the Jehovah's Witnesses. A couple of weeks following the NDD, two elders from the congregation came to our door, to inform us that our son had disassociated himself from the congregation by attending the NDD. The announcement was made to the congregation later that week, and he has been shunned ever since, including by members of his own family. Consequently, both me and my wife wrote letters of disassociation from the congregation of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

It is also a fact that the culture among the Jehovah's Witnesses is to informally shun those who become inactive, in what can be described as "soft shunning". The inactives are considered a bad example, bad influence, and association with them, even in the family context, is strongly discouraged. They become progressively left out of all social interaction with congregation members. That happened with me and my wife as well while we were inactive.

In conclusion, Mr. Angus Stewart, it is a flat out falsehood the claim that a Jehovah's Witness can simply become "inactive" in order to separate himself (herself) from the Organization and avoid being shunned. The "inactive" status doesn't grant the person the liberty to act and speak freely without becoming subject to disciplinary jurisdiction of the body of elders of the congregation which, depending on the "sin", may either disfellowship (even in absentia) or decide that the inactive member has disassociated himself. The result, in either case, is shunning. A victim of child sex abuse who becomes inactive doesn't have the freedom to:

a) Say "I'm no longer a Jehovah's Witness" because, if reported to the congregation elders, it will be decided that such person has disassociated himself (herself), and an announcement will be made to the congregation to that effect and the person will thus be shunned.
    b) Attend another religious group's service. (Disassociation)
    c) Accept a blood transfusion (Disassociation)
    d) Attend the compulsory military service or join a political party or run for a political position (Disassociation)
    e) Have sex outside marriage, be it pre-marital, adulterous, homosexual... (Disfellowshipping)
    f) Publicly criticize, in speech or writing, the Watchtower Organization, its leadership and its policies or doctrine. (Apostasy - Disfellowshipping or disassociation)
    g) Smoke, gambling or buy a lottery ticket (Disfellowshipping)

Please take the above into consideration the next time a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses attempts to disingenuously claim before the ARC that someone can simply chose to become inactive to avoid being shunned.

Best regards,

XXXXX XXX XXX XXXXXX

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

THANK you Eden one for sharing that with Mr Stewart. He seems to be very good at reading all the information sent to him .

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Very well stated.

I too was considering writing a letter to the ARC - though my tack was going to be slightly different. I was thinking of writing something along the lines of someone who leaves and joins a different church could be disfellowshipped as well.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    too was considering writing a letter to the ARC - though my tack was going to be slightly different. I was thinking of writing something along the lines of someone who leaves and joins a different church could be disfellowshipped as well.

It's not disfellowhipping. It's disassociation by one's actions. It might seem a trivial difference but it's there so the WTS does not face any claims of preventing freedom of worship. It's the same reason as why military service is disassociation by one's actions - to prevent the WTS from facing issues with the government for stopping people performing military service.

Typical WT legalese - claim anyone is free to join the military or another church without disciplinary action from the congregation whilst putting a clause in so that the net result in terms of shunning is the same and turn the responsibility for this back onto the person.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    so if the ones that leave are the ones shunning the members of the congregation then why when someone has DAd or be come inactive when they return they are still shuned until the elders meet with them to talk about thier sins or are made to wait over a year as if DFD like those that have DAd?
  • pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Wonderful.

What annoyed me the most watching the ARC last night was that they dont answer a single question openly and honestly with a simple yes or no. They stutter, stumble, dodge, weave and claim ignorance. Even the judge had to spell things out very clearly to get a simple answer.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Credit where credit's due.

Every ambulance-chaser in America could learn a thing or two about weasel-wording from the WT.

:smirk:

• alanv
    alanv

Yes they were asked the simplest of questions, but the JWs did everything they could to avoid giving a straight answer. It made no difference, it was obvious to everyone what they were doing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Well done Eden One

The JWs are trained to be dismissive when confronted with questioning about its social operations, even more so when the person who's doing the questioning is not a JWS.

This statement by the JWS reps. are double talked up half truths, any JWS knows that one cant just simply leave particularly if they been baptized in this faith.

Many have lost their families, their jobs and long time friends just for simply saying no thank you.

You don't have to be outspokenly opposed toward the JW organization for that to happen.

• millie210
    millie210

Eden One, I loved your letter. It was clear and factual without being emotional. Perfect.

On a personal note, I did not realize the things your son (as well as you and your wife) had to go through at the hands of this organization.

Good for you and your wife for leaving and standing by your son. You are walking in truth in a very real way.

Unlike the "Org" who makes a mockery of the word "truth".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit