The Forgotten Ones

by ToesUp 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I think it varies from congregation to congregation. If jw family go to the same congregation, the elders expect them to help out or if in a nearby congregation. If they have no jw family nearby some elders assign a sister (usually a pioneer...supposedly they have more time) to handle it. Hardly ever a married couple. Others load up on the pioneers that are single helping 2 or 3 older jws. It is worse in Florida where there are so many in one congregation (we went to one congregation with only 2 families under 50 with children.

But then I heard jws complain that an elder's wife should be pioneering and she was taking care of her elderly mother and father, elderly MIL, and a blind sister in the congregation.

Then there were the elders that said the "worldly" relatives should take care of them and the jws had no responsibility.

I had a group of 5 sisters/brothers go out to eat at a frugal restaurant or sundaes and coffee once a month, my car group. We would some time go up to a park for a picnic every summer. I had a great time being the youngest and hearing all their stories.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I wrote something on this in the past, about my ex neighbor (JW). He was moved to a nursing

home and no family members in the area. We were neighbors for 10 years and I never told him I

was JW. We had some interesting discussions, lol.

Once or twice a month two elderly sisters come by to drop of the mags. I ask him why he

didn't receive more visit from the friends from the KH. He told me there are so many new ones that

don't know him, and they are so busy with the preaching work.

His sister(his only living family member) who was never a JW and live up north calls me to check on him.

An apostate checking on his health.

blondie" Worldly relatives should take care of them", Oh sure after you have sh---t on them for years.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

" Worldly relatives should take care of them", Oh sure after you have sh---t on them for years.''

This has always bothered me!!! For years, and years, and years and years. Always avoiding nonJW relatives and then having to rely on them. Terrible, just terrible.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

A sister who contact my family in the 60's (door work), my mother first, thank God my mom said

no thanks to the truth. Well she was able to get to my sister and her husband, then me(when I got married) and

my brother. So this sister became part of our family. As years past and the sister aged, no husband

and 1975 past she was taken in by my sister's family. For over 15 years I never heard her speak of her family.

My ex sometimes would take her to the KH, when my sister was unable to do so. So she live with my sister and

her husband and their 4 kids until she passed.

Well to our surprise when she became ill she contact her son who lived in England. He came to visit her and went back to England, and that was it. I don't believe he came to her funeral.

• atomant
    atomant

lts a sign of the times we live in.Whether or not your a jw l have noticed a deteriation in peoples demeanor.The oldies seem far more patient and giving and have morals and intestinal fortitude unlike the youngins of today.l think with many elders its a status thing.Most of em walk around with a carrot shoved up their bums havent you noticed the way they walk.

• hoser
    hoser

If the publishers could report time for assisting older ones in the congregation this wouldn't be a problem.

• theliberator
    theliberator

In all the decades of being a Witness and an elder, I don't believe love was the real driving force. Mowing lawns or helping in other ways was always scheduled. Elders would find those without privileges or lowly ministerial servants, but mostly oddballs, to do the "dirty" work. JW's loved going to help with Katrina, not because of love, but it is what they are programmed to do and they want recognition. Much like service, which was not about love for neighbor for the majority. I believe that I was typical. I just wanted to get this caring thing out of the way. I did my duty, and no one can say I didn't care. True love is in reality very rare. Even if older ones are taking care of physically, the love shown is often fake. You would hear of a brother saying from the platform how much we appreciate our older ones and brother or sister so and so, but in reality nobody really wanted to spend a lot of time with those older ones who had very little in common with you as a younger person. The conversations with older ones was shallow at best.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

atomat;

''l think with many elders its a status thing.Most of em walk around with a carrot shoved up their bums havent you noticed the way they walk.''

They walk around like a peacock!!!

hoser;

''If the publishers could report time for assisting older ones in the congregation this wouldn't be a problem''

In the Borg it's all about keeping-up appearances. Unfortunately, ''spiritual'' is defined as walking an extremely thin line. i,e, knocking on doors, commenting and such. This is why helping the elderly ones couldn't be counted as service time. It doesn't fit the line as what the Borg determines as ''spiritual''!!!!

• clarity
    clarity

The thing is .. that if this really was gods group & if members actually believed all that BS........ there would be no problem. But religion is a farce, a racket and a money grab! People know this in some part of themselves and they are just dragging through the motions! They don't want to lose the social club though!

About 10 years back while driving around with a car group, I suggested calling on an elderly sick 'sister who had given 65yrs to wt. Omg, they said .... "oh no ... her husband is worldly" and wouldn't stop to see her!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''About 10 years back while driving around with a car group, I suggested calling on an elderly sick 'sister who had given 65yrs to wt. Omg, they said .... "oh no ... her husband is worldly" and wouldn't stop to see her!''

That's just aweful!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit