Remind re: The "Cult" Label

by Simon 43 Replies latest forum announcements

• TD
    TD

It doesn't really matter what the belief is.

If it's coming from a place of emotion rather than reason, there are going to be similarities to the JW's.

This is a human thing that all of us are susceptible to because we're all human,

• LoveNinja
    LoveNinja

I thought this site had active JW members. I'm confused; is it all apostate?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Some of us are active but recognize flaws in the teaching and, administration. Even some elders in addition to us hangers on for family reasons

• LoveNinja
    LoveNinja

I appreciate your honest reply roadtonowhere.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Not all cults are religious.

Yes agree. Not only that but telling someone that he/she is displaying cult-like behavior is NOT an insult if it can be substantiated with facts. Likewise if someone "smells" that also can be substantiated with facts.

It is FACTS that should be the driving factor, not the idea that if someone is insulted that has to mean that whatever was said is not appropriate.

When you tell a JW that he/she is displaying cult-like behavior that person could just claim it's wrong because it hurts his feelings to. So what, if in fact that is the truth?

It is undeniably true that you can display cult-like behavior when it comes to politics, and to that extent, it is also undeniably true that there can be a parallel to other cult-like behaviors like JWs.

• Toppa
    Toppa

Cult definition: misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"
    Luckily, there have been no examples of this in the US for the last 4 years.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Must protect the reputation of the JWs. - Cult thinking

Must censor conflicting beliefs = apostasy

You will be disfellowshipped for expressing contrary beliefs.

The reality is there is a Trump cult. So many here apparently have been sucked in again by another cult. Their ego prevents them from dealing with the cognitive dissonance

Good bye all ..I guess I will be disfellowshipped from the site now after 20 years.

simon.. so sad what you have become. Remember the you from 20 years ago versus your current personna.

#Sad

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I think that cult behavior is seen more on a spectrum rather than all-in or all-out. A book which changed my thinking on it was one by Arthur Deikman, 'The Wrong Way Home; Uncovering the Patterns of Cult Behavior in American Society'. (1990) He doesn't mention JW's at all, and most of his case studies are non-religious, but it is a an eye opening book.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    The reality is there is a Trump cult. So many here apparently have been sucked in again by another cult. Their ego prevents them from dealing with the cognitive dissonance
    Good bye all ..I guess I will be disfellowshipped from the site now after 20 years.
    simon.. so sad what you have become. Remember the you from 20 years ago versus your current personna.

The reason this is a losing argument, Uzzah, is because all the same things can be said about the anti-Trump crowd.

It’s better for conversation to just move past the ad hominem attacks. If you can’t win on the merits of your position on the issues and have to resort to labeling your opposition as a “cult”, maybe you either have an indefensible position or you don’t have the facts or intellectual skills to make a real argument.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It would improve the character of this forum if all forms of "insulting" and "lazy" name calling would be discouraged. Isn't that so Simon?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit