Do todays Jw's care at all about Russell and the pyramid?

by olongapo joe 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• olongapo joe
    olongapo joe
    Just wondering, as I will be visiting active jw family in Ohio in a few weeks, do you think it will be worthwhile dropping it into a conversation, about the wtbts pyramid near his grave, or try some other topic to try and wake them up. I was never baptized and don't really care if they get upset or not, but it is only a day trip from ohio to Pittsburgh, and thought it would be fun if they denied it, and then drove their to see it for ourselves.
  • FormerlySandL
    FormerlySandL
    I don't think it's a big deal to anybody. I was brought up as witness and it was hardly mentioned by anybody. It's not one of those prickly subjects.(at least in my experience)
  • MrTheocratic
    MrTheocratic
    Most JW'S are on a constant treadmill of theocratic activities that time to meditate about things never really happens. Even though Russell is considered to be the beloved grandfather of JW'S , your friends will simply blame his tomb on old light. "We don't believe that anymore" thinking.
  • FormerlySandL
    FormerlySandL

Asking how they feel about the way the organisation deals with child abuse would be more provacative .....especially if you told them that was a stumbling block for you studying. that's the only way they would engage in coversation about it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

When I was raised as a JW, the Russell era was ancient history. Anything he did was just seen as an imperfect man 'doing his best(tm)'.

Mention Russell or even Boozerford and it won't make any difference to them.

We didn't care when we were in the 'truth(tm)'.

• galaxie
    galaxie
    One subject could be ...' building on a solid foundation ' as in the founding beliefs and organisational aspects of the wtbts... the point being a structure is only ever sound/strong , if built on a solid foundation. The pyramid subject could could be used to demonstrate the dubious and weak foundation upon which the contemporary organisation stands. Shoring up the crumbling foundation with 'new light' only serves to prove the original foundation was not built correctly and may always require propping up.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

When I was a JW I hadn't even heard about the Pyramid in connection with the 'Divine Plan of the Ages' or the Russell grave site pyramid. If I had known about it then I certainly would have raised an eyebrow especially considering it was still believed when Jesus did his supposed survey of the earth in 1918 to choose his faithful slave.

olongapo joe you wrote: "...and then drove their to see it for ourselves."
    Take some pictures and post them on JWN or it didn't happen :)

Hey punkofnice you wrote: "...
    Anything he did was just seen as an imperfect man 'doing his best(tm)'".
    My answer to JWs in this regard is: So does the Pope. And don't give me that he's infallible shtick because that only counts when he's making a Papal decree. Its like when the governing body meets they transform into (G)uardians (O)f (D)octrine. Power rangers assemble!

• sherrie11
    sherrie11
    No! They want the sheep to forget.. He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past George Orwell 1984
  • steve2
    steve2

I would be very surprised if your average JW knows Charles Russell's middle name, (Taze), let alone any of the crazy schemes he leant his name to. Earlier generations of JWs fondly recalled the man as Charles Taze Russell whereas an impudent chap like me calls him Chuck Russell.

I'd be even more surprised if your average JW had even a skerrick of curiosity about what their founder actually taught.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Agreed with what formerlyS&L said above!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit