Could the world "go back in time" 20+ years?

by Simon 30 Replies latest social current

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Sixofnine.

I don't really know what you mean, 'leave a bitter taste in the British mouth?'

I don't think anyone in Britain likes to have laws passed in a different country that we then have to follow. In the past few years we have had to change from the imperial measuring system (which is still used in the US) over to the metric system. It is now against the law for shops to sell in imperial unless it offers the price in metric aswell.

Would you be happy having laws dictated to you from a country outside of the country you are living in?

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

I wish it could, and I wish I could, I'd be in time to stop myself from getting baptized! I agree about the better music back then, too...still listening to most if it...

~Es

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Search, I was mostly just having a little fun with Brussel Sprouts.

I have to admit though, I'm a bit clueless as to why anyone in the year 2003 would think that nationalistic pride to the extent you speak of, is a good thing. Who gives a damn if a law is authored by someone in Brussels or London, as long as it is a just law? Hasn't life taught you this: often, outside viewpoints shake things up in a good way. That applies to almost every aspect of life, no less petty politics.

Are all humans brothers? Or are they not? If they are, then lets act like it. Anything to tear down national borders (metaphorically, not literally, at this point) is a good thing, isn't it?

• Jayson
    Jayson

Search I agree with you. Bill O and his ilk don't always sit well with me but I think I understand what you mean. I hope we talk more about this issue.

• Simon
    Simon

I think people are misunderstanding the job of news agencies. They report what people are saying and what is happening. If some russian is saying it is a big plot then they report that he is saying this, not that it is a big plot. What I mean is, because it's a reputable news agency then I am confident that the person said what they are reported to have said but it does not really lend it any more credibility.

As for border controls ... I think they are too lax and this is a danger because of security and rapid transfer of diseases.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Sixofnine.

Just to clear it up, I am not really nationalistic, but it's the way things are being dictated to another sovreign nation against the traditions of that nation.

Traditional measures may be a small point, but not to all the shopkeepers that had to but new scales and faced fines for not doing, and also the older generation who get confused buying in grammes instead of ounces. I agree that it seems a small issue, so why did it need to be changed?

Jayson,

Yep, it's a big issue and I don't think it is at all wrong to be worried about the borders being too open. Not everyone who wants to come into a country has good motives so a country should have the right to stop them if they wish, but only with sufficient reason.

• proplog2
    proplog2

SIMON:

Back on the subject. A lot of air travel is unnecessary. There have been articles about how more companies, because of SARS, are using their teleconferencing capabilities and getting along just fine.

Even technical problems on board space stations are worked out through teleconferencing.

This is a good test on how much humans are now interconnected.

Microbes that are too fatal to their hosts die out quickly. The reason influenza spreads so widely is that its mortality rate is low. Because SARS is so deadly the alarm has sounded & humans will mobilize all their social defenses as well as technical skills to combat it.

It is possible to stop SARS with quarantine. And I believe they will. In 3 to 6 months we will be talking about our victory over SARS just like we talk about the rapid war in Iraq.

• Simon
    Simon

I think you're right - a lot of people travel a lot on 'junkets' which has no work or business benefit whatsoever and is just a way of them getting some jollies at shareholders & customers expenses.

Most of this could be done via video links and so on.

• Adam
    Adam

I think that as more people travel farther, they are exposed to more different cultures and learn different viewpoints than what they've got at home. I feel that exposure coupled with learing and a good heart leads to tollerance. In my view a group of people who attempt to wall out outside influences and differences of lifestyle are inherintly less tollerant than those who have been exposed to a variety of different peoples and ways of life. Just a thought.

• Jayson
    Jayson

Si,

Truth is SARS does not keep me hinding under the sheets at night. I doubt it is going to be the next black death. In fact put me down for $20 against.

BACK to secure boarders and the lack there of I think is the real problem. Should seriously sick people be allowed to travel period. I say no. I don't know what to say about China lying about how they have been failing to contain the outbreak but it seems that Vietnam did. (((YEPPIE)))

Didn't we have deadly outbreaks of illness 20 years ago? And 200 years ago? And 2000 years ago? Maybe this will make you pull the sheets tighter. It seems that illnesses keep "outbreaking" what will we be facing 20+ years from now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit