How soon is soon?

by Sour Grapes 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

Is soon sooner than imminent or is imminent sooner than soon?

I've written about this before, but every time I see / hear the word "imminent" I am reminded of this:

About 10 or so years ago, the local bug-eyed nutbar elder was giving a service meeting part one Tuesday evening.

Have no idea what his theme was, but at some point he was trying to emphasize how "soon" Armageddon was.

This is more or less a verbatim transcript:

"So friends, at our recent convention, did they say the end was soon? Did you hear them say it was soon? I didn't hear them say it was soon. They did not say the end was going to be soon.

No, they said the end was...."

[pause for effect]

[wild bug-eyed stares to left, center, right, center, left]

[more dramatic pause]

"IMMINENT!!!!"

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I think imminent is way sooner than soon.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think imminent is way sooner than soon

Sour Grapes ...

Maybe imminently soon is sooner that just imminent.

Rub a Dub

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

How long is the time period for soon?

Well as the Dub's always say "a thousand years is as a day and a day as a thousand years", so they figure that soon is only a week or two. Two weeks=fourteen days=fourteen thousand years. I guess waiting for another "day" or two is "soon" according to their whacked out timetable!

• steve2
    steve2

There is nothing quite so elastic as the promise/threat of the end.

Trace through the long-centuries since Christianity first started: You will find religious groups dotted along the centuries utterly convinced the end is imminent. One by one they eventually fade only to be replaced by new religious groups who proclaim: "Whilst all previous groups have been wrong, we are only now in the last days and we alone are on the right path to salvation."

Let's face it, if Christianity can survive 2,000-plus years of false ends, the JWs' 139 plus years since the Watchtower Society became a legal corporation and made predictions after false predictions is mere peanuts.

Of course, JWs are past their heyday of growth in the West, but fear not: Other religious groups will supersede them, thundering the message of the imminence of the end.

And on and on and on and on and on it will go. As if there are not better, more productive ways to waste your limited days on earth. Still, it takes all kinds.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

We are in the last days of the last days. Better not buy any green bananas.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The religious scam is still alive and well. They always proclaim we are in the 'end times™' in our lifetime or some such nonsense.

People buy into the lie.

Religions get money.

If they said, 'the end times are in 200 years time', who would give the churches support or money as much?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit