The Forgotten Ones

by ToesUp 20 Replies latest jw friends

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Just curious...is anyone hearing the older/infirm ones speaking out to others on how they are being treated in the congregation? Without giving anything away, I have spoken to so many older ones (some are sickly or can't drive in the evening or can't drive at all) who can't make it to all the meetings, assemblies, etc., that are complaining on how they are being treated by the more righteous ones in the hall. The ones I have spoken to make the comment that it seems to be the younger Elders that have less empathy and concern for these ones. They just don't understand it and are even suffering from depression due to the lack of love. Whatever happened to watching over the older ones in the congregation? The empathy seems to be diminishing or gone. Sad!

Good grief, even the evil non JW's (lol) have meals on wheels, so some of these ones don't starve. The JW's don't even seem to be able to give some loving encouragement to these ones. I was raised in a family that taught, you take care of your own and even look out after friends and neighbors. What the hell is happening?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear ToesUp:

Thank you for this post.

In my congregation, the elderly are lovingly provided for. Even inactive ones like me (I no longer attend) are shown love. My belief is that people are good and kindhearted, or they are not. Religion is not necessarily a contributing factor. My great group of JW friends may no longer be the norm.

The people of Malta showed Paul and other shipwreck survivors extraordinary human kindness; they were pagans.

Best wishes.

CoCo

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

There was a noticeable split in the congregations I know of some years ago, not rich or poor, educated or not, but between the age groups. As older ones declined there was a noticeable lack of care for them from the young people and younger elders who made it a habit to get together excluding anyone over about 30. Gatherings of the younger ones as regular as meetings as they led a full lifestyle of pleasure of sorts.

Back in the 60s real concern and help for the elderly.

Circuit overseers have another split generally ,favouring the well off, I wonder why?

• Landy
    Landy
    My belief is that people are good and kindhearted, or they are not. Religion is not necessarily a contributing factor. My great group of JW friends may no longer be the norm.

The problem is that the goodness and kindheartedness does depend on us toeing the line and being good JWs. Step out of there and it's amazing how that friendship suddenly dries up.

• pile2222
    pile2222
    When my sister went on a 2 week vacation ONLY 1 sister from all the people at the kh asked my mom if she needs something from the stores, for her to go grocery shopping for my mom. My sister normally goes shopping with her because she has a car an d they don't live close to the stores. My mom was happy that somebody asked her. But many knew that my mom was on her own for 2 weeks.
  • OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

My very elderly frail parents live less than 500 feet(US) from their kingdumb hall. My mother cries when she speaks about the oh so "loving" brothers and sisters that just drive by going to or from the KH and cannot even be bothered to wave, let alone stop for a few minutes and visit.

My father being somewhat more stoic just simply says, "No one ever stops anymore."

As much as I can from over 1000 miles away I take care of them myself. Daily calls. A road trip every five or six weeks to personally check in on them. Using the "world" to the full to assist in any way I can until better arrangements can be made, because the JDubya's cannot care less than they do.

My multiple requests to have someone at least stop for a few minutes and let them know they are missed go ignored, even being asked myself by the eldurrs, "wouldn't it be better if they just went to sleep and passed away in their sleep?"

Damned hypocritical idiots. And yes, I see that where I am, the older ones are ignored, ridiculed, and generally treated like trash that the young healthy kool-aid drinkers wish they could have hauled away. (Rant over)

• dbq407
    dbq407
    Unless they are contributing money, the Watchtower has no use for them.
  • OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

Ah, @dbq407, I think that is the reason my dear parents are now being unofficially shunned.

My father commented to me at the time all the new shiny electronic gadgets were bought for their KH so the congregation could watch GBTV, all the loony videos for the CLAM etc., and then began their blatant pandering for money during every local needs that he was no longer going to contribute anything. And he quit giving money.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    I have heard soooo many admit they no longer donate. They either can't or won't.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I think a lot of people are at their breaking-point. With all the ''donate'',''donate'',''donate'' guilting in the last nearly 2 years now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit