Another heart-worming story

by StephaneLaliberte 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I think it’s quite believable

Most urban legends are believable, it doesn't make them true. based on Magnum's comment, I could have added: the following question: "is a dog able to tell apart the days of the week?". A lot of things need to happen for this story to be true and we know for a fact that the location was wrong. So, very little chance of this actually being true.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

What probably really happened:

A blind man was walking with his new service dog. Suddenly, the dog started to be pulling towards a certain direction and the blind man, out of curiosity, followed his dog. A few street corners further, they arrived at a Kingdom Hall. While there were no meetings in progress, two brothers were about to leave and walked towards their car and paused. Who was that blind man arriving here with his service dog? Getting closer, they could not believe it, it was Buddy! The dog of their recently deceased friend! The dog recognized them as well and it was unbelievable! Like finding an old friend that was lost! They had a pleasant conversation with the new owner, trying to understand what had just happened. Before leaving, the man took some literature in braille and went on his way.

Then, through the telephone game, the story became what was posted at the top of this thread.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

I have a friend that has a seeing eye dog and I don't think they would just give the dog to someone else. He's been blind for 40 + years and each time he gets a dog he has to go to the training facility and work with the dog for at least 2 months just to see if the dog is compatible with him. I can't see them just giving it to a neighbor, this just doesn't happen. Just like all the other stories, they are all just made up.

• BlackPuddingEater
    BlackPuddingEater

"is a dog able to tell apart the days of the week?"

I use to get on a train each morning and often shared a carriage with a blind passenger who had a guide dog. Every morning before we pulled into the station we both alighted onto, the dog would nudge his friend and they would get to the door just as the train was pulling in and get ahead of the crowd. I always though that the dog recognised the lamp posts and overhead wires at a certain point but one day when it was foggy the dog still nudged his friend and they got to the door just before it pulled in.

It has been suggested and studies have been done on the link between a dogs sense of smell and it's perception of time. So to a dog every day and every hour is distinguishable by smell. Research it, it is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftr9yY-YuYU

• under the radar
    under the radar

This sounds like just another apocryphal "experience" they like to trot out at assemblies from time to time. In fact, it smells a lot like BS. Somebody needs a heart worming...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit