did you talk to the elders?

by Moxy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

You asked a good question. I think that by "talking" to an elder, it probably helps so many to see how much the elders will follow the doo-doo the WBTS prints, rather than the bible. I was one who did try to talk to an elder. I didn't even knowI was on my way out completely, till after I talked to an elder. the talk I had, and his "advise" made me realize that I was in a cult, that had nothing at all to do with Jesus or God at all. It was all about the men who make up the "society" and that was that.

Here is what lead up to my going to talk to an elder....

My feelings of guilt for the way I treated disfellowshipped people in the congregation started when I was about 16 years old. At a meeting one night, a sister that I used to go door-to-door with was sitting a couple of rows in front of me. She was sitting diagonally ( sp?) in front of me, and she was right beside her mother. I'll call her Amy. She was about 23 years old, or around that age. During the meeting, I noticed that she was crying silently. Not making any noise, but I could see her crying and she kept wiping the tears away that were strolling down her face. Finally, it was announced that she was disfellowshipped. She began to cry harder and her whole body was heaving to try to stifle her crying. Her mother would not turn around and look at her, or even put her arm around her or anything. She got no comfort at all. A lump began to form in my throat and I felt like I was going to cry too, just watching her pain. I've been told that when you are going to be df'd, you know about it ahead of time, so I don't know why she even attended the meeting. She was a very nice person, but she had some problems. Her family was very poor. She and her mom and other siblings lived in what was called "the projects" in the neighborhood. Nobody wanted to be paired with her out in service. i got "put" with her all the time, because people knew I wouldn't complain or say anything about it. That's how I got to know her and knew she had some problems. She always needed encouragement, which I really didn't know how to give her, because I was younger than her and couldn't find the right words to say, except for, "Don't worry. Everything will work itself out in time." She needed to talk to someone older for the right advice. She was having "guy problems", I guess you'd call it. Anyway...the meeting ended and I just stood with the crowd of us talking. I wasn't paying attention to what anyone was saying. I was watching Amy. She sat for awhile just crying, while her mother was talking to someone. Everybody was avoiding her, as the "social" thing that goes on after meetings which is supposedly "christian" fellowship went on. Of course, Amy was simply ignored by all of us "christians". Not one of us, including myself, went over to comfort her in any way at all. Even seeing her sitting there completely falling apart. As we were instructed to by the society,using the scripture 2 John 10, we were not even saying a greeting to her. I thought nobody was really paying attention to her but I was wrong. As soon as she stood up, a path was made for her to walk to the back of the hall and out the door. I watched people move before she even got to them, so I knew people were watching here out of the corner of their eyes. She left and that was that. she attended meetings regularly, but none of us could ask her how she doing, or if she needed any help, or just needed someone to talk to. I did talk to her briefly once, but I heard about it from a "brother" ( how I despise that word! ) after that. All the while, scriptures about Jesus telling us to forgive others for their sins, even if one sins 5 times in one day, kept going through my mind. When the RARE talks about Jesus were given, and talked about forgiveness of each others sins, I would cringe. and think to myself, "that isn't something we Jehovah's witnesses do."

Anyway....about 2 years went by. My step-mom was a smoker and was one the ones who were given 6 months to quit when the WBTS decided that they were going to add smoking to their lists of what sins were. She quit. Time went by and she fell off the wagon and caved into her addiction and started smoking again. She was disfellowshipped. I don't recall it being announced, so I either did not attend that meeting, or just blocked it out of my memory. Anyway, a short time later, at a meeting, I went into the ladies room. I was in the stall, when I heard two "sisters" ( I despise that word too! ) begin to talk about my mom, and trying to compare notes on what they had heard as to the reason she was disfellowshipped. What sin she had committed. I learned that it was going around that she cheated on my dad. I didn't want to come out of the stall. I was feeling so much anger that I began to fight tears that were welling up. I wanted to tell them off SO bad, but I didn't. I opened the door to the stall and walked out. The silence was deafening when the two "sisters" saw that it was me who was in the stall. They realized that I had heard everything they had said. I washed my hands and slammed the door on my way out of the ladies room. I went upstairs, grabbed my books and keys and left. There were other things going on in my life at that time that I couldn't cope with, and I decided to get away from everything, and everyone. I was 18 at the time, I moved to another state to live with my grandmother. I stayed there for about 8 months to try and make sense of my thoughts and to get them together. I had never told anyone the conversation that I had overheard about my mom. The whole disfellowshipping thing bothered me so much. I could see that it was an evil practice, like so many other practices in the Bible BEFORE God gave his Son's life for us. And it wasn't how Jesus told us to treat fellow sinners, once he was resurrected and given all authority over us. It ate and ate at me, and there was nowhere to dump it. I felt like I couldn't talk to anyone about it. When I returned from living with my grandmother for 8 months, I met with a friend ( zev ) from the hall again. (I hadn't been to any meetings since I returned, which had been about 6-8 weeks) I figured I would try to tell him what I was feeling. I couldn't find the right words , nor did I know how to bring the subject up. The time came that he said something about the hall, and instead of just calmly saying what I had to say, I just blurted out, "I'm NEVER going back there again!". I thought he would say, " Why not?", but he didn't. He was completely silent. Just blurting that out must have threw him, and he probably didn't know what to say. So...I knew I would have to go talk to an elder. I still needed to get everything I was feeling about disfellowshipping off my chest.

within a few weeks of my attempt to talk to my friend but to no avail, I called the kingdom hall one sunday after I knew the meeting was over. I said who I was and just asked if could set up an appointment to just talk to an elder about something that was bothering me. I asked if i could talk to a certain elder, because I felt comfortable with him, and nobody else. He was a very soft spoken older man. He was the one who asked me my baptismal test questions and I liked him. The day came to talk to him. I went to the hall. as far as I know, no other elders where in the hall. I thought I heard voices once or twice, but that could have been coming from outside. It was summer and the windows were open. When I got in, the elder greeted me and told me to have a seat. I guess he could tell that I was very nervous, because he told me not to be afraid to tell him anything. Then he proceeded to say this, " Whatever you have done, don't be afraid to tell me. We have had brothers and sisters here in the congregation confess to incest, and wife-swapping. So please just relax and don't be afraid." I was shocked, and it was then that I realized that he thought I was there to confess to sinning. He must have thought I had something juicy to confess too. Boy, was he in for a disappointment. :-) so I told him I wasn't there to confess to a sin. I told him that I could not see how disfellowshipping was biblical. I had a list of scriptures with me that were all how Jesus said we are all sinners and how he said we should treat each other. I had scriptures that told how we should forgive each other for our sins, and how older men/elders were supposed to help people who confess to sins. And that we were to confess our sins to God. As far as I knew, there is no scripture that says it's COMMANDED that we HAVE to confess our sins to elders, or anyone else. We can confess to people, elders or even close friends, along with God if we feel the need to. I also had scriptures that say that Jesus will be the judge of all of us, and that we can't read each others hearts. So nobody has the right to judge if one is repentent or not. He didn't let me get out 2 sentences once I started. I never got to discuss the bible, or scriptures or anything else. He took out the big blue book ( the aide to bible scriptures or something like that) and started flipping through it once he saw that I had scriptures writtne down. He right away stated the scripture in 2John about not even saying a greeting to a disfellwhipped person. I got the chance to say that that scripture was referring to the antichrist and that "this teaching" was referring to the teaching that Jesus was resurrected in the flesh after he was put to death anyway. I wanted to ask him how he relates that to disfellowshipped people. Did he view anyone disfellwshipped as the antichrist and a deciever, instead of a fellow sinner? Where does the Bible say to ignore fellow sinners for however long the elders tell you to before we have the OK from elders to show forgivenss to our fellow sinners? He ignored what I said about the 2John scripture and then he started to counsel me for independent thinking and said that I shouldn't be reading my bible alone. I could see that he wasn't going to let me talk at all, or show him why I thought the way I did. He never opened his bible, only the aid book published by the WBTS. As soon as he siad that if I spoke to a disfellwshipped person, it would made me a sharer of the person's "wicked deeds" and I would be disfellwshipped too, I thanked him and said that I had to leave. On the drive home I just couldn't get over what he said. What he was saying is that if I spoke to a df'd person, that I shared in that person's sin. Funny how I wouldn't know what sin the df'd person got df'd for, but yet I'd be found unrepentent of being a sharer of it! It made me see that everything was done by what the WBTS says. NOT by what the Bible says. I never went back to the hall, or attended another meeting since. That was 21 years ago. I found I could not live, nor try and worship God in a hypocritical and fake atmosphere like that. While we read in watchtowers how loving we were, we weren't allowed to show love at all except under conditions instucted by the "society". While we read how happy we were, I feel that I wasn't. I'm glad I went to talk to an elder that day. It opened my eyes to a lot. It still didn't ease the guilt of leaving right away though. that came a few years later, after I had children and was debating weather to go back again, or not. I began to think that hey, the elders are older and know more. My stomach would turn at the thought of it, but I wanted to do the right thing for my children. In the end, I decided on NOT going back after a strange dream I had. And that is when all the guilt of leaving disappeared. But that's another story. :-) No elders ever tried to contact me and as far as i know, I was never disfellwshipped or da'd. I just simply disappeared from the whole ugly scene.

I can see I got carried away here, Moxy. But it just thought I'd share my one experience of talking, or should I say "trying", to talk to an elder. Looking back, I wish I had gone to the police with what he said about the incest going on. Maybe the authorities would have done nothing, with no names. Maybe they could have got a search warrant to view the files at the KH though. I don't know. But I wish I would have said something.

peace,
    somebody

• Francois2
    Francois2

You needed to tell your story, and to vent. And you did a great job of it. I admire what you did 'cause you did the right thing.

The Borg is no place for thinking people of compassion.

I have a friend who was a dedicated JW MS. He and his wife served as missionaries in Guatemala. But they came back to the states when he began to loose his vision due to diabetes. He left the Borg just a few months before he lost his vision. As it was fading away, he could see the flickering of candles if the room was darkened. The spies sent by the Borg reported that my friend was "worshipping candles" and probably Satan in the bargin.

God bless a milk cow, but those people are are dumber than a box of rocks.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes when I read stories like this or Venice's, I wish that I had a story to tell too.

Maybe someday I'll post something but they are mostly skimishes nothing heavy like this.

Sometimes I would love to just scream, rant and rave at the elders but somehow I always seem to avoid doing it.

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• Liberated
    Liberated

Thanks Somebody, I read every word.

After several months of not attending meetings, the elders called on me. My grandmother had just passed away and I thanked them for coming to see me. When they started asking about my meeting attendance, I told them I thought they were there because of my grandmother's death. But, no, they hadn't even known that.
    I was able to discuss a few things with them; I told them I didn't agree with everything the wts teaches and when they asked what those things were, I asked them if there was anything I could disagree with and still remain a member. I had to ask it twice because they just looked at me with jaws hanging. I guess no one had asked them that before. The PO finally said that I would have to answer that myself, so I told him my answer would be no. He indicated that as long as I didn't talk about my disagreements with others, nothing would be done to me.
    I did get to ask them the question that was heavy on my mind and heart was, and that contributed greatly to my leaving:
    Who in 1914 knew that Jesus returned in that year?
    The answer of course is, no one. They were actually teaching that he had already returned 1874. The PO admitted it. It was a number of years before the teaching about the master returning in 1914 came about.
    I finally had to disassociate because so many people were coming by and calling to find out why I wasn't at the meetings; I felt I should tell them something. This resulted in the PO calling to talk about what I was saying to others; I didn't keep our meeting. Instead I sent the following letter of disassociation:
    -------------------------------------
    Dear Dave,
    This letter, I pray, will help to explain my absence from activity for the WTBTS and to request that my name be dropped from membership in the Rolling Oaks congregation of Jehovah‘s Witnesses. There are teachings that I do not agree with and cannot reconcile with our Father’s word, which teachings I would be required to believe and teach were I to remain a member of the WTBTS. Knowing that disassociation brings the same censor as disfellowshiping, I view these restrictions as binding only on members of the Society and not on me.
    While it is my desire to discontinue activity for the WTBTS, I do not view this as a discontinuance of my association with people I know and love. How they choose to react to me is up to them. Nor is this a discontinuance of belief in and obedience to Jehovah God and his Son Christ Jesus, our Lord and redeemer. Far from it! My love for God our Father and our savior Jesus brings me to this decision in my life.
    Is there any teaching of the Society that I could disagree with and still remain? I believe the answer to that is “No”; therefore, I will not go into the difference of view that has arisen as to the teaching of our Father‘s word.
    I pray that peace will be yours and that Jehovah will keep watch over you and your loved ones.
    Sincerely yours,
    -----------------------------------------------

He came by when I was gone and left some notes and a wt article for me, which I read and responded to.
    My disassociated was announced a couple months ago.

Libby
    if the liberated class

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

...this is my first post, so please be gentle!! *grin*

Moxy,

Thank you for opening such a thought-provoking thread!!

Somebody,

Thank you for sharing your painful experience!! All I can say is "AMEN"!!! The procedure of Disfellowshipping has bothered me for YEARS (I was baptised in 1975 at the age of 13, WAYYYYY too young to make that decision, but that is ANOTHER topic)... my aunt fought with smoking for over 20 years... and was only recently reinstated!! I wonder how much SOONER she might have quit with the love and support of her friends and family, instead of being cast off and ostracized like a leper!! SUCH a load of crap!!! *blood pressure rising now* ...I'm still attending off and on, but my days are numbered, I can feel it!! I applaud your wise decision to leave, and I hope I can do the same soon!!

Thank you all for such a wonderful, supporting, loving, caring Forum... where the TRUTH at LAST can be SPOKEN!!! ...I have soooooo many posts to make, and soooooo little time!!! ;-)

Take care, and have a wonderful evening!!!

• Prisca
    Prisca

I had a couple of "shepherding visits" aka we-wanna-know-whatcha-been-up-to visits, where I tested them out on some minor issues. Their lame explanations and lack of really understanding the problem(s) I was presenting helped me to realise there was no point to try them with the heavier stuff.

So in a way, it helped me as I was on the way out, as it showed me if I had presented them with the heavier stuff (ie my "apostate" ideas) then I would have been putting my head on the chopping block.

As far as I'm concerned they are as useful as a wet towel. I'm not knocking all elders, but it does help to realise God's Spirit isn't acting behind them, otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed!

• outnfree
    outnfree

I talked to the elders, Moxy.

I had handed in my DA letter, the entire body met first, and then 3 stayed to meet with me. After some discussion, where I tiptoed around my "issues", they asked me to "withdraw" my request for a period of a month, during which time (since I still professed to believe much of what the Society taught) I should -- SO PREDICTABLY! -- prepare for and attend meetings, pray, and engage in personal Bible study. They didn't seem to have "heard" that it was personal Bible study that made me distressed about things in the first place (disfellowshipping a la Somebody's story above, for instance). They didn't suggest field service, since I had already told them that because of the "generation" change (and personal Bible study!) I no longer felt that the Society was THE "Spiritual Ark" and thus no longer felt the need or desire to invite people to get inside.
    They gave me a current magazine to study about "Doubts." As a well-trained, theocratic JayDub, I actually agreed to withdraw my letter.
    (Talk about conditioning!!!!)

Anyway, the short of it is that I studied the requested article, which suggested: Prayer, personal study, meeting attendance and field service (SURPRISE!) as means to combat Scriptural doubts. Of course, that was NOT my problem, it was the matters-where-the-Bible-is-silent and the WTBTS pronounced that I was having problems with. So I attended Sunday's WT study and met with two of the elders thereafter to inform them of something, but also to ask questions that were raised for me DURING the WT study just concluded.

The manner in which they answered, and their reaction to my reaction to the article they had asked me to study, clearly demonstrated to me that they were not really interested in anything I had to say and that they would be protecting the WTBTS' interests no matter what. Upon reflection, I phoned the P.O. that evening and requested that my DA letter stand as written. That after reviewing the information on apostasy that he had recommended (for clarification) my reaction was that the first century congregation would have LET ME GO! My gut feeling was that what the elders were attempting to do was to set me up as "unrepentant" so that they could DF me after the month was up (unless, of course, I towed the line), which would look better for the Society than Sister Always-Prepared deciding to disassociate.

Next Thursday, I walked. A BIG weight off my shoulders! And freedom to love the people I love (if they'll only let me!) and to [i]joyfully[i] worship a God of love!

outnfree

• zev
    zev

yes, i talked to the elders.
    this is my experience. i married a ready made family. i have no kids of my own, just the step kids. they are grown now, married and living near us, reletively speaking. my story goes back to a time when the youngest one was having problems. i cant describe what the "child" did as a youngster of about, maybe 10-12 years old, as i still must protect my anonyminity. it did however involve the courts, and the law. we we ordered to seek professional help. we complied. it might have been more helpfull than the help i sought from the elders. when i approached them upon learning of what was done by "child", i did so thinking, they are trained to help with these kinds of things, and they can direct us on what to do, as i was still learning how to bring up kids, i didnt know half of what i thought i did. but alas, thats where my mistake was made, i thought they would help. when we asked to meet with a couple of elders for advise, and how well the words still ring in my ears now, i'll never forget sitting down and after telling mr. p.o. what happened, the look on his face and the words spoken, "if i had know it was this serious, i would have requested another elder to be here, this is a judicial commitee matter." i was shocked. the "child" was not baptized. at the time there was not the situation where people were viewed as unbaptized publishers or not. the way they dealt with them was to shun even someone who was not baptized. i forget the exact terminoligy. those of you who have been around a long time know what i mean. anyways they help i received was that the "child" was in effect disfellowshipped, and no one could talk with the "child", or associated with the "child". we fought. we took the "child" to professionals and doctors. rather, my wife did. i called the c.o. out of assembly to talk to him. in the end the child was announced as an unfit associate, someone to be shunned. this at 10-12 years old. this started my down slide as a servant of the borg, as i look back now. how could this be done to someone who wasn't a baptized slave of the borg? i questioned the elders as to my standing, i didnt think i should remain as a m.s. they said it was ok to remain as such, i questioned that. for my own reasons. i thought i had failed. as a father, as a servant of god, and as someone respected in the congregation. i remained a m.s. at their request. for a while. in the mean time my "child" needless to say could not be talked to. which meant, we became a little closer, because rather than my wife suffer the shame of leaving the meetings right away to take the "child" out to the car, i did it. we had a regular appointment on saturdays, community service, which i brought the "child" to most of the time. the "child" actually grew fond of it. i dont know who helped more, in the "childs" recovery, the law, and their decisions, or the elders in shunning a child. in the end, the "child turned out to be a very responsible young "child". married and is expecting a child soon. yes, the "child" is STILL in the borg. as i am for the moment. i guess i'll be a granpa of sorts. but those thoughts nag at me continually, why? was it the right thing to do? would that happen now if faced with a child who had done the same sort of thing? in the end, i'd have to say, for me, going to the elders was a mistake. though they would have found out eventually, i think i made the wrong moves. for the "right" reasons, as i saw them at that time. a few years later, i came to my crossroads. even without quite understanding why, i wrote a letter stating i wanted to be removed as a servant. i stated simply i could no longer fullfill those responsibilitys requested of me. and rather than give it to the p.o., i gave it directly to the c.o. when he came to visit. that caused a big problem. everyone wanted to help me now. i said thanks, but no thanks. even now, i'm due for a sheparding call. they want me to step up to the plate. why should i? all i get is curve balls. even pedro martinez throws a heater once in a while.

thats my story of going to the elders. my recomendation is don't do it unless your ready for the trial.

thanks for letting me blow off some steam.

__
    zev
    Sitting on the Wrong Side of the Fence Class

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

Zev,

You mention in your post that you "felt like a failure". Please know that you are NOT a failure, at all!! Both you and your wife have done a great job (and, in the face of some serious obstacles!!), as in proof of raising a responsible young man, and helping to correct his course! You and your wife should both be proud of your accomplishment!! I have seen this sort of thing on many occaisions in many congregations (giving up on youths due to "youthful indescretions), and it reminds me of Jesus words to the Scribes and Pharisees. I can't remember the exact quote, but words to the effect that they would 'traverse lands and seas to make a convert, but not lift a finger to help a fellow brother'. It seems they wouldn't do anything to help much in this situation, other than "mark" your stepson, and I think that is sad!! I applaud your endurance to still be a JW in the face of all of this!!

Take care!!

Pooh

• philo
    philo

Moxy,

I went to an elder, at his request, as I was leaving. He asked me about my differences from WT law. As he asked this he got out a pen and paper. How transparent is that? So I trotted out some vague opinions on minor issues, and emphasisied my 'feeling' rather than doctrinal points. It was so obvious that his job was to collect evidence, a confession statement. It was quite beautiful, really.

philo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit