More Comments

by Farkel 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Farkel
    Farkel

jgnaut,

: Much of the Hebrew Scriptures is a dispassionate account of Israel’s history

Most of the Hebrew Scriptures is total bullshit written after-the-fact so that Israel could make them look better in history than they actually were. After all, they were just a small tribe of nomadic and superstitious people who couldn't conquer an infestation of cockroaches, let alone the formidable and cultured foes like the Phillistines (yes, the Phillistines WERE cultured), et. al. they faced in their book of fairy tales.

Read about it. The Israelites lied about their history hundreds of years after-the-fact. The problem with Bible-Thumpers(tm) is that they won't bother to research this fact and they reject any fact that destroys their cherished notions in a book that is close-to-worthless as a worthwhile historical document if one choses to include anachronisms in the study of it.

Farkel

• Satanus
    Satanus

Israel finkelstein is the director of sonia and marco nadler institute of archaeology at tel aviv university. He is currently codirector of the university's excavations at tel megiddo, one of israel's most important biblical-archaeological sites.

In his book, 'the bible unearthed', he sums up that the ot was a propaganda piece by the smaller more backward, priestly run southern tribes against the more progressive northern tribes. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684869136/qid=1051501436/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-8214551-4156838

Can you say sour grapes? Not dispassionate, that's for sure.

SS

• avishai
    avishai

Not to mention leviticus, numbers, & deuteronomy, which read like city health code to me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Question, Farkel; do you think that EVERYONE who leaves the WTS should believe like you, and should leave for the same reasons you did?

• jgnat
    jgnat

What do we put our faith in? Whatever we chose; whether it be our education, intellect, religion, sanity, or bible, if we make these God we will be disappointed. Because sooner or later this thing that we put all our hope in will prove imperfect.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bibleinterp.com%2Fcomment.htm

To be true to myself and to grow, I must allow my preconceptions to be rocked. I have found that my security is not in having the perfect answer, but in the honest searching. As long as the bible is not treated as God, it can be a good foundation to live by. By dispassionate I was referring to some of the more bloody and foolish episodes in the bible. For example, Johnathan narrowly excaped being executed by his father because of a foolish vow. Just because those stories are recounted does not mean they should be followed blindly. See above.

If bible studies pain you, stay out of the Bible Study section.

• Farkel
    Farkel

jgnaut,

: Question, Farkel; do you think that EVERYONE who leaves the WTS should believe like you,

Obviously, not. But I DO think that everyone who cares should have access to the information that is available. Those who wish to not deal with it will at least have had a chance to see it. This kind of information is not available to those who are still JWs unless they want to get in trouble by seeing it.

:...and should leave for the same reasons you did

People leave for the reasons people leave. I wonder if you even know what made me leave 33 years ago. Do you? Do you REALLY know?

Farkel

• one
    one

WT says egyptian shoose not to keep record of the Red Sea 'miracle' and related matters.

But some time ago Farkel mentioned that there is not a single evidence of the Jews wandering in the desert for 40 years. I would be interesting to read more comments about the topic...

• Farkel
    Farkel

one,

: But some time ago Farkel mentioned that there is not a single evidence of the Jews wandering in the desert for 40 years. I would be interesting to read more comments about the topic...

If you are looking for any evidence that the Jews ever slaved in Egypt for 400 years OR wandered around the desert for 40 years, then you are going to be very disappoined: there is NOTHING to read that proves that claim. True, there are plenty of "comments," but there is virtually NO evidence for that claim.

Unlike the Assyrians who re-wrote their history, the Babylonians and Egyptians were fairly honest about it, good and bad. With a so-called 400 year history of Jewish slavery, one would think there would at least be a shred of evidence that the Jews were slaves in Egypt during that period. There is none. If they weren't a captive nation in Egypt, then they couldn't have wandered in the wilderness for 40 years.

If they WERE slaves in Egypt as claimed and DID wander around the desert in that area for forty years, there should be SOME evidence of their massive nightly encampments for 14,600 nights during that time. There is none. None. Zip. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

The whole story is bullshit and was made up hundreds of years after the fact by Jewish revisionists who wanted the world to think the Israelites were much grander than the puny little wandering group of superstitious and clueless tribes they really were.

Sort of like Rutherford and his later followers making up stuff about dubs being far grander and far more significant than the little irritating religion they really are.

Nothing has changed.

Farkel

• one
    one

Farkil,

That was quick, thanks, WT never mentioned any available evidence either.

Now, what about evidence 'found' supporting the goblal flood.

I have in mind WT mentioning sea animals found in high mountains etc. I dont remember reading anything against such "evidence".

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Remember critics stated that there was no evidence of Pontius Pilot in History. Did that make it a fact? Latter, an inscription verified that, in fact, Pilot did exist.

With respect, I offer the other side of the coin:

The names Yitzchak (Isaac), Ya'akov (Jacob), Yoseph (Joseph), and Yishmael (Ishmael) all begin with something linguists call the "Amorite imperfective." From studying lists of thousands of names found from the third millennium and later, Kitchen shows that 55 percent of the names during the time of the Patriarchs begin with an i / y sound, but already "by 1500 the whole thing drops to a tiny percentage and never ceases dropping after that." Where, Kitchen asks, did did fiction writers of the middle first millennium B.C. get these names if they were composing their biblical novellas (a short novel) a thousand or more years after the names had fallen from popular use?
    Kitchen asks the same question about Genesis 37:28, which states that Joseph was sold by his brothers to slave traders for 20 silver shekels while on their way to Egypt. Tracking the price of slaves sold from 2400 B.C. to 400 B.C. Using extrabiblical sources, he finds that this amount matches exactly tile going price in the eighteenth century B.C. Steady inflation had driven it up to 30 shekels by the thirteenth century, which corresponds to Exodus 21:32; 50 shekels in the eighth century, which corresponds to 2Kings 15:20), and to nearly 100 shekels soon after the exile from Egypt in the sixth century.
    It is worth noting that the practice of using forced labor for building projects is only documented for the period 1450 to 1200 B.C., the time most biblical historians place the Israelites in Egypt. The realization that there were others enslaved along with the Hebrews may explain who the "mixed multitude" of Exodus 12:38 are who joined the freedom train. (for more on the Israelites coming out of Egypt see the article 'Did The Exodus Never Happen', in September 7, 1998, Christianity Today Magazine )

-David in archaeology:-Kings David and Solomon reigns spanned from about 1000 B.C. to 920 B.C.
    In 1993, excavations at the ancient city of Dan (named after one of the twelve tribes of ancient Israel) unearthed a stone slab dating to 841 B.C. It contained the first ancient extrabiblical reference to the "House Of David" (a phrase used more than 20 times in the Old Testament. Discovered in two pieces the Tel Dan Stele stone slab is helping to muffle those who say King David was a myth.
    In addition, an ancient receipt (in stone) for three shekels donated to the "Temple of Yawweh" gives us the oldest known reference outside the Bible to King Solomon's temple. And, a seal with Solomon's name on it could very well date to the 10th century B.C. when Solomon still lived. ... Journal for the Study of the Old Testament .

-Israel in archaeology:-On a seven foot high stone slab, Pharaoh (King) Merneptah (son of Rameses II, 1203 B.C.) boasted (prematurely) that "Israel is laid waste and his seed is not." This was the first extrabiblical mention of Israel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit