Banned words in the organization

by Addison0998 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@LoveUniHateExams Gosh - that is so true! They expect all these other folks from various other denominations to study Witness literature and have their own research groups outside of their regular religious protocol... but Witnesses are banned from doing the same.

An idea just occurred to me. The next time I see Witnesses at a cart or they call at my home, I'm going to get all paranoid and hush-hush. I'll tell them my church would punish me if they found me reading outside literature. And that I can't look at JW.org because it gives me total anxiety. "My pastor said that all outside research and books and Websites are written by people trying to lie about my church. I really want to investigate further... I just don't know why they'd be so against looking outside my church's approved literature?"

Hopefully, the Witnesses will talk about how maybe the pastor has something to hide... that maybe the church is doing bad things and the congregants are being held in darkness... that all things "come to light" before Jehovah and that we owe it to ourselves to prove that what we're being taught is accurate.

Once they comment on how deceitful this method of information control is, I'll just slowly parrot it back (but using Watchtower terms). "Sooo... if the men taking the lead in my religion are actively directing me away from any outside information that might be critical of my beliefs or denomination... you're saying that they're most likely being deceptive? That all of us congregants are having the wool pulled over our eyes? That this method of concealing information is an impingement on our thinking and decision-making abilities? That... that this whole thing my family and I have been raised with is not really... the truth?"

I don't know if the JW will wisen up at that point or not. If they do and I can see them ready to blow the apostate whistle, I'll just cheerily say, "Just messing. My pastor lets me examine and read all other literature outside of the church. But that would seriously raise some red flags if an organization really did that to its members. Hey, check out JWfacts.com. Have a great day."

Hmmm... Just thinking out loud here.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

@wake me, that is probably the BEST thing I have heard for ages! Brilliant technique!

I am in awe right now!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho - amen to thet.

Tell it sister! XD

I don't know if the JW will wisen up at that point or not - most of 'em won't but it's worth a try. XD

• My Name is of No Consequence
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Research".

Often spoken of in particularly disdainful tones.

You could almost poke your eyes out with the "so-called" "quotes", in fact.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, get a JW rolling if you want- call them a "Doomsday Unitarian Religion that uses the Protestant Bible."

Unitarian- A Christian who rejects the Trinity
    Doomsday- the end of the world as we know it
    Protestant Bible- 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament for a total of 66 books, the same ones JW's use.

• Cold Steel
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I remember a newbie elder telling a brother "it's not a 'podium.' It's a speaker's stand." Idiot.

Gospels - audible gasp from my elder brother when I said I was reading them. He said it was a term Christendom uses. I said " it means good news. who doesn't like good news?" Seriously.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    'obfuscate', though they used the word once, as an Affix, close to 50 years ago, and never again

Much thanks to Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY, as it wasn't in the Publications Index 1930-1985

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101972690?q=obfuscate&p=doc

example of 'torturing the truth'

Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Shun Those Who Used to Belong to Their Religion?

Their equating those who no longer preach to others, with those 'Who Used to Belong' to Their Religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/shunning/

Used to: meaning and form

We use used to when we refer to things in the past which are no longer true. It can refer to repeated actions or to a state or situation:

He used to play football for the local team, but he’s too old now.

That white house over there used to belong to my family. (It belonged to my family in the past, but not any more.)

Used to - English Grammar Today - Cambridge Dictionary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit