Another Burnt Out Elder

by Spoletta 23 Replies latest social family

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Young elder(mid-thirties) in my congregation stepped down last night. Nicest guy, with two lovely kids, a great supportive wife.

It got to be too much, as the other elders are practically useless, let him do all the hard work, while they did all the "important" stuff. Literally ran him ragged.

He's still in good standing, gave the final prayer. His poor wife wore sunglasses to hide her tears.

He doesn't realize it, but it's the greatest gift he could ever give to his family, to have the time to give them the attention they deserve. May many more follow in his footsteps.

• Chook
    Chook

While the KH is still their church his healing can never take place. JWs say they don't do titles until you list

DO (fired)

CO ( God on earth)

elder ( gods spokesman)

ms ( slave)

publisher ( deceived idiot)

• blondie
    blondie

My husband was a burnt out elder; it was his idea to step down but they said he could not do that.....he just said that they did not want him coming to the meeting and not getting up on the stage to do his assignments as an elder.....

The BOE reconsidered............................

When we stopped attending we had 8 ex-elders who had stepped down at the congregation or a neighboring one. They refused to be reappointed. Through our sources, only 2 have given in. The rest are so happy no longer being part of that.

• freddo
    freddo

What Blondie said.

Here I am 4000 miles away in a different country and in the local congregation (75 publishers) there are at least five ex elders and a couple of ex min servs in different states of "spiritual - aka Watchtower - decay". Including me!

Good for that young elder. I hope he wakes up if he hasn't already.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I was also a burnt out elder serving in the Whitaker/West Mifflin, PA cong. from 1986 to 1991. The other power hungry elders gradually took my "soul" and destroyed it. Best thing I ever did was to step down. Then I gradually learned the TTAT even though it took almost another 10 years.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

This could be an ongoing trend. In 2015, at the age of 48, I stepped down in order to start my fade. I was the youngest. In 2016, the long serving Secretary in his 60's stepped down as well and this year another elder died a natural death in his 80's. It's a matter of time before the rest will become too old/burnt out as well... it's inevitable! Now look at the greater picture...

What signal is given to the rank and file?

Being an elder does not seem to fit Jesus' promise from Matthew 11:30 " . . .For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.”

Hebrews 13:7 is also very telling: "Remember those who are taking the lead among you, who have spoken the word of God to you, and as you contemplate how their conduct turns out, imitate their faith."

Well, not much to imitate is there? Unless, with few exceptions of course, you are willing to ruin your family life and (mental) health in some way.

And what is told to elders when the load isn't light anymore? Right... delegate some work. But if the younger ones leave, what is there to delegate? If the only way to cope with the pressure is turning to zombie modus or growing a stomach ulcer, the choice is clear and therefore...

CIRCLE COMPLETED! Isn't it just a matter of time before the org will be weakened/eaten from the inside?

I pity the circuit overseers, who's asses can now be kicked by the GB if their new responsibility to appoint elders and MS turns out to be not productive enough. Besides a dying generation of loyalist elders, I think only the bullies and egomaniacs in the BOE's can survive...but is this the way the flock wants to subject themselves to the loving care of the GB?

• zeb
    zeb

......the other power hungry .....

I have just imagined such ones addressing the intimate aspects of relationships or dealing with an accused child tamperer. Well we have seen the results here so many times. This thread gave another aspect, that of the power hungry.

and my wife at one time wanted me to be an elder? ...

• stillin
    stillin

My wife's father was an elder. No way she wanted to be married to one! So that was that. I did a stint as an MS and realized that she was right.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

It would amaze me how a working family man would have the time and energy for being an elder. Then have the C.O. come in twice a year chew you out for not doing enough.

• burnedout
    burnedout

After 10 years as a MS followed by 10 years as an Elder, I had a spectacular public burnout. My alcoholism and anxiety put me in the hospital and nearly killed me, other times I wanted to take my own life just to make it all stop.

Watchtower's yoke is strangling and the load is crushingly heavy...

I repeatedly asked for less responsibilities, but was not taken seriously until I flipped out right before I was going to start the meeting. THEN they realized I was DONE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit