Isabel Paterson on Dubs

by Farkel 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

A very good friend of mine who’s also a professor of English Literature and Humanities at a large, well-known University is also a Libertarian! He is quite a remarkable person, who has written extensively on many and varied subjects including a book on the Titanic disaster, Ayn Rand, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Isabel Paterson, a contemporary of Ayn Rand. He knows more about JWs than even most informed apostates, although he has never been a JW. Furthermore, he’s a big fan of my writing on the subject and has even encouraged me to write a book on the subject. So, if he is nothing else, at least the guy has good taste.

In 1993 he wrote an essay on Isabel Paterson for Liberty Magazine and I have a copy of it. At the end is a collection of snippets from her various writings.

He states, “Isabel Paterson was a memorable writer of aphorisms, epigrams, maxims, and other annotations on life. The best of Paterson’s writings in this manner would fill a book. Here is a small sample.” (I’m not going to reveal his name, because all of his accomplishments are only exceeded by his own modesty. It’s a wonder he and I ever became friends then, huh? J )

In reading over these quotes from Paterson, I couldn’t help but make a connection between them and Jehovah’s Witnesses and their leaders. Those of them which are not noted to be verbatim quotes I’ve ever-so-slightly changed so they can apply to dubs. Here goes:

On WTS rules and regulations:

“Next time any one says, ‘There ought to be a law,’ you know the answer – ‘There is.”

On meetings, field service, personal study, assemblies, quick-builds, and the “full life” JWs lead:

“What this religion needs is a lot less of all sorts of things.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the many laws and “conscience matters” in the JW religion:

“We have been asked, Don’t you want the law enforced? We can only reply: We’re not so darned sure, and neither would you be if you knew what the law is.”

On disfellowshipping:
    “There is practically nothing you can’t be disfellowshiped for now.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the idiocy of WTS rules and regulations:
    “A lot of religious principle is contained in the two words: “Just don’t.” Much of the rest is encompassed by the suggestion of minding one’s own business. The whole is summed up in the word “liberty.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On how apostates explain to dubs why they are so glad they are no longer dubs:
    “When we say free speech, we mean free speech, even if you don’t know what we mean.”

On answer to the standard dub question, “but where else can we go?”:
    “Freedom is dangerous. Possibly crawling on all fours might be safer than standing upright. But we like the view better up here.”

On dub leaders:
    “A Watchtower official is a man who would cheat even at solitaire.” (Slightly altered by me.)

“The biggest pests are the people who use altruism as an alibi. What they passionately wish is to make themselves important.”

On WT history and its current leaders :
    “Anyone who has been continuously wrong for 125 years is just wasting his time at the Brooklyn Bethel.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the best way to force change in the WT religion (hit ‘em in their pocketbooks where it hurts them the most):
    “Kingdoms are more likely to collapse by a deficit than to perish by the sword.”

On the price they pay for the foolhardy way R&F dubs allow their leaders to interfere in their lives:
    “Destitution is easily distributed. It’s the one thing religious power can insure you.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the true nature of WTS power-brokers who cherish their absolute power and who puff themselves up with such terms “shining ones” and “glorious ones”:
    “Equality among men is in fact the inevitable ideal of a high civilization, since men of lofty minds and gentle nature feel as much repugnance to possessing privilege for themselves as they do to tyranny exercised upon themselves. It is the inferior man who clutches at power.”

“The craving for power is in itself a sign of inferior abilities and unfitness for responsibility.”

“The enemy of every honest man is a religious leader seeking power.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the WTS’s claim that their entire goal is to help people:
    “The power to do things for people is also the power to do things to people – and you can guess for yourself which is likely to be done.”

On the foolishness of being a “progressive organization” by trying to figure out what happened thousands of years ago in order to predict “God’s Will™”:
    “If you go back 150 years you are a reactionary; but if you go back 6,000 years, you are in the foremost ranks of progress.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the quality of writing in WTS publications:
    “The first qualification for a writer on any subject is to be able to write.”

“We have known exactly two people who simply loved writing, enjoyed it, write with fluency and without compulsion. They’ve been at it for twenty years…Their stuff is simply terrible.”

On Fred Franz’s insane prophetic ramblings:
    “The events of a creative writer’s life are imaginative, not material.”

“We don’t enjoy, for any length of time, a book in which it is impossible to be sure what the author means.”

“Practically the whole art of writing consists in getting rid of superfluous words.”

On why the WT writing department in their ivory tower insulated lives dish out so much crap:
    “The great problem with the writer is that if you do anything else you have no time to write and if you don’t you have nothing to write about.”

On 1984, 1925 and 1975:
    “Nothing is worth reporting if it doesn’t cause the subject to deny and repudiate it violently.”

“It is perfectly impossible that any forecast should be correct.”

On dub history:
    “All philosophies are merely graceful exits from the problems they profess to solve.”

On dub doctrine:
    “The natural tendency of the human mind is to get rid of facts, and if obliged to retain a few, to mutilate them beyond recognition.”

On Circuit Overseers:
    “They do as they like, and that would be fine if they’d let other people do the same.”

On the difference between what is actually said at the Kingdom Hall and what is said in the door-to-door work:
    “Nothing is so vitalizing as a few robust prejudices, so long as one knows when to disregard them.”

On Chuck Russell:
    “It is sad to reflect that Russell would have liked to be the sort of person legend makes him.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On all the “eyes only” letters the society sends to elders and other WT leaders:
    “Letter writing is a frequent sign of madness.”

On the hypocrisy of the Governing Body:
    “All the virtues require some one else to practice them upon, which seems to us rather hard on the object.”

On “keeping the congregation clean”:
    “Respectability is a strange thing; the one virtue for which it has no use is the truth.”

On why the GB will eventually be forced to change:
    “We can’t have everything both ways, and not very much one way.”

Good advice on why dubs should jump ship instead of continuing to “hang on,” hoping for things to get better:
    “People do not realize how important it is to have a good time until it is too late.”

On how the society can fail at proclaiming a physical event and then get away with making it an INVISIBLE event:
    “Nothing ever works out but sometimes something else does.”

On dumb WT leaders and dumb dub followers:
    “The mental defects of other people, such as Russell’s, Rutherford’s and Franz’s followers, do not constitute genius on the part of the leader. Multiply one half-wit by six million half-wits, and still the result is not a genius, strange as it may seem. Take anything whatever in any magnitude as you choose, and it will still be whatever it is as a lot more of it, that’s all.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the sad plight of JW youth who try so hard to be “theocratic”:
    “The saddest spectacle imaginable to us is an anxious youth endeavoring to like only what the current GB approves.” (Slightly altered by me.)

On the narrow mindedness of dubs:
    “What we really don’t understand is why more people are not interested in more things.”

On dub life in general:
    “People will believe almost anything that isn’t so.”

On why I will not forgive the WTS leaders:
    “The moral consequences of doing whatever you do is that you will be the sort of person who did that.”

What an ex-dub finds out soon after he leaves the religion:
    “We hardly know what the consequences would be if everybody suddenly realized how many things there are they don’t have to do.”

On why I am no longer a dub:
    “If there were just one gift you could choose, but nothing barred, what would it be? We wish you then your own wish; you name it. Ours is liberty, now and forever.”

Farkel

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I love those quotes, are they printed in any book form, do you mind if I use some of those quotes???

Thanks for Posting!

Venice

• Uncanny
    Uncanny

Farkel,

So many gems there it's hard to pick a favourite.

Maybe 'People do not to realise how important
    it is to have a good time until its too late.'

Makes me recall that classic John Lennon line from one of his softer songs. 'Life is what happens to you when you're
    busy making other plans.'

As for an ageing ex-JW like me, I am trying to make every moment count.

Uncanny

• Francois
    Francois

I've always liked this one about politicians:

Politics is often referred to as the art of the possible. And this is just why it can but attract only second-rate minds. First-rate minds are challenged only by the impossible.

Francoise

• outnfree
    outnfree

I signed on, glanced around, and said to myself, Let's see what Farkel has posted!

And I was not disappointed!
    These are true gems and make me want to visit the library to read Paterson immediately! But as the library is closed, I think I'll just have to re-read what's here!

Thanks for sharing,
    outnfree

• Farkel
    Farkel

VeniceIT,

: I love those quotes, are they printed in any book form, do you mind if I use some of those quotes???

Most of the quotes that I slightly altered dealt with politics and politicians. The one about the half-wits was originally referring to Hitler. I only changed a word or two here and there to show how easily those thoughts also apply to the JW religion. I'm sure Isabel Paterson won't mind if you use her quotes, either. Unfortunately she's dead now. Those quotes are taken from many of her writings and as the professor who cited them said, quotes like that from her would take an entire book just in and of themselves.

Uncanny Autie,

:As for an ageing ex-JW like me, I am trying to make every moment count.

Great for you. It's a shame that some would (and have) make us believe that God wants it any other way.

Outnfree,

:But as the library is closed, I think I'll just have to re-read what's here!

Do a search on the net. There is much material on Paterson, and much more an Ayn Rand and determinism. They were good friends and mutual admirers for years until they finally had a falling out.

Farkel

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Farkel: Thanks for sharing.

Francoise: Brilliant (sounds Einsteinian)

Uncanny: You're only as old as you are :)

unclebruce: High on paint fumes.

• JAVA
    JAVA

"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."
    -- Ayn Rand, "Philosophical Detection," Philosophy: Who Needs It

If we did that as JWs, we wouldn't have been JWs. I have some fundamental differences with some of Ayn Rand's conclusions about modern society and industrialization, however she encouraged individuals to use their brains for empowerment--not a bad concept.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hi Farkel,

>“We don’t enjoy, for any length of time, a book in which it is impossible to be sure what the author means.”
    “Practically the whole art of writing consists in getting rid of superfluous words.”

Even as a loyal Dub, I wondered WHY? Is it me out of synch? Or is it Freddie who is weird?

>On dub doctrine:
    “The natural tendency of the human mind is to get rid of facts, and if obliged to retain a few, to mutilate them beyond recognition.”

I closed my mind to this possibility for too long.

>On Circuit Overseers:
    “They do as they like, and that would be fine if they’d let other people do the same.”

You know the vise I’m in on that subject. Abraham questioned Jehovah, but I have gone way beyond that in disrespecting the CO’s authority.

>Good advice on why dubs should jump ship instead of continuing to “hang on,” hoping for things to get better:
    “People do not realize how important it is to have a good time until it is too late.”

Maybe it’s not TOO late! But jumping without anyone noticing is hard.

I e-mailed you recently and wondered why you hadn’t replied. Now I know why and appreciate the post.

Jst2laws

• Tina
    Tina

Hi farkel!
    Good to see you. Thanks for the interesting post. :>
    Hiyas Java,
    I too admire Rands committment to reason. The big flaw in her philosophy(for me anyway) is that morals/morality can be held to some absolute standard or criteria,because morality is a human construct and varies socially and culturally.
    Regards to all,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit