Which Org 'directives' did you blatantly ignore

by Tallon 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tallon
    Tallon

I remember that we were always encouraged to let everyone at work know that you were one of JW's and therefore would not participate in any of their functions, parties etc.

This I outrightly refused to do. My reasoning was that I was employed and paid to do a job and therefore my religious beliefs were a personal matter and therefore had nothing to do with my work. Secondly I had to work with these people. If someone had a birthday, I wished the person a happy birthday and accepted a slice cake offered.

On occasions, I asked my colleagues for advice or assistance with a particular work issue, which they gladly helped me out. If I had snubbed them and threw their generosity back in their face, would they be inclined to help me? I think not!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I didn't mange to read the Bible every day.

Which reminds be of a joke,

A successful comedian says younger comedians on their way up approach him and ask his secret of success. He tells them it's two hours of Bible reading every day. He explains that it doesn't stop them completely but it slows them down.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I ignored the directive related to no education. I continued to pursue an advanced degree even as an elder.

I never told anyone, if they found out I would simply say that I was taking some classes required by my employer - and then change the subject.

• freddo
    freddo

I ignored the directive not to masturbate.

(Not that I didn't have a conscience to start with but what with no mention of it in the bible - Onanism doesn't count, sorry - I soon stopped feeling guilty.)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In the 90's when they dropped requiring donations for printed material and STRONGLY suggested giving the householder an opportunity to donate to the "worldwide Bible educational work" I NEVER asked for a donation again. In fact I always gave the magazines away. Paying for them twice, once when I obtained the literature and then again when they did was BS. They even wanted THAT money. Screw them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Tallon - "Which Org 'directives' did you blatantly ignore?"

To "hate the World" and everything in it...

...although it wasn't so much "blatantly ignore", but more "simply wasn't able to do".

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In the end, I did next to no personal "study(??)". I read the rags to get the essence of it, and I did prepare for Number Two Talks I got assigned for. In all, that would take the better part of 5 minutes to prepare for a talk, and about 30 minutes to read a whole rag through (when they were 32 pages). Beyond that, study would simply be a boring waste of my time.

As the Official Understanding often deviated from anything found in that damnation book, or simply could not be deduced by reading it, studying the damnation book was a complete waste of time. Often, there was a blatant way around what was in the washtowel rags: Armageddon being close and getting closer, but never getting here was one. I would think of mathematical equations where two simultaneous equations would graph closer and closer without actually merging or crossing each other. The simplest one I could find was the graph of the equations Y=0 and Y=1/X. Both would be close together and ever getting closer, but would never merge.

I did let my employers and workmates know I was a jokehovian at one time, and I got stung doing so.

• Divergent
    Divergent

slimboyfat:

A successful comedian says younger comedians on their way up approach him and ask his secret of success. He tells them it's two hours of Bible reading every day. He explains that it doesn't stop them completely but it slows them down.

Actually the bible is a great source of inspiration for comedy

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Divergent...

Sure.

Black comedy, but comedy nonetheless... :smirk:

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

In the years I was a JW I ignored the following things (not in a specific order) that have specific directives from the WT:

1. I went to college
    2. I had sex
    3. I had sex in the Kingdom Hall
    4. I had sex in the Assembiles
    5. I had sex while preaching
    6. I had sex during the memorial
    7. I had sex with a few brothers
    8. I lied about having sex
    9. I lied about the hours I preached
    10. I played the lottery
    11. I got involved in politics
    12. I celebrated my and other people's birthdays
    13. I lied to my bones about a whole lot of other things
    14. I lied to coworkers and some friends about being a JW
    15. I lied at work about what JWs are and aren't allowed
    16. I supported a friend who was having an abortion
    17. I directed people to other religious organizations
    18. I rarely read the magazines and literature; when I did it was because I felt obligated
    19. I told my mom that the JWs are full of --it
    20. I went to clubs
    21. I danced to Disco music
    22. I vogued to Madonna in the 90s
    23. I watched pretty much every Hollywood movie made in the 80s
    24. I had fancy haircuts, fashionable clothing (that i used to going to the clubs)
    25. I went to Rock concerts
    26. I got involved in activism
    27. I read other religious literature
    28. I integrated a few concepts of Budhism
    29. I participated in a few competitions (and won) in school
    30. I beat the crap out of some homophobic idiot that attempted to bully me
    31. I didn't get married in the congregation
    32. Said a lot of "bless you" after people sneezed
    33. Had a boyfriend
    34. Lied about having a boyfriend
    35. Had a JW girlfriend at the same time I had a boyfriend
    36. Brought the boyfriend to the KH with the excuse that he "was interested". Sat between him and my girlfriend
    37. Told a person I was giving Bible studies to stop taking them and encouraged him to look for spirituality somewhere else

Those are a just few things I went against WT directives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit