Could the world "go back in time" 20+ years?

by Simon 30 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

The situation with SARS in Asia appears to be worsening and travel restrictions alone are likely to have a devastating effect on the immediate Asian economy (Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc...) as a lot of these rely on trade and travel.

I wonder if the world could now cope with going back 20+ years to a time when fewer people travelled and international travel was a rarity for the majority of people.

Nowadays we take for granted that we can jump on a plane and jet off to faraway lands ... but what if we couldn't? Could we get by?

I think one "benefit" (bad word) to SARS is that it could put a brake on globalisation which I see as a bad thing.

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's a question I ask when you look at mobile phone use (or cell phones as you Americans call them). Literally everbody I know has one. I bought one when they were a rareity about 10 years ago, got fed up being shafted for the cost of calls, got rid of the phone by paying off a huge contract fee and swore never to own one again. So far I have stuck to that, but I am starting to stand out by my lack of a mobile rather than being one of the first people to have one. But one question I like to ask people in return is, "could you live without your mobile?". It's hard to remember what that world was like 20 years ago before this revolution.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

If free-travel is limited then this will undoubtedly affect the economy worldwide.

I can't help feeling that a new virus of this danger couldn't have started by itself, maybe it was a bio-weapon that has accidentally (or purposely) been released. It also seems to be mutating. The fact that it has started in China should make us worried, as we know they have a large Bio-weapons research program.

The World Health Organisation has said that 1 in 7 people could die as a result of contracting SARS. Very scary. But what is the result of this threat? More control of the population, and a new source of fear to keep everybody demanding the governments to take away more freedom to protect them from this terror.

• Scully
    Scully

The travel restrictions due to SARS don't affect me personally, in terms of where I travel. However, there will be a fair bit of economic fallout in places where WHO has recommended that people avoid as travel destinations.

Toronto is well-liked as a vacation destination and it is more or less the hub of Canadian travel. Their tourism industry is taking a beating over the SARS issue. Conventions have been cancelled and companies are refusing to send their representatives to Toronto on business, with a resultant loss of billions of dollars in tourism and hospitality revenues. The Toronto Blue Jays issued a statement last week that they had considered cancelling all home games at the Skydome and having the team play at opposing team venues for this season, while SARS was a concern. They chose in favour of not cancelling home games - (and this was not mentioned as a reason, but it makes sense) it would have meant refunding season ticket holders to the tune of billions of dollars - I seriously doubt the team could have afforded it.

Toronto's mayor is outraged (rightfully so) at the WHO statement that recommends avoiding Toronto as a travel destination. The CDC has applauded the measures that Toronto has taken to contain SARS through quarantine, precautions and public education and feels that the restriction was short-sighted and ill advised, basically "overkill".

It's going to have a dreadful impact on Toronto's economy, and it's an effect that isn't going to go away simply by the WHO making a statement to the effect that "Toronto is OK now, please forget what we said before". It will take years to recover from that blow.

Seriously, West Nile Virus is the disease we are more concerned about in Canada, but WHO is not issuing any statements regarding it at all. We do know that WNV is spread by mosquitoes, so we are taking measures to (a) reduce the mosquito population; (b) teach people how to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes and (c) avoid handling dead birds (which also carry WNV if they have been bitten by infected mosquitoes) but are otherwise not a risk to humans because birds generally avoid people.

The thing about SARS is that while we think we know what causes it (coronavirus), we are befuddled as to its modes of transmission. Even when taking every known measure of protection (with the exception of a full body suit that would be used for diseases like Ebola), some health care workers have become ill. That in itself is cause for alarm. It is believed that the coronavirus responsible for SARS can live on inanimate objects for 24 hours - also cause for concern. It's going to make people become obsessive with cleanliness and sterile conditions. While clean is definitely good.... obsession and paranoia are... not so good.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian)

Love, Scully

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Nowadays we take for granted that we can jump on a plane and jet off to faraway lands

i'm always jetting off on a plane.... must be nerves or something

air travel is a good way of catching/spreading viruses. remember the TB outbreaks we had here in england recently?

go back 20 years? yep why not, much better music back then.

• Ed
    Ed
    go back 20 years? yep why not, much better music back then.

And the beer was cheaper. Bring it on, I say!

• free will
    free will

the world was a better place then.. sure i'd do it. people had to intimately communicate. there were more dreamers - people with goals. i'd love it.

• JH
    JH

SARS is getting me worried. Stated in China, then in Toronto. Now it is spreading almost everywhere.

We had major epidemics in the past, and it will happen again. Who knows how this will finish?

• Simon
    Simon
    I can't help feeling that a new virus of this danger couldn't have started by itself, maybe it was a bio-weapon that has accidentally (or purposely) been released. It also seems to be mutating. The fact that it has started in China should make us worried, as we know they have a large Bio-weapons research program.

It seems to be a modern phenomenon to look for conspiracy theories everywhere! The simple fact is that every so many years, flu-like viruses spread the planet and this has happened from way before we had any genetic skills. We have been long overdue for one for some time.

It just so happens it's China but it would be unfair to blame the Chinese for it any more than it would be to blame the USA (or wherever the first case was) for Aids.

I think SARS could be "the big one" if it is not quickly eradicated. Most countries seem to be taking it very, very seriously with the possible exception of the UK - our handling of the foot & mouth crisis shows how incapable the Government here is of handling anything of this nature

Perhaps a simpler would would be better? I don't know where things are headed currently but things were getting a bit overheated in some areas.

BTW: I hardly ever use my mobile phone. Mobile ring tones are my pet hate (well, one of them)

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

So we can't speculate anymore.

I thought thats what a discussion board was for?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit