Is it just for social reasons you remain?

by UnshackleTheChains 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

As someone who has tried to fade on various occasions, I always end up attending meetings! Why is this the case you may ask?

If I was single, I would have kissed this high control American religion goodbye many years ago. The problem is my wife is quite popular with many jw friends. We therefore are often invited out or she has friends up weekly. To be fair, I do enjoy the social aspect.

I occasionally attend to keep up appearences. I view myself as a Christian, but no longer a JW due to all the erroneous teachings and crazy rules of the GB

To me, it has now become nothing more than a social club. That's it!

Is anyone else experiencing a similar situation, ie attending meetings primarily for social reasons?

• the comet
    the comet

The majority of active witnesses I know are just "social witnesses". The type that are actually into the doctrine are a dying breed.

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Yes, I am strictly a social witness, since waking up mentally. I have always been mostly a social witness, since I was born into it. My wife has always been more serious about the rules, and she pretends to understand the ever changing doctrines. She is very deep in slumber, but I try to tickle her awake, as possible.

I like hanging out with the fun witnesses and my wife and I are popular with them. We dont know many others. But I try to avoid the boring ones and the extremely deluded ones.

I try to minimize my support for the local cult activities and do my very best to avoid any support for the world wide work.

• A Believer
    A Believer
    the comet2 hours ago

The majority of active witnesses I know are just "social witnesses". The type that are actually into the doctrine are a dying breed.

Couldn't be more wrong. 90% of our religion believes in God.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/26/a-closer-look-at-jehovahs-witnesses-living-in-the-u-s/

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Couldn't be more wrong. 90% of our religion believes in God.

I think it would be more accurate to say that 90% claim to believe in God.

• A Believer
    A Believer
    Do you have some evidence for why you think that? Their not out in field service for nothin.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I can go back about 35-40 years ago when an elder and his wife we associated with said to my wife who then did tend to miss a few meetings " why dont you just come along for the social aspect of the meetings "

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The scores of JW's I know and am related to have a form of godly devotion but are proving false to it's power. The nod their heads in agreement while they are together but when the rubber hits the road, they do as they please and cover it up or find a way to excuse it.

Example: A Believer who likely sits in the meeting with a Halo over his/her head yet secretly visits apostate sites and engages in discussions, is therefore in reality, "worse than an unbeliever"

• the comet
    the comet

Believer-not being into the doctrine does not mean they don't believe in god. Why do you think that?

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

A believer - I take it you are a young person, probably less than 30 years old. Please, go ahead and soak in the many comments from the people here. I guarantee you will learn things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit