September 1, 2017 BOE Re: Protecting Minors From Abuse?

by wifibandit 35 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

I have it in Spanish for now:

1 de septiembre de 2017 A LOS CUERPOS DE ANCIANOS Asunto: Protección de los menores contra el abuso

Please send this letter to me from any branch you have access to, in any language.

PM here, PM reddit or Twitter, or gmail: wifibandit1

• darkspilver
  • Gayle
    Gayle

any change in wt policy noted?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Gayle: any change in wt policy noted?

It looks like three sentences have been inserted - there is another change, but it seems to be a word change

Obvs need to wait for the English version, but in the mean-time, this is what I've spotted so far, paragraph 14 rather stands out at the bottom.....

Paragraph 1: (from Spanish via Google Translate)

Please read it in its entirety and take care to pay attention to the updated instructions in paragraphs 3, 7, 13 and 14.

Paragraph 3: (from Spanish via Google Translate)

Inserted at end: Therefore, when the victim, his parents or any other person present to the elders an accusation of this nature, they should be clearly informed about their right to file a complaint with the authorities. The elders do not criticize anyone who chooses that choice (Galatians 6: 5).

Paragraph 7: (from Spanish via Google Translate)

?

Paragraph 13: (from Spanish via Google Translate)

Inserted near end: Generally speaking, the elderly should be able to obtain the necessary information from the parents. In addition, it is possible that the elders already have sufficient evidence to establish the commission of the evil (chapters 5 paras 37-39).

Paragraph 14: (from Spanish via Google Translate)

Inserted at end: Although victims of sexual abuse are not prosecuted, if the body of elders considers that the congregation should take action in the case of a mature child who voluntarily participated in the commission of the wrong, two of its members should call the Department of Service before proceeding.
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

I'm surprised they have said that ks10 paragraph 19 of chapter 12 should be crossed out.

19. Child abuse is a crime. Never suggest to any-
    one that they should not report an allegation
    of child abuse to the police or other authorities.
    If you are asked, make it clear that whether to report
    the matter to the authorities or not is a personal
    decision for each individual to make and that there
    are no congregation sanctions for either decision. El-
    ders will not criticize anyone who reports such an al-
    legation to the authorities. If the victim wishes to
    make a report, it is his or her absolute right to do so.
    —Gal. 6:5.
  • sir82
    sir82

I'm surprised they have said that ks10 paragraph 19 of chapter 12 should be crossed out.

Seems that the new policy is slightly more proactive.

They've gone from a passive "Never suggest to anyone that they should not report..." to a more robust "Therefore, when the victim, his parents or any other person present to the elders an accusation of this nature, they should be clearly informed about their right to file a complaint with the authorities. "

A step, however tiny, in the right direction, at least.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Good catch sir82

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Omg am i the only one who sees paragraph 13 as an end to the two witness rule?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Par 14 = seriously f**ked up.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

_Morpheus: Omg am i the only one who sees paragraph 13 as an end to the two witness rule?

I don't think so - paragraph 13 of the letter references ks10 chapter 5 paragraphs 37-39, on pages 71 and 72, which deals with 'two witnesses'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit