Brother & Sister-in-Law Return to Kingdom Hall After Two Decades, Quickly Get Stumbled

by TMS 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• TMS
    TMS

It was a mild surprise, learning that a brother and sister-in-law had began re-associating with Jehovah's Witnesses after at least 25 years of being away. The couple, of Hispanic ethnicity, are in their early 60's, with their five children all grown and independent.

The family had been considered nominal JWs, infrequently attending meetings, rarely in field service, but using the annual convention as their family vacation. The children went to college if they wished. All the boys played high school football, one enjoying some notoriety and marrying a cheerleader. The father remained extremely close to his non-JW family, frequently holding large parties over the years with music, dancing, bbq and beer.

Our brother-in-law was not well educated, but extremely hardworking, running a plumbing business for 40 years. He did the plumbing on several local Kingdom Halls for free and did work for various JWs over the years free or well below cost.

At the couple's second or third Kingdom Hall meeting since coming back to the organization, our brother-in-law learned about a special work day at the Kingdom Hall the following Saturday, to mow grass and trim bushes. He showed up on Saturday ready for work, but was informed that those duties could only be performed by approved JWs "in good standing."

We've since learned that our brother-in-law and, and to a lesser extent, our sister-in-law were stumbled by this rejection in not being allowed to even mow the Kingdom Hall lawn.

Hopefully, they will reconsider things and not waste the rest of their lives in such a high control, rule-oriented cult.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Some are not even fit to flush the toilet.

• Ding
    Ding

You have to earn the "privilege" to mow the lawn?

Aren't you glad the WT doesn't go beyond the things written in the Scriptures?

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Then they say they are al equal. Pretty soon they are going to have 2 bathrooms one for upstanding witnesses and one for the inactives

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

What kind of bullshit is that? They should be glad some folks showed up to do the work!, I remember several talks when I just a kid encouraging those at the weekly meeting about showing up when it was your book studys turn to clean the KH, such assholes, but yet they blindly follow !

• Listener
    Listener

That's a funny thing about mowing the lawn. I remember it being a coveted task. All the blokes wanted to do it, rather than washing the windows, gardening, sweeping the carpark etc. I think it was something to do with men and their toys.

• TMS
    TMS

Someone, with a bit of insight, should have recognized the situation: a proud, grown man, humbling himself to make a comeback. Sometimes, "rules" need to be relaxed a bit in favor of empathy and judgement. But, the whole JW thing is based on a myriad of talmud-like rules, some made locally on the fly, by brash, unqualified "elders."

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Holy crap...not even good enough to mow the lawn. It's a good thing, it showed them what this cult is all about before they got knee deep into it again.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I suppose only elders and pioneers can clean the toilets, then?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

They may be fit to put some money in the contribution box, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit