Retirement savings

by TxNVSue2023 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore
    I had humble beginning. Especially from a group who has a contempt for learning and personal growth (college education). I spend my time reading books on financial matters and investing. And I still read. I tell a fellow Jw instead of studying Watchtower 's empty promises, why not read about investing or starting a business. Watchtower has No useful information!
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BALAAMSASS2:

You never did tell us how it ended when the San Diego mental hospital called you last year because they ‘wanted to release a homeless 70 year old because her family and local Witnesses didn’t want her…’

Of the demographic of people who have the potential to be most harmed in the end by the JW religion’s policies, it is women.

Don’t forget: a woman has two choices in life: she either has to get married and have a man support her OR she has to get a career to support herself.. And she has a small window of time in which to do this: like when she’s young!.. The Witness religion is great at wasting people’s time and ignoring the clock on the wall.

Your ex took the married route BUT was deceived by an uncaring religion with faulty teachings to leave her husband... This proved to be life-ruining for her.. It also showed up the JW religion’s promises of help and provision as a mirage that disappears in the desert.

I could go on but I could have ended up in a terrible predicament if I were more gullible back in the day! .. I kept that job they all hated me for!.. Maybe my so-called ‘worldly’ upbringing saved me from falling for utter bullshit.. This is mostly why I have no use for this religion and very Glad I got out.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Long hair gal

Well, They left a message. I called them back about 7 hrs later and they had released her on her own. No doubt because an insurance company was unwilling to pay...or Medi-cal wouldn't foot the bill.

They did not have a forwarding address or phone. I asked around but no one knew what happened to her and she evidently disappeared into the morass of big city homeless. I only knew about her situation from phone calls from current and ex-Jws in the SF Bay Area who had seen her with her bags in coffee shops.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Longhair gal Thanks for the pm.

As I said a therapist explained her behavior to me and helped me to grasp why an adult would resist the basic math of aging and saving money for retirement.

She was on the edge of schizophrenia with "magical thinking". MOST adults grow out of believing in Santa, the tooth fairy, Prince Charming, and imaginary friends. SOME never do. Life is a HUGE disappointment for these gullible people as they age, grow old, and eventually die. Their parents die...and no longer support them. Magic money on trees does not exist. Hospitals are not free. Watchtower appeals to people with magical thinking.

A big SKY DADDY does not provide free food shelter and clothing, and it is not safe to pet lions and tigers. A fruit basket lady will not bring you free tropical fruit while you lay forever on the grass overlooking a view in the Alps.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RIVERGANG:

Your father was certainly right to tell you that the family you were spurning (in your ignorance) would be the ONLY ones that would help you.. Try looking to the religion or the people there for a$$istance.🤣

Your expression about ‘the bones of your backside’ can be frightfully true! 😬 It’s not easy out here even for those who planned.

Although I didn’t have the exact same conversation with my non-JW parents, they knew it was a mistake when I got involved with the Witnesses.. I had to ‘eat crow’ and apologize when I finally left.. Thankfully, I held onto my job. My so-called ‘worldly’ upbringing prevailed.

BALAAMSASS2:

Your depiction of the religion’s ’paradise’ is so pleasant with the view of the mountains and I imagine birds chirping and flowers blowing in the breeze! .. Also the lovely lady with the fruit basket is probably wearing a Tyrolean outfit!.. If it were a tropical locale the scenery would be a little different! 😊.. But, let JWs continue daydreaming and not planning at their own risk.

• LV101
    LV101

Longy - thank your parents and those in society who were adamant about education. My husband has always warned the young girls in our family and their friends they must have an education and know how to support themselves regardless of whether they marry or remain single. Husbands die, leave, have affairs, etc., and they could be out on the streets -- critical they save, invest and focus on career to fall back on if necessary.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LV101:

Very true and if I could give your post a hundred Likes, I certainly would.

People need to know this.

Yes, a woman MUST be able to provide for herself not only if she remains single. Marriages DO end and what happens if the guy loses his job or hurts his back, gets sick?? At least then she can put food on the table, etc.

The Witnesses are foolish to not deal in every day reality👎.. I feel sorry for anybody who listens to people living a cloistered life in ignorance, shielded from the world. What a mistake.

• LV101
    LV101

I hear ya, Longy. Hard to imagine young parents/young girls fall for the cult's slavery plan. I can't tell you how many young girls we know that married, (after college/during), divorced shortly thereafter and have remained single - younger males, also. Some we know have never married or broke off the relationship weeks before the wedding. One trip all the way to Boston for a big wedding and they called it off -- that was interesting 😂. They're too busy working and traveling w/their jobs/friends - never had children.

I warn one of my younger-male family members to cool the jets from here on out - no need to pay divorce lawyers thousands of dollars and deal with settlements again. I know - I'm terrible but he laughs/agrees. These young bucks have girls from all angles hitting on them -- girls have to be twice as cautious.

Amazing the mind control in cults -- very sad. Your daddy and mama did a great job!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I know a brother who was ( not to change the subject, but related.) Who learned he had cancer. Instead of following Doctor's advice on treatment which would had him live alittle long, but instead he spend his time doing Jw stuff. Stopped his high paying job to peddle a dream. His poor wife had to float the bills. Pretty Ridiculous!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FOOLEDNOMORE:

Yes, the sad story you told is related to the subject.

The common theme is somebody dropping out of the responsible ‘real’ world in order to ‘peddle the Witness dream’ - not unlike a JW not wanting to work/save for retirement, instead opting to be in the ministry.

There really isn’t any sane excuse to do what this man did (quit his job, right?). He would need good medical coverage and had to work in order to have it.. He would go on disability for the duration of his treatment. But he would still technically be employed. The treatments would mostly be covered and he would be responsible for copayments, etc. At least it wouldn’t be the disaster he left for his wife.

This isn’t the first time some JW mindlessly cast everything to the wind! Sounds like a child.. This is what happens in a group that cuts itself off from the rest of society and is not exposed to plain old common sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit