Retirement savings

by TxNVSue2023 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I never bought in to the 1975 nonsense, it was all supposed to be over by October, but in August 1975 I started my private pension Plan.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i never worried about a pension plan--and needed everything i earned to live on.

My old dad had a good job--with a company pension plan. Although he was a loyal JW--he never wasted time pioneering, but he did contribute a LOT of ££ to the cult--including £5000 to help fund a hall. His main asset was his house--plus cash savings.

He left the lot to me in his will.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I know of many who where into that 1975 nonsense who sold everything or didn't plan for the future and now their kids are taking care of them because they have not a pot to piss in. I'm glad my parents were smart and didn't fall for this crap.

• jhine
    jhine

Going off piste for moment, Sue what do you think of the 1975 debacle? Does that show that the Org. are false prophets ?

Most people on here are out of the Watchtower, some because of the false prophecies.

Back on piste what on earth has anyone's finances got to do with the GB ?

Jan from Tam

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JHINE:

Who knows if ‘Sue’ is even reading these posts? They should, even if it’s only for entertainment purposes. It’s highly probable this person doesn’t really know what 1975 was about.

I never found out the whole story of 1975 until I was out of the religion and read stories about it. (Certainly, older JWs who lived through this didn’t talk about it.).. So, it remained secret and younger JWs never heard about it. Some made similar foolish mistakes of quitting jobs to go ‘where the need was great’ before actual retirement age, etc. and ending up broke.

If people knew about the 1975 failure they might not have done these things.

YES, similar things happened again on a smaller scale maybe in the nineties or so.. all because of the secrecy in the religion.

As to your question, what does anybody’s finances have to do with the GB: the real answer is absolutely nothing.. But, because JWs is a cult/high control religion, they want subservient and stupid people there. This usually means uneducated and that frequently means broke. The people there were always nosey and in everybody’s business. Unfortunately, too many gullible people blabbed about their personal business - very unwise! If you were a single woman like I was, these idiots imagined they could come up to you and ask/say anything - which I doubt they would have done to a married person.. I’m just Glad that they never influenced me to do any of these foolish and risky things.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

The 1975 thing is a big deal! It is a great look at how Watchtower operates. Then denies everything. Wash, Rinse, repeat. Follow the pattern.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

As far as I know, they still do not recommend large savings plans, they still promote part time work for pioneering and I known quite a few people that still have nothing prepared even though they are soon or already have entered retirement age.

If anything, if you have a large pension plan, they would rather you take out money of your 401k to give to the construction of a hall (and I know idiots that have), which they will then resell 10-15 years down the road.

The problem in a cult is always that of mobility, whether it be physical or financial. If you give people the freedom to be mobile, it will be easier for them to act upon that mobility, whether it is through doubts or other issues. If you have no money and have been taught to ‘rely on Jehoober’, like people on welfare, they will always have to rely on Jehoober, there is no other viable option.

If you are a pioneer and you get older, even if you have doubts, the elder kid is cutting your lawn, someone gives you a beat up old car and someone fixes it for you, if you act upon your doubts, you instantly lose access to that and replacing it can be difficult, so you lie to yourself and now even your doubts and outright criminal activity happens in the halls, you have to rely on Jehoober to fix it, because you can’t see how to fix it yourself.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I've mentioned this before to people I know. If JWs really really believed in what they teach, they would sell their homes and plan to leave the last few years on savings in preparation for the big A.

Instead they instinctively know it's all BS, or at very best they are not really convinced it's true.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

...you can see it by their lifestyles.

You know the 2000sgare foot house, 3-car garage, a camper as big as a bungalow and boat too.

A couple of Europe cars and trips to Mexico at least twice per winter.

You tell me that they really believe in the Borg.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

TxNVSue2023, don't you see the irony in the fact that here you have a concrete, real-world example of a Watchtower teaching that has had a serious negative effect on the financial lives of faithful JWs, possibly even yourself, and your conviction that JW.org is the "true religion"?

Jehovah God must have some sort of mental disease to be the source of suffering (through intentionally misleading unwise teachings) for the people he claims as his own. Would you inflict this kind of abuse on your own children or ANY child?

NO! The intentionally misleading unwise teachings of The Watchtower come from men; ignorant, foolish men who live a life of cloistered ease while they bleed their impoverished "flock" for more and more money, much of which is used the pay the settlements of lawsuits brought by members who have suffered extreme abuse at the hands of some of these ignorant, foolish, deviant men. Where is the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit