Anyone notice JW old publications are going way up in price?

by Tobyjones262 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• zeb
    zeb
    It could be that die hard jw are buying them up to keep ordinary folks from doing some research on the wt early pronouncements.
  • fastJehu
    fastJehu

What can a JW collect without being disciplined?

The more JW there are, the greater the number of those who collect JW publications. With the launch of the library cd, most have disposed their publications, many regret it and buy their stuff back from the market. The prices point in only one direction.

I also collect the german publications myself. Also the thin-print-publications (very thin bible paper and smaller size) without imprint of the producer for the DDR (Deutsche Demonratische Republik = German Democratic Republic). It's named "prohibition literature" which was smuggled across the border by JWs at the time.

When the border between the GDR and Germany was abolished in 1990, the JWs were again able to move freely in the former GDR and publicly hold their meetings.

It is interesting to note that the branch asked the brothers of the former GDR to hand in this banned literature in the Kingdom Halls and then received the "normal" publications.

Today this banned literature is very rarely on offer - there seem to have been only a few brothers who opposed this order of the branch and did not deliver it to the Kingdom Halls.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Quite frankly, when I threw away my watchtower library, I couldn't help but think that many of those books would go up in value. But at that time, I was so infuriated by how they lied to me and manipulated my life that I simply wanted to forget about them. I also feared that these books would somehow land in the hands of my kids who could be mislead.

Looking back, I regret this. I would keep that library for the same reason I would hold a copy of Mein Kampf: History.

• Nambo
    Nambo

I sold a motorcycle to a friends son, I have known the family since 1968

I was surprised to see he had a complete collection of the original "Studies in the Scriptures", the fella had never been a Dub though his parents used to take the magazines. I think he had them for decoration, to look good on his bookshelf. He obviously never read them or had a clue what they were about.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Oh my God I am rich! I do have a retirement fund. Lol. Still Totally ADD

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

True enough. Obviously. As the price of older publications corkscrews upwards, just as supply and demand. Captain obvious here.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Is the old “truth” book worth anything?

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ Biahi

The 1968-version rather not. Too many were produced. The majority of the books are used - an unused one could be worth a few dollar/euro. In germany most of the offered books are below 5 euro.

The 1981-version with the revised text is harder to find and therefore worth something more to a collector.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit