One Thing I Don't Get About Brexit

by JW_Rogue 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• kaik
    kaik

The democratic election does not necessary equals a good choice. People voted for dictatorship in I. French Republic, Weimar Germany, or in 1946 in Czechoslovakia. The outcome was a disaster, war, or unsolved political crisis that paralyzed society for years or even decades. While I am critical of EU and I consider it to be economic, political, and social failure; I do not believe it destruction is smart. EU needs to be reformed and rebuild upon better concepts, where the elites would understand regional, national, and social differences among larger European world. UK will not benefit from leaving EU, it already pays with isolation, declining currency, proposal of revoking English as official language from EU. Students most likely would not get their titles and degrees recognized in EU, and there is a huge possibility of many banks, investments banks, and conglomerates moving out of London.

There are so many examples in the European history where larger political entity dissolved and did not bring anything good to subsequent states or brought hardship: Austria-Hungary, USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Hansa trade system, Holy Roman Empire, Western Roman Empire....

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, people mistakenly equate democracy with making great choices. This just proves that for some things, a straight vote doesn't work.

Representative democracy is a better approach for this reason - elect people to make the decisions and consider things if you can't be bothered to research things yourself. The wisdom of crowds doesn't always work out, sometimes people are misinformed, lazy or just plain stupid.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Perhaps. Part of the reason for the vote gong the way it did is people feeling the political elite in Westminster were too detached from reality.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

Many people's "research" consists of skimming through a highly-opinionated tabloid newspaper whose owner has a history of jumping into bed with right-wing governments.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    the political elite in Westminster were too detached from reality. a caller told of his family in Devon who were cock-sure it would be a Stay vote but decided to vote Go as a protest against the govt. ! .....

Here is the problem imo. The question was a simple binary question, in or out. The answer was conflated with loads of other issues, the above was not the least. The voters then wake up to a self made disaster and the overwhelming sentiment is " what have we done?"

• bohm
    bohm
    Bohm that is exactly what the commission does, it creates binding regulations and it determines all legislative proposals. But you are wrong it is not 'democratically' elected by the 'people'. Effectively the people's elected representatives do not get any determination on policy.

The commission is not elected democratically, true, but it is appointed every 4 years by democratically elected heads of state and confirmed by the EP. You have to compare this state of affairs to other non-elected (but appointed) positions in every single western democracy.

That "peoples elected representatives do not get any determination on policy" is FUD. The commission cannot make final decisions on EU law or policy. I would strongly advice you not to rely on the leave-campaigns talking points.

• bohm
    bohm

Qcmbr: I agree. The UK should sign article 50 ASAP and get the hell out before they do more damage. That Cameron/Boris Johnson is dragging his feet is a sign the leave campaign have no clue what should follow.

• bohm
    bohm
    Gargamel: Many people's "research" consists of skimming through a highly-opinionated tabloid newspaper whose owner has a history of jumping into bed with right-wing governments.

Indeed. I did this google search for front pages of the daily mail:

https://www.google.com/search?q=daily+mail+front+pages+EU&safe=off&biw=1365&bih=681&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiphsyJwcrNAhWCFiwKHRvtDxUQ_AUIBygC

Pure FUD. Very few people have any idea about what the EU does as evidences on this thread. Boris Johnson still appears to be selling the idea that the UK can get a much better (in his view) agreement with the EU than Norway, meanwhile I have not seen a single person outside the leave-campaign who even suggests such a thing.

• done4good
    done4good

bohm - Boris Johnson still appears to be selling the idea that the UK can get a much better (in his view) agreement with the EU than Norway, meanwhile I have not seen a single person outside the leave-campaign who even suggests such a thing.

Image result for donald trump

Similar in more ways than one, so it seems...

d4g

• bohm
    bohm

This is not fair, but I can't resist.

The UK sends 350m to Bruxels every week. They get 160m back and the remaining 190m will likely remain the cost of being part of the single market as by all accounts will be the case. Thus, quitting the EU leaves 350m a week to the NHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtQa13u6mYM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit