Do you remember this WT calendar art?

by compound complex 30 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Pete Zahut, for your reply.

Her name -- in the back of my brain, but not yet on the tip of my tongue -- doesn't seem to correspond with your suggestion. She was middle-aged when I was there in the early 1970s. Therefore, if still alive, she would be in her late 80s, I'm guessing. Of course, when you're in your twenties, everyone older is ancient!

You may be on to something, however . . .

OH! Sister Mann??? [just popped into my head after submitting]

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Shortly after 1970, around 75,76 Alan BOYLE, a special pioneer from Liverpool Dingle was doing temp art work at Mill Hill and so impressed F Franz with some stuff he did for him he was invited to Brooklyn. Alan was delighted as he was desperate to get into Bethel but was over the then age limit. He did lots of oil paintings for GB meeting room, did one illustration for a magazine of army creeping up dried up Euphrates river bed. He made a scale model so he could determine what you could see from riverbed, over city wall. He always was scathing about quality of calendar artwork. Not sure how he is now, must be going on 90,

He was one of 'anointed' and one year did memorial talk, went on for hours with quotes from Alfred Edersheims works, he could see glimmer of light from window so kept going. In the end someone slid a note onto rostrum, "Get OFF now"

He kept notes on other pioneers and reported to Bethel on their reading habits etc, in those days a PQR personal qualifications report done yearly on pioneers, meeting time attendance 2 or 3 minutes late got a black mark.

His artwork was superb but he took time over it and infuriated Ron Drage with his apparent tardiness, when Ron learnt that as well as usual workload for London he was doing quite a lot of stuff as well for FF he changed his hectoring style and began grovelling to Alan who had a direct line to the very top, well above Drage's level.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi Lostandfound!

Shortly after 1970, around 75,76 Alan BOYLE, a special pioneer from Liverpool Dingle was doing temp art work at Mill Hill and so impressed F Franz with some stuff he did for him he was invited to Brooklyn.

interesting, thanks

I believe he's narrating this....

Oh, and keep watching to the end as during the credits you can see the people, including Allan Boyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRcxz2U7aA

• compound complex
    compound complex

Incredible, Lostandfound!

Well, of course, anointed brothers going overtime is totally believable. Your first-hand information is very much appreciated and testimony to the fact "you had to be there"! A now elderly born-in told me that Watchtower studies used to go on for hours. That had to be quite early on, I figure.

Remembering Brother Knorr, in particular, I have to say that, unless you were at Gilead graduation of 1972, you would never have heard this about the then-developing elder arrangement: 'We're going to try it out here [at Bethel] to see if it works.' -- A paraphrase of what he said, as close as I can recollect.

As the new arrangement unfolded, there were lots of bumps in the road.

THANK YOU!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Speaking of the Elder arrangement CC , I seem to recall that The "Aid To Bible Understanding " was released about that same time yet the subject of Elder was not in it.

It puzzled me a lot back then.

• compound complex
    compound complex

A question of timing, smiddy!

I worked on the AID book, in the factory and, later, indirectly, when working on the 1966 -- 1970 Index, which heavily referenced Aid to Bible Understanding. This was well before NHK's announcement in the spring of '72.

If I find my copy of AtBU, I'll check the actual copyright date. You're right, though -- it was close!

THANKS!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

That is a blast from the past, Coco. I totally forgot about that calendar but I can see it now...hanging on the kitchen wall...

smiddy:...I seem to recall that The "Aid To Bible Understanding " was released about that same time yet the subject of Elder was not in it.
    It puzzled me a lot back then.

The adoption of the term "elder" was puzzling to me. I exited in the pre-elder days. It was so strange to hear my sister say "elder" in the mid to late 70s(?) because I grew up with the mantra that "elder is a term in used by those churches of False Christendom. JWs aren't a part of this world...we don't use "elder" ".

I visited my elderly mother a few years back. She would slip into the 30s and 40s terms of "our bethren" when she was speaking of the "brothers from Bethel".

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, OrphanCrow, for your recollections.

You may recall that there was an elder arrangement in Russell's time. I believe one "bought" the privilege. Or was voted in. Ancient history! So, the abandonment of that flawed arrangement (probably by Rutherford's time) was likely tinged with the smacking of Christendom, as you referred to. Yes, elder was unfavorably connoted.

When it was "tried" out in Bethel and environs, I heard all kinds of horror stories of fighting among the brothers -- but wasn't it Jehovah's arrangement?!?!?!?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I remember all those. Does anyone remember the JW bible that had dinosaurs drawn in the map?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, scratchme1010, we do remember the dinosaur -- in the green NWT!

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit