How soon is soon?

by Sour Grapes 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

If I were hungry, and I asked when dinner would be ready, and I was told "soon"....

And 140 years later I still hadn't eaten....

I'd be peeved!

• Listener
    Listener

Is soon sooner than imminent or is imminent sooner than soon?

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

"How soon is now"

We are the sons
    And the heirs
    Of a kingdom that will be here any time now
    We're the sons and heirs
    Of nothing in particular : )
    So shut your mouth
    How can you say
    We go about things the wrong way?
    We know you're human and you need to be loved
    And we'll use that fact if you ever speak out against us.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Soon is very near, just around the corner. I was not supposed to graduate high school in 1975 because the end was so very near, just around the corner. Now, my 61st birthday is soon, very near, just around the corner.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I had the same rhetoric at the cart in my town centre this week with the two ladies that work it, I've become quite good friends with them so all conversation is extremely light hearted, I told them and all the other doomsday groups have been saying the same thing for many many decades!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The very subject inspired me to make a video long ago. It seems like it was sooner than that.

Soon

• Magnum
    Magnum

Related question: How close (or far off) is "imminent"? There was a JW old-timer with whom I was really close. In the mid 90's, I began to sort of pick friendly arguments with whom about the fact that JWs had changed the "generation" teaching and had been so wrong about the nearness of the end in the past. He would get worked up and say "it's umminent! it's umminent!" [translation: "imminent"]. That was his only response - "it's umminent!"

So, it was imminent in 1995? If it starts tomorrow, 23 years later, was he right? Could "imminent" refer to something over two decades in the future?

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

My mom was a JDub for 60 years and she beat into my brain as an eight-year-old kid that the end is right around the corner. Soon God would show the nations who is boss.

A year before she died in her mid-eighties, I mentioned my childhood and how she said the end was soon. Her answer was, "Well just think how much sooner it is now compared to 60 years ago."

You can not reason with JDubs. Their brain cells have been destroyed by the Watchtower cocaine.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is intriguing how a JW could be utterly convinced decades ago that the end was definitely within the next few years, and yet can still be equally passionate that it is soon, within a few years. How do they fail to remember that they were utterly convinced of the nearness of Armageddon decades ago and continue with the same level of conviction?

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

jwfacts...what is even sadder is how today's "yung wans" don't have any knowledge about the Watchtower's failed prophecies so Armageddon for them being soon now has a new starting date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit