Unique Words and Expressions Of Jehovah’s Witnesses

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Incognito
    Incognito

Some words and phrases are not necessarily unique to JWs but are given unconventional meanings by WT which will confuse nonJWs and may provide plausible deniability for JWs if questioned by nonJWs.

Disfellowshipped vs Disassociated by actions (example: joining military or accepting a blood transfusion)

True Christian vs Christian

Lie vs Theocratic warfare

The GB are imperfect men that are not spirit directed vs everything the GB state was communicated by God and must be believed and followed without question.

"It would be presumptuous to say we are the only spoke persons God's is using" vs God has only one chosen earthly organization and representatives.

Christian vs Jehovian

Humble vs bragging of every success of the WT organization and JWs as a group

We are all brothers with no one above any other vs GB, Bethelites, COs, Elders, Pioneers etc all have higher status above rank and file JWs

We give voluntarily and do not tithe or pass the collection plate vs ...

Other confusing terms include:

Slave

Pioneer

Publisher

Servant

Privilege

• sparky1
    sparky1

The most overused word in the Governing Body verbal armamentarium : EVIDENTLY.

It is used simultaneously to buy in or opt out, accept or reject, confirm or deny , polemicize for or against any moral teaching, theological construct or historical boondoggle promulgated by the Governing Body and is used as needed according to the current interpretation of new light.

• rh3988
    rh3988

"You are to be commended."

• hybridous
    hybridous

'Make the TRUTH your OWN!'

Although, to be fair, this was more prevalent when I was a kid in the 1980s. I took it to mean that a person should independently verify the JW religion's teaching to a level of the believer's personal satisfaction.

Me, taking this advice, and tryin' like hell to 'make the truth my own', led directly to my current state of being on the outside of the religion, and unlikely to ever return.

No wonder then, that the phrase 'Make the Truth your own', has become scarce in more recent decades. They don't really want that independent verification going on...

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Tiki and slimboyfat, you guys sound like you could be JW rappers, a JW GB approved version of the 80s gospel hip hop group The King's Crew

• minimus
    minimus

Love this thread 👍👍

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'submarine witness'.

yes. That one always troubled me. Bothered me. That's just the condescending nature of the stuffy over righteous zealot JW's.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

Practical.

Buying a car? Is it practical?

Clothes? Practical?

Job? Practical?

Housing? Practical?

The list goes on and on.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''The list goes on and on.''

& seems to never end, LOL.

• hybridous
    hybridous

Practical.

Buying a car? Is it practical?

Clothes? Practical?

Job? Practical?

Housing? Practical?

The list goes on and on.

Wearing a suit to a Zoom meeting in your own kitchen or living room?

Practical?!

Eschewing a solid education and career to Pious-Sneer, knock on doors full-time, build no savings and rely on the generosity of others for mere sustenance?

Practical?

Yeah - funny that how 'practical' considerations go right out the window when the Organization wants you to be IM-practical...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit