Impact of NWT

by menrov 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There have been many who have become JW when the NWT was not available in their language. That's all I got to say about that.

• millie210
    millie210

You cant even take an old red bible to the meeting without being viewed suspiciously.

Its a gray one or a tablet.

No latitude there.

• smiddy
    smiddy

In the 60`s , Australian witnesses I knew used the "American Standard Version of the Bible , simply because it used the name Jehovah in the Old Testament

Why didnt red flags go up then ? We all knew that all crackpot ideas /religions originate in the USA ?

My apologies to all the sane ex-JW`s who have left the cult who are exceptions to this rule.

edit to add : The WTB&TS printed and published a few other Bibles under license ,notably the King James Version , Byingtons Bible ,and if I`m not mistaken the American Standard Version , their may have been more .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Good News Bible is a paraphrase and the authors' religious views come through loud and strong. The NWT is not a translation, and is little better than a paraphrase, and its authors' doctrinal views come through loud and strong.

The G.N Bible is possibly the more honest of the two, not blatantly changing text that they find awkward, as the NWT does.

Had you stuck to the G.N Bible, or better still used a proper translation, you would have had a myriad questions the JW's would not want you to ask.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I agree with oldhippie on this. If you want to use another translation it might be viewed as odd but that won't stop you from being baptized. The focus of the meetings is not the bible but their bible study aids. That is what they care about. If you can agree with the baptismal questions then you can get baptized no matter what version of the bible you use.

As regarding the "need to get baptized" that is a requirement for Christianity. Almost universally it is done but the method and prerequisties vary amongst the denominations. Some people have many doubts but get baptized anyway in hopes of getting the "prize"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit