Russell's aleged freemasonry on JWfacts.com

by NikL 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

reslight2. The correct way to quote is to copy the relevant comment, paste it, in the reply and then, with the cursor on the paragraph, press the quote symbol on the toolbar (3rd from left).

It will be much easier to follow which are your comments and what you are replying to if you do that.

Also, don't include the posters name, just the comment - it should really be about what is said, not who said it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It should be obvious that Pyramidology has a coinciding similarity to Freemason theology and its adherence to the Great Pyramid and their identity as being theoretical stonemason builders.

Both are really ignorant concepts for the Egyptian Pyramids including the great Pyramid of Gizah were built exclusively for another purpose and theology which was uniquely Egyptian in nature.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I have no reason at all to think Russell lied when he stated: "I have never been a Mason." (Sermon: The Temple of God)

I'm glad someone finally located this quote, as I had remembered reading it before. WT bibliophiles are sometimes only aware of what was published by the WT society officially, and are not much interested in other books which were produced individually by different Bible Students. A couple of really interesting ones were 'What Pastor Russell Said' and 'Pastor Russell's Sermons'. In one of those books I remember reading the Pastor Russell stated he was not a Mason. Whether those books are still being reprinted or not I do not know.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

He once stated that he too was a Freemason in a metaphorical sense, in that he was free and separate from Christendom's doctrines (Catholicism) in his teaching and preaching work.

One thing to note is that the JWS religion was framed and built up and based from Pyramidology, the second advent or dispositional era theology , Christ's return and the seating upon his heavenly throne in 1914, therefore the starting of the end times.... etc

Rutherford didn't want to hold onto Pyramidology when he took over the WTS. but he did see the fruitfulness of proclaiming Christ's return, the beginning of the end times, the Great Tribulation and Armageddon to follow accordingly.

Jehovah having chosen him and the IBSA in 1919 because of his truthful and honest bible interpretations and the preaching of the Gospel as self recognized anointed ones. Not to mention the advantageous of using these proclamations or established doctrines toward the proliferation of literature he published for public consumption.

• reslight2
    reslight2

vienne

Pyramidology did not come from Masonic belief but from two British writers. The one most influential on Russell was Charles Piazzi Smyth. Russell circulated for a brief while a pyramidology book by J. A. Seiss, an American Lutheran pastor. There is nothing in Russell's theology that parallels Masonic belief or practice.

I am a Bible Student; I am not affiliated with the JWs, but I have been studying the writings of Bible Students for more than 50 years, including that of Russell. I am hoping to make a few statements regarding some of the things posted.

Yes, Russell's study of God's Witness in Egypt has nothing at all to do with the Masons. In my discussions with some of the Masons, none of them I have conversed with has any knowledge of God's Witness in Egypt. Indeed, although there might be a some Masons who are Christians who may have taken some interest in the study of God's Witness in Egypt, it does not appear to something generally studied among the Masons. Furthermore, since not all Masons profess to be Christian, it could not be applied universally to the Masons. Nor have a found such an general interest in the study of God's Witness in Egypt among the Knight Templar, although, again, various individual members of Knights Templar may have some interest in such a study. If, however, a Mason were to take a serious interrest in Russell's study of God's Witness in Egypt, it would lead one to the conclusion that being a member of the Masons is actually vanity.

Most of what Russell presented about God's Witness in Egypt came from Nelson Barbour.

Russell never used the word "pyramidology", and as best as I can tell neither did Nelson Barbour. I believe Piazzi Smyth used that word once or twice. The word simply means "pyramid study" or "study of pyramids". As the word was originally used, it did not mean what it is often attributed to that word today: spiritism, pyramid power, etc. Russell did not believe in "pyramid power", spiritism, astrology, etc.

Much of my research related to Russell and the Freemasons may be found at:

http://rlctr.blogspot.com/2016/12/freemasons.html

• reslight2
    reslight2

When I posted my last post, I was thinking I had not posted to this thread before. I see now that I have.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that can be confirmed is that both Russell and Rutherford did use Freemason Halls as venues to give public talks and perhaps later to sell literature.

What impressionable influences was made by the Freemason theologian by Russell is speculative based more on coincidence of similarity.

There is also no question to the measure of the masonry construction of the Pyramids within the Freemason ideology having some relevance .

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I find it interesting that masonic halls had been used quite regularly in early times. Even the fact that our place of worship is referred to as a Kingdom 'Hall'.

I also find it interesting how Jesus is down played in the society s literature, even though the scriptures says he is the way, the truth and the life.

That YHWH is referred to as the likely more inaccurate term JEHOVAH.

Freemasons use masonic halls, use the term JEHOVAH and downplay Jesus Christ. Interesting similarities.

https://www.jashow.org/articles/masonry/masonic-lodge/what-does-the-masonic-lodge-teach-its-members-about-jesus/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit