A major misadventure!

by Bungi Bill 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Hi, everyone.

I haven't posted here much in quite a while, but having just been laid low by injury, I'll likely be a frequent visitor for some time to come!

Two weeks ago, I was involved in a workplace accident that left me with my lower L.H. leg fractured in three places (the tibia and fibular both broken clean through, plus another crack in the "neck" of the fibular for good measure!) I came away from the orthopaedic ward with a steel rod driven down through the centre of the tibia bone, and a series of steel pins driven through the bone at each end.

The surgeons tell me that it will be three months before I am able to place my full weight on the leg, and up to six months before I can walk again on it comfortably.

So I guess I am going to be "hors de combat" for quite some time - with little to do but chat on social media!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Ouch!

Will you be in the hospital then for the next 3 months? Bed pans and everything?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Sorry to hear about your situation BB. Was wondering...does your injury have any connection with your forum name..."Bunji"?

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Sorry to hear that. My husband had a workplace injury that ended up with metal rods holding together three vertebrae in his lower back.

Yep, longtime ouchies. We had to take him off of the pain meds because when TV and social media got boring, there was always something so very necessary to order off of Amazon. I came home from work every other day tripping over those damn Amazon boxes with stuff in them that we did not need, and that he often forgot about all together. He got dialed down to ibuprofen real quick.

Fortunately the rods were titanium so he can get an MRI without getting sucked to the machine, and he doesn't have to get naked at airport security.

I just hope that your workplace is fulfilling their responsibilities for your workplace accident. My husband's is, often kicking and screaming, but everything gets approved after two or three calls to the lawyers, who then call the workplace and tell them that, yes, they legally have to cover this...even for things like medication that he's been on for years.

Anywho, not wishing you any of those problems. I hope you enjoy your downtime and look forward to hearing more from you on the forum.

• zeb
    zeb

So how did the other feller end up? Cheers and with injuries as described you are damn lucky to be still with us. Eat lots veggies, fruit, and bran type breakfast to keep things moving. Be kind to yourself and your loved ones stay in touch with us as we fight our daily battle here. Time to do a lot of quality reading eh?

• millie210
    millie210

Good to have you back (sorry about the reason).

It will be good to read your posts!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

At my next hospital appointment, which is scheduled for next Tuesday, they will be fitting me out with a fibreglass cast of the type commonly referred to as a "moonboot". After that, I ought to be able to venture a bit further outside the house (to say nothing of being able to take a proper shower!).

Fortunately, the pain has been controllable with nothing more than paracetamol and asprin. (Except immediately after the injury occurred - when the paramedics administered a double-shot of morphine before the rescue operation commenced!) I have been also given a supply of something more potent, a type of synthetic codiene. However, that stuff plays havoc with ones intestinal tract, so I try to avoid having to use those tablets!

My employer has been wonderfully supportive, to the extent of this morning sending one of the junior staff around to mow my lawns. A full accident investigation has been initiated, both internally (as per company requirements), and externally (as per statutory requirements).

I had managed to last 62 years without ever breaking a bone, despite having played rugby football, crashed motorbikes and been thrown from horses. Just goes to show that - like most cliches - the one about there "Always Being a First TimeFor Everything" is quite true!

• Perry
    Perry

Oh dear! Well, looking forward to your contributions here.

Maybe time to watch Bob Ross episodes on Netflix and do those paintings many always wanted to do?

Speedy healing!

• waton
    waton

feel with you, hope the finances will be taken care of, stay off the codeine, can do more than digestive trouble, for me it is breathing. enjoy the free time!!!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My heart goes out to you. Broken bones are the pits. Take care of yourself, and find an outlet that doesn't get you navel gazing or trying to fix the world. That is crazy making (says the crazy lady:) ) If you can do something productive with your time off your feet, I really encourage you to do it, whether its a memoir or finding work you can do from your computer. Idleness is really a mental danger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit