Gems From the WT

by Slidin Fast 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Just noticed this gem of a definition in the current (No 1) WT

"Lying

A man takes off his wedding ring

WHAT IS IT? Saying something false to someone who is entitled to know the truth."

No it isn'tI thought it is simply saying something false. The audience doesn't matter. Perhaps though thats what went through Toole and Jacksoe n's mind at the ARC when they told lies. The world wasn't entitled to know the truth.

Another warped definition by the manglers of meaning.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    The GB mentality is that Bible morality is only for their followers, the small people. The leaders have a divinely appointed job to do so the rules don't apply to them.
  • Terry
    Terry

What a cult does best is rearrange reality by redefining the tools of thought and speech.
    Reality is how things really are.
    Denying any person their right to reality is sinister and manipulative.
    Creating a context of the "right to know"by a religion calling itself "The Truth" is quite stunning, really.

This is a bald-faced admission of sorts:

"We reserve the right to determine what you will know according to our view of you."

Was there ever a more insidious policy?

This is the core foundation of Elitists: We are special and everybody else is not.

Cults create elitists capable of summary judgments of personal worthiness.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

With the JW definition of lying then the next question is "who determines who is entitled to know the truth?". Of course, as per Terry's post, this is the prerogative of the individual. It is of course worse than that since it will ALWAYS be the organisation in the driving seat. So, when it suits the organisation to lie then they will and when they are investigating the actions of their adherents (e.g. in a JC) then they will state that the elders are entitled to know the truth therefore denying the individual the right to the same choices the organisation can make.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great find!

Yes, as they demonstrated at the Australian Royal Commision, outright lies are perfectly ok if you are high up in the organisation. BUT, if you are a regular JW, watch out if you are lying about anything, because you will be punished by a judicial committee!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Good catch Slidin and great comments all!

So much could be said about WHO has the right to determine anything? GOD? For example, GOD determined that the ONLY thing that could redeem mankind was BLOOD! That's why the bible (GOD'S word) is a record of a bloodthirsty GOD who just can't seem to ever get enough BLOOD poured out. Good people, bad people, even so-called perfect people needed to have their BLOOD poured out to please GOD, according to GOD!

Once again GOD (Guardians Of Doctrine) has spoken! They have determined that a lie is not a lie unless GOD (Guardians Of Doctrine) determines that it's a lie.

As our British brothers would say, "it's all a bloody lie!"

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• floriferous
    floriferous

The rank & file JW's seem to accept the need for 'theocratic warfare' ie not telling the truth to those not entitled to know it.

Trouble is the dubbies do not realise 'Mother' is actually very economical with the truth to them also.

Poor saps.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    This may make my next JC an interesting occasion. What right do they have to know my truth? BTW, I'm glad I wasn't alone thinking this is outrageous, I thought that this was going to sink without trace.
  • steve2
    steve2

Well, my honeys, this little gem works both ways:

Others, including elders, are not entitled to know what I do in my private life. If they ask, and I say, "I'm doing nothing at all," by their definition, I ain't lying!

Besides, I always thought it was creepy that rank and file JW adults felt the "need" to confess their private, consensual behaviours to men and that JWs in general go on about the "immoral" lives of non-Witnesses.

What astonishing arrogance!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of all the religions out there who've tried to influence language to advance an agenda, I think the WTS takes the top spot...

...they go so far as to try and fully redefine words to bolster their ideology.

Hell, I think it would take days to list all the examples.

x

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit