Gems From the WT

by Slidin Fast 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lanalonger
    lanalonger

So if murderous robbers were in your house, and you had hidden your young children, you would tell the truth about their location if asked?

Granted, one needs to be quite discerning to know when to apply the idea of ‘misdirection that would meet with God’s approval,’ but surely anyone with discernment can see that such a thing would exist.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Actually, they're wrong at the "saying something false" part. Lying is saying something you know to be false.

For instance, someone might ask "Where's Mrs BoC?" and knowing that Mrs. BoC said she was going to the food store, I would say "She's at the food store." However, Mrs. BoC might have decided not to go the food store, and to go to the library instead.

So although I was stating something false (Mrs BoC went to the food store, when she's actually at the library) I would not be lying.

I'd be wrong, but not lying.

• Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige

Why would you want Satan's organization to know the truth? Ha!

How does this even fit with scripture? Oh yeah, that's right, Rahab. Another great example of the unerring and inspired word of God.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Could "gems" could be yet another word they've redefined...

x

...to describe something brown, floating, and corn-riddled?

• pixel
    pixel

Lying

WHAT IS IT? Saying something false to someone who is entitled to know the truth."

From Dictionary

noun 1. the telling of lies, or false statements; untruthfulness:
  • ListlessWitness
    ListlessWitness
    lanalonger2 hours ago

So if murderous robbers were in your house, and you had hidden your young children, you would tell the truth about their location if asked?

No Lana dear, we would of course in that situation LIE you dear, silly, cloth eared wee bint you. But we would not have to redefine our language to make ourselves holier than thou , we would simply LIE to the bad men. Have you grasped the point yet sweet pea?

• steve2
    steve2

Spot the loaded question, used to bolster JW org's definition of "lying". Duh!

• bennyk
    bennyk

"[We] might be tempted to mention only selected details, editing them to color the facts. Hence, what we say might technically be true yet give a totally different impression. While this may not be flagrant lying, such as is common in the world today, is it really 'speaking truth each one with his neighbor,' or brother? (Ephesians 4:15,25; 1 Timothy 2:1,2) When a Christian phrases things in such a way that he inwardly knows is leading brothers to a wrong conclusion, to believe something that is really not true, not accurate, how do you think God feels?" (Live With Jehovah's Day In Mind, p.115)

And yet, this is the Society's modus operandi when writing about their fore-knowledge of the significance of 1914...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit