Chrome or Edge Browser? Which is Better?

by KateWild 56 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Simon
    Simon

Cache, not cash (unless you've been on a shopping spree)

It's a local copy of files that the computer keeps to save downloading things again. Sometimes a cache can become corrupt so rather than speeding things up, it slows things down.

For instance, on this site the browser can cache the avatar image and scripts so it only loads the topic content as you browse the site (and that's set to become faster still when it will only load the actual post text, not the headers and other navigation content).

• KateWild
    KateWild

Actually I am fed up with my computer, I am going to buy a new one, I have had this laptop for over 5years it cost £300. It's done it's job.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking of going to PC world. Any good?

• KateWild
    KateWild
    For instance, on this site the browser can cache the avatar image and scripts so it only loads the topic content as you browse the site (and that's set to become faster still when it will only load the actual post text, not the headers and other navigation content). - Simon

Thanks for this Simon, but I don't get it, so I am going on the shopping spree now I was looking last night and saw a couple of HP lap tops I like from PC world. One with 1TB and one with 2TB, and both had fast processors. My daughter says I don't need the £500 one for what I use it for, so I am thinking of getting a £329 one.

Any advice, I have taken a pic of the specs?

• Simon
    Simon

No to HP, No to PC world.

1Tb? 2TB? Faster processor? Typical PC world "sales" that I hear whenever I'm in a big-box PC store ... "yes, you need the latest CPU to make the internet faster".

Unless you are doing a ton of work video editing, you don't need a large capacity hard drive. They are typically slow and meant for backing things up.

Much better is an SSD (Solid State Drive) which could be 128 / 256 / 512 Mb. It will make your PC much, much faster.

Same with CPU - there are caches on CPUs too for instructions and memory. The "fastest" in raw processing speed isn't always the fastest in real app usage. They are meant for a different type of computing but are an easier sell because "bigger number".

Invest in a Mac for a beautiful, longer lasting machine that will provide better value (they last longer than the cheap Windows laptops). Alternatively, if you want to go cheap, get a Chromebook - it can easily be reset to factory new at any point and keeps itself updated.

• Landy
    Landy

Invest in a Mac for a beautiful, longer lasting machine that will provide better value (they last longer than the cheap Windows laptops).

And if you want a triumph of form over function you can get a mac that uses exactly the same processor, motherboard, drive and RAM that's in a windows laptop for half the price.

But they are pretty.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Much better is an SSD (Solid State Drive) which could be 128 / 256 / 512 Mb. It will make your PC much, much faster. - Simon

Cool this sounds good. I am going to buy an Hewlett Packard laptop that has an SSD of 512Mb. If I have to spend £500. That's my budget. Mac Book is out of range, you could send me a gift if you like lol

Chromebook - it can easily be reset to factory new at any point and keeps itself updated. - Simon

I don't know what this is, but I will ask in PCWorld. See if it meets my needs. Thanks Simon. Next time I post will be from my new LapTop Whoop Whoop

• Simon
    Simon
    And if you want a triumph of form over function you can get a mac that uses exactly the same processor, motherboard, drive and RAM that's in a windows laptop for half the price.
    But they are pretty.

The Mac motherboards are custom and the memory has been typically better than the cheap crap found on low cost Windows machines for a long time. You can get good PCs with similar quality hardware but they cost a similar price.

And ultimately, you still have Windows ... and it will go wrong.

I still think my MacBook Pro, although expensive, is the best value machine I've bought. It still runs like new and as far as I can tell should continue to do so for years. It's beautiful and I never have to spend time diagnosing driver issues or hacking around the registry or trying to figure out why the sound doesn't work after the latest Windows update or it won't wake up from sleep like happens with every PC desktop or laptop I've ever owned. Also, no viruses or adware. I've had adware installed from Microsoft provided downloads. They just don't seem to 'care' the same way.

• Simon
    Simon
    I don't know what this is, but I will ask in PCWorld. See if it meets my needs.

Don't do this. They will tell you what suits their needs, not yours.

Educate yourself about what you need and then buy it direct. Don't go into the store expecting honest answers.

Chromebooks: https://store.google.com/category/chromebooks

I recommend these to any friend or relative who wants a computer now - no more being IT support for everyone.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

My 2011 MacBook Pro was recently overhauled with a Solid State Drive to replace the internal CD ROM drive and run alongside my 7200 RPM conventional hard drive, and continues do deliver great service. Nothing I had before comes even closer to its quality. Then, OS X is a breeze compared with windows... Only Safari browser is less powerful than Firefox, but ... just use Firefox as browser.

Eden

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Microsoft has not made anything worth while since Windows 95.

All due to this epic dancing at the intro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkuJXGldrM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit