What was it like being a JW in the 1960's and 1970's

by UnshackleTheChains 68 Replies latest jw experiences

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Was the society as strict as it is today?

Did you feel proud to be a JW back then?

Were the brothers more loving in those days?

Just wanted to hear some experiences to compare with the way things are today

My perception is one of a child (I was a child in the 70s), so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Also, even at a tender age I did notice a difference in culture between congregations I was in a downtown congregation since I was born and then moved to a rural area when I was about 9. The culture was different, the way JWs got along with each other was different too. The second congregation was more family oriented as there were about 6 or 7 large families.

We were treated like crap. In every meeting there was some kind of information about how bad we are and how Jehovah will kill us if we do this or that, From the platform here was always somebody addressing something very specific about some event in our school, and there was always some idiot who had a problem with any of his children attending, so it was always "wordly" and JWs cannot attend.

The elders in the congregation didn't like each other and refused to have their children socialize with other children. Personally I didn't like the attitude of some of them, especially the older ones. The feeling seemed mutual.

The gossiping was insane! People were so much into each other's business to a point that I as a child even noticed.

Then my father seemed to be the only one stating that the end was not coming in 1975. He became unpopular for doing so in the congregation. One of the elders quit his job in 1975, and became a pioneer in October (in spite of having to support his 13 children). He also trained himself to eat leaves for when the great tribulation arrives. Some people sold their houses.

Another elder was some kind of stalker and was constantly following people he became obsessed with.

Pioneering was a lot more hours a month. They used to call it "temporary pioneering" when a JW decided to dedicate a month to pioneering. The requirement was 100 hours of house to house preaching. Later there was a "major" announcement, you know, one of those events when they mislead people to believe that they are going to say something that will change life as we know it, to change the requirement to 60 hours.

The visits of the CO were a major event. They were received as semi-gods. People were very competitive over hosting the CO for lunch, but only on the Sunday, his last day. People were recommended and named elders and for other "privileges" based on how they came across. There was this one moron who knew nothing about anything, that became an elder. It was a horrendous experience. Seeing them talking out of his butt, incoherently, without making sense, and always over the allotted time, was just painful. But, he was an elder, and he was "appointed by Jehovah", so people just took it.

The assemblies were very complicated in terms of all the work involved. The decorations in the stadiums were very flowery, the food they prepared was cooked and it was an entire menu. The cheesy dramas were as complicated as they were inappropriate for children (they really don't give a fuck about children). They were also longer in duration.

To those younger, the way they started talking about "the dangers of the Internet" when it became mainstream, they also attacked TV. They were always criticizing and attacking anything that was popular on TV, regardless of the content.

People who were creative or had a mind on their own, or ask questions were shamed for doing or being so. Some were physically punished (beaten) by their parents for expressing interest in higher education or in a hobby.

Preaching in a rural area was fun because I got to ride my bike. Living communities are spread out, so when I didn't get to use my bike (actually, not mine, I'd borrow one; my parents thought that bikes were evil), I liked when we had to go to farther territories because that meant less time doing house to house work.

There was a gestapo-like attitude around finding out if anyone in the congregation was doing something that is considered an offense. People were not close to each other and there was no trust. When something about someone was found out, every single person knew about it and more, as gossip always has the tendency of growing in the exaggeration direction. When a person was disfellowshipped, they used to say for what exactly over the platform.

And that's how they expected me to like being a JW.

• carla
    carla

Tell a jw who joined later about these stories and they will not believe it! Even if they ask the older ones in the cong about these sorts of stories the older ones deny or have forgotten. My jw does not believe ANY negative stories about being a jw. He believes these stories are the anomalies and "merely overzealous individual nut job parents like you could have in any religion".

Or, ask an older jw about such things and they go off on a tangent about how they personally knew Franz or Knorr and fondly remember being a child when they came to visit............. weird, they think namedropping men like this is a good thing? anyway that was a rare experience I had with an elder once. One of my very rare interactions years ago. Ugh, I shudder to even think of that day. The only humorous thing about that day was when I spread out all my apostate books & stuff on the kh library table and it wouldn't all fit!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Food at the Assembly was better but everyone ate standing up. Fresh squeezed orange juice was made to order.

Some brothers, like me, collected older literature but that was frowned upon.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Assemblies were very different with lots of breaks between sessions. Plus everyone was encouraged to use the cafeteria facilities as a source of association, which could sometimes be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCl-13dYNE&t=105s

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember the standing up to eat cafeteria style lunch at the assemblies. They always said back then that the Army came to observe how they fed so many people in that amount of time or something.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I was but a small kid in the seventies, yet I don't remember shunning of *family* members being so harshly on the agenda.. 'Spiritual shunning' is a term that springs to mind. No discussion of spiritual matters with disfellowshiped family. DA wasn't even an issue.

Can anyone corroborate this please?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Diogenesister: I was but a small kid in the seventies, yet I don't remember shunning of *family* members being so harshly on the agenda.. 'Spiritual shunning' is a term that springs to mind. No discussion of spiritual matters with disfellowshiped family. DA wasn't even an issue.
    Can anyone corroborate this please?

I have some vague memories stirring back there about disfellowshipping...

This is the way that I remember disfellowshipping "rules" being described back in the early 60s:

The DF person was, like you said, 'spiritually' disfellowshipped. You could not discuss religion with them - and this included all DF persons, not just family. You could conduct business with them, talk to them if you encountered them (not religion!), and, in fact, it was encouraged to be pleasant and nice to a DF person. However, you were not to seek out socialization with them unduly.

But...no Bible Studies with a DF person unless they were "approved" and only done by mature men. A DF person could not comment or be involved with KH activities even though their attendance was a requirement to show repentance.

At least...that is how I remember it from when I was a kid. The rules changed and got tighter in later years.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I remember the standing up to eat cafeteria style lunch at the assemblies. They always said back then that the Army came to observe how they fed so many people in that amount of time or something......ShirleyW

That JW Urban legend made it all the way up here..

Our Soldiers Were Dying Of Starvation..

The WatchTower..

Had a New Invention Called Food..

Image result for us army general 2015

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

My parents started studying to become JW in the late 1950's and I was raised in it.

I believe at the time the belief was that the tribulation had started in 1914 and been cut short and Armageddon could start at anytime. In the late 1960's they became aware of the 1975 teaching. The 'Truth' book was released and I believe there was a change to a shorter study period before baptism. This made for a sense of urgency in our family for preaching and worship as the time was so short.

Did you feel proud to be a JW back then?

I didn't feel proud to be a JW i felt lucky, fortunate that my parents had responded to the message as I probably wouldn't have. They felt concern for people and made efforts to do more in the preaching and be a more theocratic family, making a more simpler life so they could do more in the 'truth'

Was the society as strict as it is today?

society or no society my parents would have been strict. I think faith makes one act in a certain way.

• minimus
    minimus

In the 60s and 70s Jehovah's Witnesses were a close knit group of people. We were strict but also somewhat liberal in certain areas. That's why some congregations were more " fun " and others were more conservative. Before the elder arrangement we used to have parties dances and get together's LOL....we were very proud to be witnesses because we consider ourselves real ministers even if others did not believe that to be the case

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit