Are speeding tickets issused in your area???

by James Mixon 40 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik

About ten years ago, I was driving on I-70 and was about to exit, when a got behind a truck which had brick pallets on the back. On the exit, one of the pallet snapped, and the bricks started to fall all-over, hitting my car and damaging two wheels on passenger side.

The worst slow drive? Route 1 from Miami to Key West. I was driving with my mom and somewhere in Key Largo a car cut infront of me and drove waayyyy below the speed limit. After 30 min we pulled into some of the islands and enjoyed a picnic. Any way, I was able to caught up with the driver :)). Another bad drive is a route 6 in Cape Code to Provincetown. If you get behind the camper, it is impossible to pass in miles on single-lane road.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Well I guess I should eat crow. California is rank number 4 in the nation in issuing speeding tickets.

Ohio is rank number one, Pennsylvania and New York.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Our Highway limit is 120 km/h but we wipe out 13 000 people per annum in road accidents here in South Africa ....which kinda rivals certain war-zone death tolls ! [Population = 54 million]

We have Speed-Averaging on Highways and Freeways via camera and still have the Traffic Police doing laser based camera speed checking from "hide-outs' along the road.

As to lane-culture: Its non-existent on our roads and the emergency shoulders often become speeding lanes of death-defying traffic.

From this past weekend in my area :

http://ewn.co.za/2016/04/17/WC-headon-collision-claims-2-lives

http://ewn.co.za/2016/04/18/Investigation-underway-into-Free-State-bus-crash

• Prefect
    Prefect

Have to be extra careful in the UK this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36055774

• DJS
    DJS

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html - All states allow drivers to use the left lane (when there is more than one in the same direction) to pass. Most states restrict use of the left lane by slow-moving traffic that is not passing. Some states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit). A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no"), or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions.

At least 38 states have laws in place to fine for lingering in the left lane. In five states, fines can reach $1000 and 22 states classify the violation as a misdemeanor. This number is increasing each year.

Several studies in the US and UK have shown that slow drivers are among the most dangerous on roads and are the second leading cause of road rage (since tailgating is no. 1 and is often directly tied to slow drivers who won't move over slow drivers may be the single most direct cause of road rage) and a leading contributor to traffic accidents and deaths.

Driving consistent with interstate speeds is not one of the top causes of traffic wrecks and deaths. Speeding and driving slower than the normal traffic flow are both contributing factors.

Slower traffic keep right. Or stay on the traffic controlled (red lights) roads and off the Interstates.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

So, Maryland allows drivers to drive in the left lane at the speed limit and does not require them to yield to faster traffic.

I wonder if this is because of the amount of left exits. There are a significant amount of them which requires all vehicles exiting to move to the left lane (fast lane) to exit.

Everybody hates them because they slow traffic down, but the roads are so dense and criss-crossed that sometimes they are the only solution.

I generally speed, like most drivers in Maryland. When I am in the fast lane going faster than the other 3 lanes of traffic (and probably directly behind another vehicle), do not come up behind me flashing your highbeams and tailgating me to make me move. First off, I am speeding as fast as traffic allows and there's nowhere for me to go, and secondly, your riding my ass with your highbeams on in an attempt to annoy me is only going to piss me off.

The last time this happened, I tolerated the deliberate and continuous use of highbeams at night for a few miles and then I slammed on my brakes. The lady behind me had to run off the road to avoid hitting me. Had she rearended me, it would've been her fault per traffic laws. She got back on the road and caught up to me, but she coudn't get around me because there was so much traffic there was literally no way. She engaged in angry, erratic lane changes behind me, but could never get ahead for the next 30 miles. I finally had to exit and she blew around me, flipping me the bird, but she had gotten absolutely nowhere in all of that time.

My vehicles are old, so go ahead and rear-end me. Her car was new, however, so hitting me would've been bad for her. The same principle applies when you have to merge onto an interstate that is crawling. The only way to do it is to cut someone off. You always pull out in front of a nice, expensive vehicle. They are going to do anything to avoid a collision.

These are the kinds of problems that happen when roads are so crowded that normal road rules can't be followed. Yes, I'm going to have to cut you off in order to merge on on the highway. The only worse thing is when someone comes to a dead stop when they're having trouble merging into traffic. That really screws traffic up and causes rear-end collisions.

• paladin1
    paladin1
    I misunderstood your OP. Every time I visit Calgary I put up with high speed drivers that drive close to my rear bumper at 12 km over the speed limit and I am forced to speed up. Now if a police officer has a radar gun pointed at me I get a ticket for speeding and the driver behind me gets away with speeding. I want to drive the speed limit but I have to go with the flow. This gets on my nerves. I am from a small city and I find that the big city life is fast paced. I have not been ticketed yet but if I lived in a very large city I can see it being a problem.
  • Simon
    Simon

People who hog the passing lane and don't actually pass the cars next to them are annoying but it's very hard to legislate against people obeying traffic laws and for people to break them. Unlucky.

To those who think they are so incredibly important that they have to get somewhere more quickly than everyone else, here's some facts:

You don't get there much quicker, even a long drive only make a difference of a few minutes at most.

Driving smarter always wins IMO (can't count the number of times I've rolled up next to someone at lights who's blasted past or done some unsafe manoeuvre to do so).

If you really were important, you'd relax and enjoy the drive - people wait for you to arrive. You're really a nobody if you are rushing to meet a deadline and unorganized if you couldn't leave early enough to get there in time.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Are speeding tickets issused in your area???

I guess you don't live in Ohio.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Exactly, paladin. Smart speeders stay behind other fast cars.

If there's room to maneuver on the highway and a very fast car comes up behind me, my motto is, "Go ahead with your bad self! Volunteer for that ticket!" and I let them pass.

Then I follow behind.

In my story above, there was literally no room to maneuver.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit