Impact of NWT

by menrov 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• menrov
    menrov

Hi all, just recently I was thinking about the period of my study and eventual baptism as JW. It took many years, I guess in all about 10 years. Various times I stopped the study but after a while it started again. Besides some other reasons, I noticed one thing: the change in bible I used. For the first couple of years, I used the Good News bible (in modern English). I really enjoyed that bible. Then, at some point I decided to only use the NWT (because all JW's do). It seems that from that point, I became more WT focused.

So my question is: would anyone become a baptized JW when he/she only uses another bible, not the NWT?

In other words, if I would have continued to use my own bible, would I ever feel the need to become a baptized JW?

• Chook
    Chook

They would consider it rebellion not to use NWT, your chances of baptism would be a big no, even though in old times they used king James . The Hebrew and Greek scholars at Warick have only endorsed the NWT of scripture. It's all about the grand magic trick , create a religion, create bible, create a unique language, have leaders that communicate with god then out comes the white rabbit out of Tony Morris pants.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Maybe one liberal elder might let you use another bible. But the other two elders who "go through your baptism questions" wouldnt. I think it'd seriously hamper you getting baptized.

I myself used to collect different Bibles for study and comparison. I was treated with caution by uber Jdubs. When asked the trick question of "what do you think the best translation is?" I'd always reply "the original Hebrew and Greek".

Shut them up.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

If you could raise your eyes from the USA and have a look at the world, you would realise that thru the years, lots and lots of people have lived in countries or spoken languages where there is no NWT. And we were baptised using the Bible / Bibles we had in our language. Even today there are languages in which there is no NWT. So there is no rule saying you have to use the NWT. In languages where you have the NWT in addition, it still is no rule. On the jw home page you can find some other translations - and they are there to be used.

• Saename
    Saename
    Chook - then out comes the white rabbit out of Tony Morris pants.

Wrong. The white rabbit comes out of Tony Morris's tight pants.

• menrov
    menrov

TheOldHippie , do not jump to conclusions as I am not from the US and have a pretty good view of what happens in the world. Therefore the question. It is a question, which means I can be wrong.

In countries where there is a NWT, it is an unwritten rule to use the NWT when studying the WT or participating in the WT study etc.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Chook Out comes the white rabbit out of Toni Morris pants LOL 😂😂

I knew a couple of old dears back in the 70s 80s that used the King James at the Kingdom Hall, baptised so long ago who knew if their was a NWT back then.

Menrov I too liked the Good News - I was given it at a kids summer hols thing run in our local park. It was run by some Evangelicals, games, food , fun for bored kids in the hols in the UK ( we didn't have summer camps like the USA). It was the most fun I ever had in my childhood. I thought I was in heaven. Parents didn't know, just thought I was in the park playing.

• George One Time
    George One Time

Reading the Arabic Bible, which was more literal translated than the NWT, opened up my eyes for quite a number of subjects. However, the Bible has so many horrible things in it, especially in the Mosaic law, that you cannot conceal those by translating it in a different way. So it was reading the Bible that helped me see ttatt.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In countries where there is a NWT, it is an unwritten rule to use the NWT when studying the WT or participating in the WT study etc......menrov

Image result for ain't that the truth

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

So my question is: would anyone become a baptized JW when he/she only uses another bible, not the NWT?

Possible but doubt it.

In other words, if I would have continued to use my own bible, would I ever feel the need to become a baptized JW?

I don't see how using a different bible may affect your decision. I personally don't see a correlation between one thing and the other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit