Changed From "Disfellowshipped" to "No Longer One of Jehovah's Witnesses!

by Atlantis 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

A friend is trying to figure out the approximate date or letter, which indicated a change from the wording of public announcements.

They changed from saying the person has been disfellowshipped to saying that a person was no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I thought it was around the time of the Bulgaria scandal.

Could you help us out to remember when this change took place? If we could remember the approximate year, we could look up all the BOE's for that year and might find the letter.

Many thanks!

Atlantis!

• hoser
    hoser

I thought it was late 90’s or early 2000’s.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

hoser:

I thought the same thing because the Bulgaria scandal was in the 1990's. I'll do a search on the board and see if I can find a discussion about it.

Thanks hoser!

Atlantis!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I found one letter dated for 1987 which shows an announcement with a difference in wording, so I guess it was a little earlier than what I thought.

Thanks hoser:

Atlantis!

• ReadOnly
    ReadOnly

Did a quick search on wol and Google.

It appears in 1986 they still mentioned whether a person was DA or DF in the announcement, and the 1991 Shepherd book already prescribes the "no longer a JW" announcement (didn't check).

• ReadOnly
    ReadOnly

OD book 1989 version still has the old "person is disfellowshipped" wording (p148, p151).
    So they must have changed it after that.

http://www.watchtowerwayback.org/jw-wb/English/Internal%20Documents/Organization/1983-1989%20Organised%20to%20accomplish%20our%20ministry%20(om-E).pdf

• Earnest
    Earnest

In the 1981 book Pay Attention to Yourselves and to all the Flock it says, regarding those who disassociate themselves:

Those who disassociate themselves should be viewed and treated the same as disfellowshipped persons.

A brief announcement should be made to the congregation that this individual is, by his chosen course, no longer desirous of being one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Branch Office should be notified.

• Overrated
    Overrated
    "No longer a Jw" sounds good to me. Did not want to be one when I was forced to be one growing up.
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

ReadOnly:

Earnest:

This will help greatly! Thank you so very much for your assistance.

Atlantis!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I believe this ''No longer a JW'' change was in early 2005.

There was all this ''hype'' of an ''announcement''.

All this hype just led to a new protocol book, was what all this ''announcement'' was about. I remember it vividly after the WT on a Sunday. Couples holding hands and pretty much snuggled together. Expecting something BIG,

It was just a book. I remember the whole thing vividly. Just a book. You could almost feel the air whooshing out of the KH in disappointment. The brother doing the book release on stage just kind of highlighted the book a bit. One thing he highlighted was a new procedure of no longer announcing ''so and so is disfellowshipped'' and you can find this in this book.

Yeah. A BIG announcement in early 2005. Turned-out just to be a book. With new procedures, that's all. To avoid any legal matters, of course. That's all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit