Why dont practicing JWS cant accept the fact that the Watchtower Corporation is a commercialized false prophet ?

by Finkelstein 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The number 1 cost of any organization is its personnel/employees. With volunteers running printing presses and food being grown on "The Farm" the overhead was extremely low.

As a kid I remember going to the magazine counter at the Kingdom Hall and paying $0.25 per magazine. That $0.25 went directly to the Watchtower. When I sold that magazine to a householder for $0.25 I would give that money to the Watchtower as well. So now the Watchtower was getting $0.50 per magazine. This was at the same time I was paying $0.50 for a Spider-Man comic book at my local gas station. The gas station and Marvel Comics made a profit off the sale of that comic book. I promise you the employees of the gas station and Marvel Comics are not a volunteer labor force.

Here is a bit of truth I recently learned - the human brain is wired to believe anything that is beneficial to it. Living forever in perfect health in a paradise sure sounds beneficial. People can't handle life and the can't handle the idea of dying either. Humans are the only known organism on Earth that is conscious that one day they will die.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

The items the WTS published and produced had a commercial agenda attached to them toward the cultivation of money, it wasn't just about important vital information.

Some people will deny that, I particularly dont

In hindsight that information was false apostate teachings which according to bible scripture should never been taught.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

In the overall grand scheme of things these men assumed well if they are wrong they say well we are imperfect too, but in the mean time will take that cultivated power and money and use it to are own will and purpose, it will be are own personal earthly Kingdom, you must be subjective to us irregardless

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I remember a story of a householder who did have a quarter. Instead of donating the magazine the publisher had to let it go and send the person to destruction.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

truth_b_known, you are right in saying that the WT was getting paid twice for the literature that ended up being distributed in the field ministry (though not in the case of JWs obtaining the literature for their personal use, unless the JWs made an additional contribution to the WT, such as by putting it in the contribution box). I disliked the idea of having the pay twice for the literature distributed in field service. I thought why should I have to pay my own money for the literature since I will be forwarding the money from the householder to the WT. Later when the Kingdom Halls stopped collecting money from the counters, I stopped contributing my own money for the literature I distributed in field service, though I still forwarded the money from the householders to the WT. You also make a good point with your comparison of the pricing with that of for-profit sales of comic magazines.

You are also right about the tendency of the human brain and I realize that I have that tendency also and that I need to resist it. Interestingly, earlier today I was telling strangers (on public transportation) that people, all of us, have a tendency to believe information we strongly want to believe. In the same conversation I also mentioned that it is hard to stay alive. There are so many things we need to know and do to stay alive. [For example, loosing our job and housing, poor eating and drinking habits, not having regular medical check ups, associating with certain kinds of people, and how we react to potentially violent people, all effect how long we will live.]

Rocketman123, you made a good point when you said "The American Constitution availed men to openly and freely propagate their religious expressions without government regulatory control." In the back of the WT publications where a price was mentioned for the literature, it did not say "Suggested contribution amount" or similar wording, instead it just said the price (and other times said such was the cost to obtain the literature) and in so doing it gave the impression that one had to pay that price in order to obtain the literature. Because of the laws at the time, the WT could get away with that practice, including being dishonest about the matter. That practice of the WT combined with the laws (which you wrote about) is now causing me to think that maybe you are right in saying that the WT was literally selling literature. If you are right on that matter, it would mean the WT was dishonest and at times even lying about the matter, and that I was one of the victims of such dishonesty and even outright lying. That is an idea I don't want to accept, due in large part to the unpleasantness about it, but perhaps I should accept that idea. The state of California certainly thought they had a right to charge state sales tax for those kinds of transactions and they won a court case (federal supreme court or state supreme court?) in the matter. That implies that both the court and the state of California thought that literature was being literally sold. Perhaps they were right to think that.

It is interesting how the issue of potentially being charged sales tax and the WT's desire to avoid such tax by not asking for money (especially in specific amounts) specifically for literature distributed, is a major factor in the huge financial problems the WT is now experiencing. Further such financial problems may become a huge factor in a future huge decline in operations of the WT and in the number of JWs.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Thanks for the info DJW

• vienne
    vienne

It's a very small religion that does not have a publishing arm. That the Watchtower publishes more, and often better written, material than many others would not dissuade a committed adherent. Uncle B, the surviving author of the Separate Identity series, pointed me to the concept of Triumphalism. We were discussing the lack of rational refutation in the Russell era. But the thought applies to Watchtower belief as well. Douglas Hall, in The Cross in Our Context: Jesus and the Suffering World (2003), wrote:

"The tendency in all strongly held world views, whether religious or secular, to present themselves as full and complete accounts of reality, leaving little if any room for debate or difference of opinion and expecting of their adherents unflinching belief and loyalty. Such a tendency is triumphalistic in the sense that it triumphs - at least in its own self-estimate - over all ignorance, uncertainty, doubt, and incompleteness, as well, of course, as every other point of view." - page 15.

This is the issue with Witness adherents as well as their conservative Protestant opponents. If you see your belief system as fixed and inerrant, you will avoid debate as unnecessary. You will pity those on the outside. But you will not question your faith.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's a tribe to belong to. If you like that tribe or are in it for a compelling reason, then you might easily switch off that which may oppose it.

As humans, we tend to love our echo chambers and tribes. We love to be on what we think is the winning side. Thus, we allow the propaganda and brainwashing to only favour our tribe.

A bit like people stick to political parties, perhaps? We know they're all run by filth that are all about do as I say, not as I do, but still, people followed Matt Hancock's rules thinking he knew best. Meanwhile, back in the broom cupboard...............

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I have to make a slight correction/refinement to what I said in my prior post. It is in regard to the following comment. 'In the back of the WT publications where a price was mentioned for the literature, it did not say "Suggested contribution amount" or similar wording, instead it just said the price (and other times said such was the cost to obtain the literature) and in so doing it gave the impression that one had to pay that price in order to obtain the literature.'

This morning I discovered that two WT books I own use the phrase "a contribution" in reference to the prices of books advertised in the back of the two books.

The book called "Let your Kingdom Come" (Copyright 1981) in the ad for the 1981 edition of the NWT says the following. "You may request your copy of the latest edition of this valuable Bible, sending a contribution of $3.00 (U.S.) toward the printing cost to the appropriate address on page 192. (Price subject to change)". On the next page in the back of the book, four 192-page books are advertised. Regarding those the following is said. "Any one of the above books is available for a contribution of 75c (U.S.). All four for just $3.00 (U.S.). (Prices subject to change)".

The book called True Peace and Security--How Can You Find It? (Copyright 1986) in the ad for the Life--How did it get here? By evolution or by creation? book and in the ad for the You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth book each say the following. "Available for a contribution of $2.50 (U.S.). (Amount subject to change.)"

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

The roots and the beginning of the JWS is an interesting one.

It really just started by a guy named C T Russell who was more of salesman of religious literature and developed an organization that was set about to distribute that literature.(IBSA)

Over the years the organization grew and expanded all over the world and with that growth more self empowerment developed toward the top orchestraters namely J Rutherford.

A highly controlling religious cult began to evolve , literature distribution was the core operation, with training sessions at Kingdom Halls and large public assemblies etc.

The studied were devised and molded to be the new public distributors and trainers themselves,

The strategy to assist those distribution endeavors were the set doctrines such as 1914 1925 , 1975 and so on.

Established behaviors and social directions were created to make the organization and each individual appear righteous in the eyes of god, though many left the organization accepting that many of the doctrines were really unrighteous or unchristian like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit