Do you remember this WT calendar art?

by compound complex 30 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

These are of early '70s vintage, I recall. My job was to sort through thousands of these and be sure they were not "off register."

• compound complex
    compound complex

Escape from Jerusalem [this is definitely off-register -- I'm no photographer]:

• compound complex
    compound complex

It was "speculated" that the beautiful lady descending into the water is Damaris, the man plunged, Dionysis, the plunger, Paul the Apostle. A very talented Bethel sister, whose name I don't remember, was the artist.

Now that I think about it, didn't Paul write that he did no baptizing at all?

THOUGHTS???

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

The OP is December 1970 - for sale, on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/172308909597

hurray, ends in seven hours....

• sparky1
    sparky1

"For Christ sent me, not to baptize, but to declare the good news;..." 1 Corinthians 1:17 New World Translation Revised. You may be right, CC.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi compound complex!

Now that I think about it, didn't Paul write that he did no baptizing at all?

Watchtower 15 August 1968, pages 511 to 512

Questions From Readers: Why did the apostle Paul say, as recorded at 1 Corinthians 1:17, that Christ dispatched him “not to go baptizing”? He did baptize believers, did he not?

link to scan

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

The first picture of baptism from the 1970 calendar is painted in a HUGE format in a wall at the side of the platform of Chile's Betel Assembly Hall... I looked at it all my childhood....

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, darksilver, sparky1, and Mandrake:

My, you are helpful with both pertinent info and personal anecdotes! I really appreciate your replies. The original oil paintings hung on walls of Brooklyn Bethel.

Best wishes.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It was "speculated" that the beautiful lady descending into the water is Damaris, the man plunged, Dionysis, the plunger, Paul the Apostle. A very talented Bethel sister, whose name I don't remember, was the artist.

Was the artist/sister named Melissa Bellows? She and her artist husband Bill are still there as far as I know.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

haha!

always reminds me of the murals they have in the City of Pawnee's Town Hall... in more ways than one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJLEEvfMnA

Yes, I know - it's not really Pawnee's Town Hall in Indiana , it's actually Pasadena's Town Hall in California!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit