Greenlees, Chapman and Chitty

by Libby 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Libby
    Libby

So after being rudely awakened by a cat fight outside (it's 3am here in the UK) and then proceeding to go outside to rescue my cats from the neighbourhood tom......

I'm now laying wide awake trying to make sense of JW "Truth". (It's all my mind does these days, the lights gone on and won't turn off).

Anyway I found myself reading about the GB and came across these fellows , Greenlees, Chapman and Chitty. Two of which were members of the GB who resigned (Greenlees and Chitty).

And this is where I get confused, so the current GB are members of the 144,000, correct?? Does that then mean that these two guys (along with Frederick Franz) were also part of the 144,000?

Sorry my JW education is that of a bible study.

• waton
    waton

there were all three at one time at Canadian headquarters. but that Chitty was a lowly worker in the shop, not the BG member. wt teaches that only 144000 are sealed to go to heaven since Pentecost 033, nowadays, that is establish if you take the bread and wine.

so all these probably claimed that heavenly calling. but if it actually exists--- your guess.

• Libby
    Libby

Thanks @Waton, so to be a GB in the 70's you didn't have to proclaim to be one of the 144,000?

I'd like to read Raymond Franz book but haven't yet. Do you know if he ever claimed to be of the 144,000?

• Chook
    Chook

You need to not read Frederick Franz it's Raymond Franz who was als a GB member that is worth reading, his book in " crisis of conscience ".

• Libby
    Libby

Sorry @Chook that's what I meant. I've edited this my post to correct this. Thanku

• waton
    waton

sorry libby if I was not clear, all these Characters that I met, had to be of the sealed anointed partaker, but only Greenlees and another Chitty actually were ib the leadership Governing body. Capman was the head guyonly in Canada for a while.

• Libby
    Libby

@Waton thanks for taking the time to make it clearer for me.

So you met these characters? What was your role and experience in the organisation? I hope you don't think I'm rude in asking and I understand if you'd rather not say.

I've managed to find the first 3 chapters of the Crisis of Conscience book, but can't seem to find where to buy the whole thing.

I'm just fascinated that these people had some kind of direct communication, a call to heavenly life and yet they were forced to resign. How can earthly man take away was God has given.

Did they die believing that they were still part of the 144,000?

• Libby
    Libby

Ps it's just dawned on me, I thought the 144,000 had to be unmarried virgins ? Franz was married ?

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo

Was Chapman involved in some kind sexual deviance as the other two were?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

From an old Alan Fuerbacker thread, 22 years ago, the words are not Alan's but another Poster :

“The Branch overseer until 1959 was Percy Chapman who was sent over from London Bethel in 1936 after the schism in Canada over elected elders. Along with him came his long-time room-mate and companion, Leo Greenlees. Canadian Witnesses were shocked and puzzled when Percy Chapman was forcibly removed from his position by N.H. Knorr and demoted to janitor. He was also forced to marry although his stance on marriage for Bethel members was even more damning than Rutherford's.

It was not until I heard rumours of Greenlees' and Chitty's forced resignations from the Governing Body for homosexuality that I knew definitely about Percy Chapman. They had been room-mates for thirty years at London and Toronto Bethels. "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit